General Category > General Discussion

Powder coat safe for white metal badges?

(1/1)

Matt Story:
Does anyone have experience powder coating the pot metal badges that were used on early tonti models?  (as on 850-T) I'm cautious that they can take the cure temps without heat damage.  Also about gassing out during the heat cycle?

I'm going to see if I can find a crappy original to test.

I bought some aftermarket badges, but the casting quality on those isn't the greatest.  They look ok, but I'd prefer to rehab the old ones.  They casting quality on the originals is much nicer.

SIR REAL ED:
I would think they would be fine.  IIRC, the cure temp of powder coating is only around 400 degrees F.

Maybe that varies with the powder coating material.

2WheelsUp:
I bought a set of repro badges for my LM1 and they looked/worked fine. The pins were slightly off center so I clipped them and used 2 sided emblem tape instead. That said, I restored one of my original badges for a spare side cover using Testors model paint and it turned out as good as the new ones. There a number of YT videos with various techniques to do it.  Here's a pic of the restored original side cover badge compared to the new repro tank badge.

Matt Story:
My intention is to have badges powdercoated gold and to hand paint the highlights.

Groover:
If it helps, Duplicolor BCC0407 Perfect Match Stone White & BUN0100 Universal Black for the accents

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version