Author Topic: Replacing Brake Rotor Bolts  (Read 1557 times)

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
Replacing Brake Rotor Bolts
« on: January 17, 2022, 10:25:41 AM »
When replacing brake rotor bolts, can any grade steel be used, or does the high torque and the hub’s alloy threads dictate a certain softness/give for bolt threads?

The V7’s rotor bolts are a flange-head type, no recess in the rotor that I recall. The ham-fisted utilitarian wants to replace them with hex head bolts, knowing that rotor bolts can sometimes get stuck and strip their heads. Maybe external hex head style is overkill.

Regardless of head type, would stainless steel bolts be OK to use? Regardless of material, I’ll plan on using blue threadlocker.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 10:43:03 AM by Dirk_S »
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
Re: Replacing Brake Rotor Bolts
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 12:21:39 PM »
Stainless Allen heads, property class 70 or better is ok . 80 is overkill but don’t use 60
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 12:23:30 PM by John A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online John Croucher

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 01:49:20 PM »
Stainless Allen heads, property class 70 or better is ok . 80 is overkill but don’t use 60

McMaster Carr is a good source. 

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 02:28:01 PM »
The advice AFAIK is not to use stainless for disc rotor bolts due to the lower yield stress, and use either carbon steel (or titanium)

I've used stainless bolts for a long time in brake rotors and not experienced any problems but there are quite a few threads warning of dire consequences

Perhaps others know more than I do, but personally I wouldn't be worried about changing the head type as long as it covered the same area (or greater) on the rotor.

If the flanged heads use an Allen key, I find these bolts a PIA as they usually utilize one key size down from a normal cap screw of the same bolt thread so round off the hex a lot easier.

That said it's usually quite easy to remove them if they round off by cutting a slot into the domed head the use a small chisel (or old screwdriver) and whack the fastener with a small hammer to shock the screw out.

If you want to use a hex I'd just purchase flanged hex bolts instead

That's just my experience, there might be some engineering reason for the head type, but I'd guess it's more likely for cost/aesthetic reasons

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 02:28:01 PM »

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 04:20:12 PM »
Just for clarity, the V7 uses flanged external hex head, not a socket cap (Allen). My Ural’s rotors used socket caps, and it freaked me out when trying to remove them and found the mating to be corroded. Went through 3 different Allen wrenches before I found one tough enough to break the corrosive bond. I was thinking that the flanged hex might simply be more aesthetically pleasing over a bulky looking, larger diameter standard hex head bolt.

There could be some type of clearance issue, but that side on both wheels also has the ABS sensor wheel attached and sticking farther out.

Another thought that came to mind is that perhaps a smaller head is correlative to the amount of torque that bolt is specified for. Smaller head = don’t overdo it, dummy.

I have to spend some time learning more about steel / bolt grades.

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline Mike Tashjian

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2022, 04:53:07 PM »
I thought a propane torch was needed to soften the Locktite on some brake rotor bolts.  I think 450 degrees was the temperature that you aim for.  And it really doesn't seem to bother the paint if you aim for the bolt head.   

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2022, 06:38:10 PM »
The factory fasteners for brake discs are one time use. If I’m concerned about clamping under the head with a smaller diameter, I use AN 560 (5/16) aviation washers. I attempted to drill the heads on some property class 80 stainless Allen heads that I use for discs . I was using them elsewhere and needed to safety wire them so it’s a simple task to drill them. Not so with class 80’s, even going up to a 40 (large)drill bit.  I’ll order some 70’s, they are roughly equivalent to a grade 5 and are at least soft enough to drill.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 09:10:15 AM by John A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline rschrum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2022, 06:50:40 PM »
I like the titanium offerings from ProBolt.
15 GRISO
00 ZX12r
07 Tuono Factory
01 ZRX 1200R
19 Monster 1200R
2012 MV Agusta Brutale 1090R
08 Ducati s4rs Tricolore
22 Indian FTR Championship
Central Iowa

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2022, 09:20:58 AM »
Metric stainless has a different marking and specs system. It goes like this: 40 is soft, 70 and 80. similar to SAE grades 2,5,8
https://www.fastenal.com/en/76/metric-system-and-specifications
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 09:31:17 AM by John A »
John
MGNOC L-471
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2022, 06:57:53 AM »
Appreciate all the replies!

I thought a propane torch was needed to soften the Locktite on some brake rotor bolts.  I think 450 degrees was the temperature that you aim for.  And it really doesn't seem to bother the paint if you aim for the bolt head.

I know red loctite is the type that requires heat, but the blue stuff usually pops off with a little extra twist. I'll have to check the service manual for what they recommend.

I'd caution you about using stainless for that purpose.  They are soft and not intended for high torque applications.

This is exactly why I asked the question, because I was thinking maybe softer bolts were better, otherwise why would so many factory manuals call for replacement if they could simply use harder, more brittle bolts with higher tensile strength.

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2022, 07:26:44 AM »
I'd stick with the original type. I thought stainless was the answer, then I reverted everything back after I had a few cases of galling using SS. Happens with SS, especially in high torque areas. Low torque, maybe it's ok to use.

Just wanted to mention.

https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/materials-and-grades/thread-galling.aspx

1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2022, 08:53:49 AM »
Not sure I understand the need for high strength bolts in this application.  These aren’t rod bolts, which are subject to tensile loads - they’re rotor bolts, which are only loaded in shear.  Maybe our engineers can weigh in on this.  Wouldn’t any bolt work in this application so long as it didn’t come loose?

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2022, 09:27:11 AM »
 To get past the galling issue,I use antisneeze on them with schnoor washers and use the correct torque. I check them at tire changes and never have found a loose one in hundreds of thousands of miles. If I was a manufacturer and had to ensure they would never come loose and never be checked during the life of the disc or risk a strong liability lawsuit by someone who has trouble operating a paper clip, I’d lock tite them. I’ve had loctited rotor bolts pull threads even heated for removal. If I’m doing the work for someone else I’ll locktite them as well but for myself I prefer to use the antisneeze method if I have the choice but I recommend anyone else to use new factory fasteners and their retention methods.
John
MGNOC L-471
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

jwinwi

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2022, 12:39:53 PM »
To get past the galling issue,I use antisneeze on them with schnoor washers and use the correct torque. I check them at tire changes and never have found a loose one in hundreds of thousands of miles. If I was a manufacturer and had to ensure they would never come loose and never be checked during the life of the disc or risk a strong liability lawsuit by someone who has trouble operating a paper clip, I’d lock tite them. I’ve had loctited rotor bolts pull threads even heated for removal. If I’m doing the work for someone else I’ll locktite them as well but for myself I prefer to use the antisneeze method if I have the choice but I recommend anyone else to use new factory fasteners and their retention methods.

John,
Isn't Loctite *supposed* to prevent galling since, in theory, it eliminates metal to metal contact? Not doubting your experience, just surprised it's never happened to me.  :laugh:

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2022, 07:00:00 PM »
John,
Isn't Loctite *supposed* to prevent galling since, in theory, it eliminates metal to metal contact? Not doubting your experience, just surprised it's never happened to me.  :laugh:

Add a little corrosion next time and maybe you too can enjoy installing a thread insert in your favorite wheel  :evil:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 09:59:20 PM by John A »
John
MGNOC L-471
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Redrider

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2022, 07:09:16 PM »
I remember reading how Russian Locktite was a saltwater dip before assembly. I am getting old.

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2022, 07:30:00 PM »
The reason many manufacturers use locktite on brake disc bolts is because they so often use weird button head screws (or low profile heads of some other sort) that can’t be torqued properly.  I use socket head cap screws and anti-seize, have never used locktite over 30+ years and many bikes/disc replacements and never will.

The stress applied to brake disc bolts isn’t that high, one of them would be plenty to carry the torque, stainless is fine but you may as well use good quality bolts so the heads don’t round out easily someday.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 07:33:52 PM by Tusayan »

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2022, 08:02:14 PM »
I think the property class 80 stainless Allen’s are about like 10.9 ferrous Allen’s . Or maybe that’s class 100. They don’t often round out but the 70’s don’t either. I dislike those low head ones and would only use them for clearance issues, I can’t think of a spot.
Edit :Maybe aerodynamic but I don’t have anything fast enough, I’m disappointed to say.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 11:04:21 PM by John A »
John
MGNOC L-471
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2022, 07:17:37 AM »
"I have never used locktite over 30+ years and many bikes/disc replacements and never will."
I haven't either. Fasteners should be designed to stay under stress and not back off. When I had my Harley I was constantly in fear of rounding out those stainless cap screws mainly due to that blue crap they put on everything. HD must buy it by 55 gal drums and fasteners by how they look and not by function.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline Mike Tashjian

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2022, 08:41:05 AM »
I use Lock tight whenever I need it.  Just another tool in the box.  It works well for it's intended purpose as does other methods of nut and bolt retention.  A well stocked work bench should be able to take care of most jobs you are comfortable tackling.

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2022, 09:11:42 AM »
I use Lock tight whenever I need it.  Just another tool in the box.  It works well for it's intended purpose as does other methods of nut and bolt retention.  A well stocked work bench should be able to take care of most jobs you are comfortable tackling.

Absolutely agree. Unfortunately, I’m a single dude living in a small apartment with no shed/garage to work on the bike during crummier weather. At least gifted enough to have off-street parking, so I have something to be thankful for :)

The materialist in me (MORE TOOLS!!) is constantly at struggle with the pragmatic (how often will you USE it?) and minimalist (any more tools, Dirk, and you’ll have to sleep out on the porch). Hence why I choose to not buy the bearing puller mentioned in my Replacing Bearings thread.

This thread doesn’t seem to have any unanimous consensus regarding bolt material ‘ strength. I think I’ll spend some more time searching around. My thinking based off everyone’s comments tells me that flexible is better than brittle, weather resistance wins out above all, and that bolt head type really only needs to satisfy clearance. And I ride in winter here in New Hampshire, so perhaps the brine on the roads is a good enough threadlocker :D

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2022, 03:43:18 PM »
Absolutely agree. Unfortunately, I’m a single dude living in a small apartment with no shed/garage to work on the bike during crummier weather. At least gifted enough to have off-street parking, so I have something to be thankful for :)

The materialist in me (MORE TOOLS!!) is constantly at struggle with the pragmatic (how often will you USE it?) and minimalist (any more tools, Dirk, and you’ll have to sleep out on the porch). Hence why I choose to not buy the bearing puller mentioned in my Replacing Bearings thread.

This thread doesn’t seem to have any unanimous consensus regarding bolt material ‘ strength. I think I’ll spend some more time searching around. My thinking based off everyone’s comments tells me that flexible is better than brittle, weather resistance wins out above all, and that bolt head type really only needs to satisfy clearance. And I ride in winter here in New Hampshire, so perhaps the brine on the roads is a good enough threadlocker :D

If it's of any use to you all my bikes both road and track use grade5 titanium rotor bolts with a copper based lube and no loctite. In all the bikes I've worked on in 50 years from WSB's, race bikes at the IOM and road bikes I've never used loctite on rotor bolts and never had one come loose or fail, steel or Titanium.

Ciao
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Online Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2022, 12:15:53 PM »
Speaking of thread lock, has anyone used a product called Vibra-Tite?      https://www.vibra-tite.com/
Since the product is non-hardening, it sounds to me like a more suitable product for many applications than traditional Locktight.

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2022, 08:03:25 PM »
Speaking of thread lock, has anyone used a product called Vibra-Tite?      https://www.vibra-tite.com/
Since the product is non-hardening, it sounds to me like a more suitable product for many applications than traditional Locktight.

+1 on the vibra tite. It’s specified in some Enstrom helicopters in the maintenance manual. Don’t recall on what but it is good stuff. Doesn’t hurt plastics, generally.
John
MGNOC L-471
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here