General Category > General Discussion

I need to learn how to….

<< < (3/5) > >>

ridingron:

--- Quote ---... and ask him (or her), to perform the functions in your presence the following day while you watch.                 
--- End quote ---

This or maybe try to perform the functions yourself with the Guzzi Coach keeping you on track.

bobrebos:
I can work on my 1972 Honda cb750 chopper, rebuild carbs, change carb jets, do brakes, tires, fluid change (oil and brake) cut and replace chain etc etc.  something to be said for being able to work on the older bikes anyways.  I may not understand the new bikes electronics but the old chopper gets me around!   Who needs four valves per cylinder, dual overhead cams, computerized fuel injection, etc, when you can keep it simple and be able to work on it?!  Lol

flower_king001:

--- Quote from: ridingron on May 20, 2022, 10:58:25 PM ---This or maybe try to perform the functions yourself with the Guzzi Coach keeping you on track.

--- End quote ---

Good point...that is what I did years ago and happy to say none of my 4 Guzzi's have ever been to a so called SHOP.

Dave Swanson:
AND, before the spanners come out  - Find out where the SACRED SCREW is and stay far away from it!!!!!

Lots of spot on advice.  When I did my first tune up on the Norge I knew nothing, but I followed Beetle's and Pete Roper's instructions to the letter and it worked out perfectly.   

80CX100:
Only you know what is right for you.

It sounds like you may have a gremlin going on already causing grief, that a simple tuneup, may not cure, I'd hate to see you end up chasing your tail in frustration because of a minor loose connection or corrosion issue.

If you don't have the headspace and capacity for digital frustration but have the wallet to pay for someone with skills, put it on someone else's shoulders. If Steve recommends Sloans and they're close by to you, done deal, headache is over.

If you decide to jump into the tuning yourself, set yourself up for success.

If you search here and elsewhere, Beetle has uploaded excellent instructions for a basic simple tune up, read it a few times, as mentioned print it out so you have it.

Lonelec cables, laptop(any old windows laptop to simplify it) with the right guzzidiag for your bike/ECU, simple homemade tube manometer and make sure that you do the mechanical part of the tuneup BEFORE you jump into the digital crap; ie valves adjusted, throttle bodies are closing properly so you have good baselines to start from.

As mentioned, setting it all up and getting connected and recognized is the biggest hurdle, the first time I tuned my GRISO, it took me all night to get the laptop, ECU, Lonelec Cable reading properly, once I was finally in, the tuneup only took 10-15 minutes.

I agree as someone else mentioned, because I do it so rarely, and each bike is a little different, I have to relearn it each time, because I forget the fine details; but it is extremely satisfying getting things all tuned up,synched and running sweet on your own.

fwiw good luck

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version