General Category > General Discussion

Blew the intake boot off, now the idle is high...

(1/3) > >>

radguzzi:

Blew the intake boot off, now the idle is high...

This past week I was out geocaching on the V11 Cali Jackal and the frequency of the stops on the straight, busy city street was nearly every tenth of a mile, probably should have used the bicycle but I didn't. 

Well the engine gets hot of course but really no more than when in slow moving traffic or when stopping at traffic lights every friggin' tenth of a mile, I didn't think too much of it until, at one restart, the left side intake runner/boot/manifold rubber burped off the actual intake manifold on the head.

I pulled the m/c into the parking lot, pulled out the trusty Leatherman and loosened the clamps, slid the rubber back into place, adjusted the rest of the assembly back into the air box as need and rode off.

Directly after I noticed that the idle was higher than it had been prior to the incident.

When I got back home I loosened everything back up and readjusted the assemblies, both sides in fact however, the idle is still too high, not by a great deal mind you, just higher than normal.

I cannot imagine what took place to have the idle gain during the burping incident...? ? ?   ???

To make the idle go down, I can actually reach down on the left side, push the linkage against the direction of the pull of the assembly and the idle goes back down.

The Big Question:
Can I simply turn the idle adjustment screw on the right side by 1/4 turn to bring it down or will that mess up TPS settings or TB balancing..?   I am not adept at tuning on the more modern FI engines, I should be but I am not... :-[

Thanks much,
Rob

rdbandkab:
Could you have tweaked a butterfly?

Cheese:
Or perhaps a vacuum line came off the manifold or separated downstream somewhere?

twhitaker:
Make sure the linkage rod is not fouled on adjacent components. Throttle cable too.

PeteS:
Did you loosen both throttle bodies before tightening everything up? When the one side blew off it likely tugged on the opposite side. BTDT.

Pete

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version