General Category > General Discussion

Distributor felt? V7 Sport

(1/2) > >>

earemike:
I hope someone with experience can help me with a quick question.

Did the V7 Sport distributors contain felt in the centre (or center if you prefer)?

As a pre-electronic ignition kid you'd always check the felt, if it was dry you'd add a little oil for lubrication. Given my dizzy doesn't have a felt it either doesn't need it or at some stage went missing.

If I need felt, any suggestions? If not does the centre need any lube?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Vasco DG:
Yes, it originally would of had a felt pad. I just use a dab of grease on the points heels.

Pete

Dick:

--- Quote from: earemike on January 18, 2015, 06:03:47 AM --- If not does the centre need any lube?

--- End quote ---

Yes, a drop or two of oil keeps the mechanical advance lubed. Having the felt in place is probably a good idea. You can probably purchase it from any reputable Guzzi parts dealer, or try an auto parts store. Lots of points distributors used it (felt) when mechanical advance was commonplace.

You could also try your favorite felt store. :)

guzzisteve:
For replacing the lost felt, go to hardware store or Home Depot and get the polishing pad,s for a dremel tool, not the cloth ones but the felt ones. Trim w/razor blade to fit.

jacksonracingcomau:
I use a piece of absorbent foam, actually not for the advance spring mech (I spray chain wax in there for that)
The idea is to keep the heels of points lubricated without getting oil or grease on faces themselves.
Anything that holds some oil should work fine, centrifugal force gets it out, Steve's dremel pad sounds easy to get, thin oil is good.
Annual attention, clean fuel tap filters while tank is off, world is good

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version