Author Topic: 1971 Ambassador revival  (Read 15516 times)

Offline demet

• Hatchling
Re: 1971 Ambassador revival
« Reply #120 on: November 07, 2021, 03:46:03 PM »
I would like that flexibility as they are quite limited, but for now as they are in good condition and I want to make progress to toward getting bike running I will just clip ends and replace connector, but will be on list to upgrade at some point!

Replace the battery cable. I like to use one long enough to go to either terminal, that way you have more battery options later on.

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #121 on: November 07, 2021, 05:11:54 PM »
OK I'm ordering LED tail lights and turn signal bulbs, and the flasher. Will need to research where the flasher goes. I'm going to try installing the bar end turn signals today, at least get them test fitted. Vintage repo switch you recommended is on order.

Unrelated question: should I put hose clamps on the airfilter boot to velocity stack connection?

Thanks!

If you're installing bar-ends signals, the bulbs I linked to won't fit. They're for original or original type signals that use an 1156 bulb only. Hella/repro signals use festoon type bulbs.

If the boot is old and stretched a bit, it doesn't hurt to put clamps on it at the velocity stacks.
Charlie

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #122 on: November 07, 2021, 10:00:39 PM »
OK so the festoon are the only option for the bar end signals? Maybe I could get in there and install a socket for the LED?

Also I removed the left hand grip and found this, which is maybe a filled bar? I tried to drill into it, but not much luck with bits I have.

My bike did come with an extra handlebar, slightly narrower, if the one on the bike now is not usable for the bar end signals, which I am committed to. I would need to get it re-chromed I guess. Or just buy a new handlebar?

If you're installing bar-ends signals, the bulbs I linked to won't fit. They're for original or original type signals that use an 1156 bulb only. Hella/repro signals use festoon type bulbs.

If the boot is old and stretched a bit, it doesn't hurt to put clamps on it at the velocity stacks.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 10:01:14 PM by demet »

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #123 on: November 07, 2021, 10:05:22 PM »
OK so the festoon are the only option for the bar end signals? Maybe I could get in there and install a socket for the LED?

Also I removed the left hand grip and found this, which is maybe a filled bar? I tried to drill into it, but not much luck with bits I have.

My bike did come with an extra handlebar, slightly narrower, if the one on the bike now is not usable for the bar end signals, which I am committed to. I would need to get it re-chromed I guess. Or just buy a new handlebar?

There's not enough room for any other type of bulb and socket. Festoons work well, so there's really nothing to be gained. LED festoons are available as well.

New 'bars are available:
https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=52&products_id=286
https://www.harpermoto.com/12600300-12600100.html
Charlie

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #123 on: November 07, 2021, 10:05:22 PM »

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #124 on: November 07, 2021, 11:04:23 PM »
There's not enough room for any other type of bulb and socket. Festoons work well, so there's really nothing to be gained. LED festoons are available as well.

New 'bars are available:
https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=52&products_id=286
https://www.harpermoto.com/12600300-12600100.html

Hmmm, the LED festoons are only one sided though correct? Not good for the double sided Hella bar-end turn signals I guess. Will stick with the regular bulb for now I guess.

I'm going to see if these spare handlebars will clean up enough for me, or will buy new. I'm guessing re-chroming is not economical.

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #125 on: November 08, 2021, 06:45:09 AM »

I have a brand new civilian-bend bar. It's a repro but in perfect condition, never used. It's the one MG Cycles sells. Shoot a PM if you want it, I'll cut ya a deal.
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #126 on: November 08, 2021, 08:26:36 AM »
Hmmm, the LED festoons are only one sided though correct? Not good for the double sided Hella bar-end turn signals I guess. Will stick with the regular bulb for now I guess.

I'm going to see if these spare handlebars will clean up enough for me, or will buy new. I'm guessing re-chroming is not economical.

The 'bars shown mounted to the bike aren't the originals, the other one looks to be.

Charlie

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #127 on: November 08, 2021, 11:21:54 PM »
Thank you! I sent you a PM but not sure it went through, hard to know...?

I have a brand new civilian-bend bar. It's a repro but in perfect condition, never used. It's the one MG Cycles sells. Shoot a PM if you want it, I'll cut ya a deal.

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #128 on: November 09, 2021, 09:08:56 PM »
So I ordered the petcock adaptors to work with the small block petcocks, both purchased from MG Cycle. And the adaptors have the same problem, threading into the tank they get hand tight a few millimeters short of contact, just like the ones that came with the bike. Are they meant to get tighter and I should wrench them on? Doesn't feel right, unless it's intentional??? Both adaptors do it on both sides, and threads look OK. And advice? I don't want to force them on and mess up the threads.

So I think these petcock adaptors I have (from PO) are in fact just plumbing compression couplers or something. They only thread into the tank 4-5 turns before they start to get tight. Both pieces do it on both sides of the tank. My first instinct was to get out a wrench and force them on, but maybe not a good idea? I suspect they are not metric threads... Also they are not threaded internally. I did come up with a trick way to get the screens that came with petcocks from MGcycle to work with them, but now I'm thinking I will just punt and buy the proper adaptors from MGCycle, and screens from John Chicoine.

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #129 on: November 09, 2021, 09:52:41 PM »
So I ordered the petcock adaptors to work with the small block petcocks, both purchased from MG Cycle. And the adaptors have the same problem, threading into the tank they get hand tight a few millimeters short of contact, just like the ones that came with the bike. Are they meant to get tighter and I should wrench them on? Doesn't feel right, unless it's intentional??? Both adaptors do it on both sides, and threads look OK. And advice? I don't want to force them on and mess up the threads.

They should thread in completely, you'll damage them if you just "wrench them on". Buy an M12-1.0 tap and chase the threads in the tank.
Charlie

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #130 on: November 09, 2021, 10:41:07 PM »
On it, was thinking this might be the way, thank youuuu!

They should thread in completely, you'll damage them if you just "wrench them on". Buy an M12-1.0 tap and chase the threads in the tank.

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #131 on: November 10, 2021, 04:30:37 AM »
I think you have a handlebar solution but here is a tip on choosing bars. Take two pencils and grasp them in the palms of your hands. Hold them out and approximate your riding position. Observe the angle your hands naturally come to and that’s the bar bend to look for.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #132 on: November 11, 2021, 11:58:35 AM »
Alright alright, petcocks installed ;-) But the adapters I purchased from MGCycle are not internally threaded, as advertised on This Old Tractor, so doubt I will be able to use the screens I've ordered from John C.... ;-/

And battery installed, is it OK that I used 10 gauge wire for the ground, versus the 12 gauge that I think was there before?

Air filter re-oiled and installed. Waiting to bodge the boot on until I'm sure my carb rebuild passes muster.

Handlebars removed, new repo switch in hand, will test fit - along with hella-repos - on original handlebars, pending new ones.

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #133 on: November 11, 2021, 05:54:31 PM »
Alright alright, petcocks installed ;-) But the adapters I purchased from MGCycle are not internally threaded, as advertised on This Old Tractor, so doubt I will be able to use the screens I've ordered from John C.... ;-/

And battery installed, is it OK that I used 10 gauge wire for the ground, versus the 12 gauge that I think was there before?

Air filter re-oiled and installed. Waiting to bodge the boot on until I'm sure my carb rebuild passes muster.

Handlebars removed, new repo switch in hand, will test fit - along with hella-repos - on original handlebars, pending new ones.

The adapters aren't internally threaded, at least none of the four sets I've purchased were. One can thread them though.

10 ga. isn't nearly heavy enough for a main ground cable. 6 ga. at least.
Charlie

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #134 on: November 11, 2021, 08:21:03 PM »
10 ga. isn't nearly heavy enough for a main ground cable. 6 ga. at least.
I think I misspoke, I meant the secondary, smaller wire attached to the negative terminal along with the 4/6 gauge wire (that is the main ground right?). It was the smaller one that burned out when I shorted the battery last week. I think it was 12 gauge and I used 10 gauge to replace it.

Here's my current battery installation.

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #135 on: November 20, 2021, 10:02:46 PM »
Thanks dude!

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #136 on: July 04, 2022, 11:22:49 PM »
Hey guys I'm back to working on my bike, want to get it on the road in the next couple of weeks! Currently focused on installing new switch and bar-end signals to the new handlebars. Can anyone point me at any info on installing this switch, I think the four wires on the left go into the headlight bucket, but what about the plug thingie, where does that plug into?

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #137 on: July 05, 2022, 12:15:49 AM »
If you know what the switch is from, Benders site has the wiring diagrams for the common ones. He also makes adapters to go from the switch wires to the stock bike wires.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #138 on: July 05, 2022, 08:25:57 AM »
Hey guys I'm back to working on my bike, want to get it on the road in the next couple of weeks! Currently focused on installing new switch and bar-end signals to the new handlebars. Can anyone point me at any info on installing this switch, I think the four wires on the left go into the headlight bucket, but what about the plug thingie, where does that plug into?

Is that a repro Kawasaki switch? Any identifying markings on the underside? As Tom H wrote, Greg Bender has how to wire a bunch of switches on his website. If it's the Kawasaki switch for instance:
https://www.thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_loopframe_handlebar_switch_-_kawasaki_46091-005_-asahi-denso-.html
Charlie

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #139 on: July 05, 2022, 12:19:38 PM »
Thanks guys, yes it is the Kawasaki you recommended, and I am aware of the Bender page but it only tells me the colors. Do all the wires go into the headlight bucket? I haven't opened that up, will do so today. Maybe it will be obvious then but I doubt it haha. I also have the wiring diagram from the manual but man it's like hieroglyphics. I will work through it!

I guess it's the 'plug' on the right in my picture that I'm not sure where that plugs into, or do I need to snip it off and find mates for the individual wires?

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #140 on: July 05, 2022, 01:03:16 PM »
Thanks guys, yes it is the Kawasaki you recommended, and I am aware of the Bender page but it only tells me the colors. Do all the wires go into the headlight bucket? I haven't opened that up, will do so today. Maybe it will be obvious then but I doubt it haha. I also have the wiring diagram from the manual but man it's like hieroglyphics. I will work through it!

I guess it's the 'plug' on the right in my picture that I'm not sure where that plugs into, or do I need to snip it off and find mates for the individual wires?

Cut the plug and any other Kawasaki terminals off, crimp on new terminals. Depending on handlebars, you may need to lengthen the wires to reach. The three signal wires go in under the tank (assuming you have the factory signal harness - available from Greg Bender if not), the rest go to the headlight.
Charlie

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #141 on: July 07, 2022, 07:36:24 PM »

Cut the plug and any other Kawasaki terminals off, crimp on new terminals. Depending on handlebars, you may need to lengthen the wires to reach. The three signal wires go in under the tank (assuming you have the factory signal harness - available from Greg Bender if not), the rest go to the headlight.
OK thanks, I opened the headlight and can figure that out, but not sure about where the signal wires go. How do I know if I have the signal harness or not? Can you tell from this picture? I don't see any wires that I would connect the signal wires from the switch to. I don't mind buying the harness from Greg Bender, but it feels like I'm opening a can of worms that doesn't need to be opened. The wiring overall seems OK and intact so do I really need to undo all that, can't I just wire in the signals??

I found the 'Turn signal wiring diagram' from Bender. Do I need a flasher unit? I wish there was a write up on this, there must be. I'll hunt some more.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 07:44:25 PM by demet »

czakky82

« Reply #142 on: July 07, 2022, 08:03:53 PM »
 :shocked: What would the “write up” be?
I don’t see turn signal wires. You found Greg’s website. He’s got a fantastic bunch of colored wiring diagrams. Did you go through those?

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #143 on: July 07, 2022, 08:21:29 PM »

OK thanks, I opened the headlight and can figure that out, but not sure about where the signal wires go. How do I know if I have the signal harness or not? Can you tell from this picture? I don't see any wires that I would connect the signal wires from the switch to. I don't mind buying the harness from Greg Bender, but it feels like I'm opening a can of worms that doesn't need to be opened. The wiring overall seems OK and intact so do I really need to undo all that, can't I just wire in the signals??

I found the 'Turn signal wiring diagram' from Bender. Do I need a flasher unit? I wish there was a write up on this, there must be. I'll hunt some more.

The signal harness is separate harness, so you won't need to do anything with the main harness. Yes, you need a flasher unit, I'd recommend this one or something similar sourced locally:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MJGC28B

This should help: https://www.thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_loopframe_wiring_harness_install_turn_signals.html
Charlie

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #144 on: July 08, 2022, 03:53:56 PM »
Thank you Charlie, flasher ordered and I've contacted Greg Bender about a sub-harness. Progress! Maybe I'll make a little video of installation for others wanting to do it.

The signal harness is separate harness, so you won't need to do anything with the main harness. Yes, you need a flasher unit, I'd recommend this one or something similar sourced locally:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MJGC28B

This should help: https://www.thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_loopframe_wiring_harness_install_turn_signals.html

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #145 on: July 17, 2022, 07:12:48 PM »
Hi Charlie, the Kawasaki 46091-005 switch has two groups of wires in sheaths coming out of it, one goes to the headlight bucket, and the other has the turn signal wiring and the horn. On thisoldtractor the wiring table says 'Horn (wire to distribution panel)'. Do I need to separate the horn wire and route it independently to the headlight bucket to wear the original horn wire was plugged in? Or is the 'distribution panel' somewhere else? Thank you.

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #146 on: July 17, 2022, 08:56:24 PM »
Hi Charlie, the Kawasaki 46091-005 switch has two groups of wires in sheaths coming out of it, one goes to the headlight bucket, and the other has the turn signal wiring and the horn. On thisoldtractor the wiring table says 'Horn (wire to distribution panel)'. Do I need to separate the horn wire and route it independently to the headlight bucket to wear the original horn wire was plugged in? Or is the 'distribution panel' somewhere else? Thank you.

I remove the horn wire from the signal bundle and slip it into the sheath with the wires to the headlight. It connects the same place as the original horn wire.
Charlie

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #147 on: July 21, 2022, 07:26:49 PM »
I remove the horn wire from the signal bundle and slip it into the sheath with the wires to the headlight. It connects the same place as the original horn wire.
I couldn't get the wire in the other sheath, not enough room. So I just sliced the sheath open lol, will tape it shut. But the good news is it's all wired together and working! Thanks again for the help.

I do have one stray wire, can't remember where it connects, it comes from the voltage regulator. Any insight into where it goes? See picture.

I'm thinking of ordering these tires, any opinions on them?
Shinko 230 Tour Master Rear Tire (120/90-18)
Shinko 230 Tour Master Front Tire - 110/90V-18/Blackwall

Reading Greg Bender he says "110/90-18 in the rear and a 100/90-18 up front"...?

« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 07:30:14 PM by demet »

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #148 on: July 21, 2022, 08:29:02 PM »
I couldn't get the wire in the other sheath, not enough room. So I just sliced the sheath open lol, will tape it shut. But the good news is it's all wired together and working! Thanks again for the help.

I do have one stray wire, can't remember where it connects, it comes from the voltage regulator. Any insight into where it goes? See picture.

I'm thinking of ordering these tires, any opinions on them?
Shinko 230 Tour Master Rear Tire (120/90-18)
Shinko 230 Tour Master Front Tire - 110/90V-18/Blackwall

Reading Greg Bender he says "110/90-18 in the rear and a 100/90-18 up front"...?

If it goes to the B+ terminal on the voltage regulator, then it connects to the positive terminal of the battery.

Those are the tires and sizes I use on my own Ambo, and install on customer's Loops.
Charlie

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #149 on: March 23, 2023, 04:16:47 PM »
Hi guys quick question on routing fuel lines. I'm using the dual banjo setup, does it matter if the fuel lines go below the carbs? Looking at some pictures it looks like it's OK if they do so. Or do they need to stay above te floats for gravity to pull fuel? Trying to find cleanest install I can and it seems like going under might be helpful. Thanks.

Also, do people ever run fuel lines diagonally, as in right petcock feeds left carb and vice versa?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 04:25:03 PM by demet »

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here