Author Topic: Tuning NTC Sensor AirBox  (Read 1084 times)

Offline guido1100

• New Egg
Tuning NTC Sensor AirBox
« on: May 01, 2021, 03:39:19 AM »
Hi, from Italy!!

I' have made a special elettronics pcb for tuning NTC Sensor in My Griso and My Stelvio... (ATS05). The idea is use a microcontroller for read orginal NTC air sensor and control a digital potentiometer to send the ecu a programmable offset . With bluethoot (HC05) module wil be possible change this offset with the smartphone. :evil:

Let me know what do you think..
https://arduntc.blogspot.com/2021/04/a.html

Offline John Warner

• Gosling
  • Growing old is mandatory, growing up is not . . .
    • Stelvio/V85 Owners Group FB
Tuning NTC Sensor AirBox
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 04:58:14 AM »
Is this to 'trick' the ECU into seeing a different Air Temp, so it richens the mixture?

If so, why?
We can remap our CARC Engines so easily and cheaply, why risk long-term Engine damage by making such crude mixture adjustments?

If not, what exactly will it do, that a remap can't?
Doc out . . .
Stelvio Owners Group on FB ~ https://www.facebook.com/groups/888995181188209/?fref=nf

Offline guido1100

• New Egg
Re: Tuning NTC Sensor AirBox
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2021, 06:42:19 AM »
This is a simple enrichment of the mixture (5-6%) without risk for the engine. Reamp is the best solution , but in Italy is not easy and economy.

For remap on dyno we cant spend 400-500 Euro --> 500-600$

This solution is an economic step , for who has  an sport air filter or exhaust whitout kat and/or dbkiller.

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2021, 07:43:55 AM »
This is a simple enrichment of the mixture (5-6%) without risk for the engine. Reamp is the best solution , but in Italy is not easy and economy.

For remap on dyno we cant spend 400-500 Euro --> 500-600$

This solution is an economic step , for who has  an sport air filter or exhaust whitout kat and/or dbkiller.

Remap with Guzzi Diag reader and writer is free.

Any time spent on the dyno, is money spend with a free remap, or money spent with your gadget.

Then in the end, you tweak the temp sensor, it tweaks the mixture, then the Lambda sensor corrects it and puts it right back where it should be. It is a waste isn't it? So you are just going to run rich for a few minutes at startup, then go back to normal once the lambda sensor is hot. And running rich during engine startup just destroys the motor.

What?

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2021, 07:43:55 AM »

Offline guido1100

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2021, 09:32:44 AM »
The Lambda signal is used by the ECU only in the so-called "closed loop" speeds, ie when the engine runs at a constant partialized speed, or at idle speed and surroundings. In the other driving conditions it is ignored to allow the enrichments necessary for the generation of torque and acceleration. This is the big limitation compared to what you get just with the modification of the IAT sensor, which is always active and effective even in transients (open loop), i.e. where you really need petrol when driving in the real world. The Lambda modification will give only an enrichment on the base injection and not on the others.

https://secure.lambdapower.co.uk/TechNotes/Tech-3.asp
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 09:34:23 AM by guido1100 »

oldbike54

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2021, 10:01:21 AM »
The Lambda signal is used by the ECU only in the so-called "closed loop" speeds, ie when the engine runs at a constant partialized speed, or at idle speed and surroundings. In the other driving conditions it is ignored to allow the enrichments necessary for the generation of torque and acceleration. This is the big limitation compared to what you get just with the modification of the IAT sensor, which is always active and effective even in transients (open loop), i.e. where you really need petrol when driving in the real world. The Lambda modification will give only an enrichment on the base injection and not on the others.

Guido , here is what you are up against here , a beetle map is $100.00 US , and corrects the fueling across the entire RPM range of the engine , and beetle works with his customers to perfect his maps . His maps are the same price in Italy as they would be in America , Australia , Italy , or anywhere else . You don't need a Dyno , all you need is Guzzidiag and the cables from Lonelec , Guzzidiag is still free , the cables are like $24.00 US .

See the problem , the fueling issue has already been solved , the beetlemap is proven , he has thousands of satisfied customers .

Dusty

Offline GuzziOrDeath

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2021, 07:19:33 PM »

That article is incorrect as far as how Marelli/Guzzi motorcycle closed/open loop modes operate. If you're going to invoke lambda theory, at least get it right.

Finebau, et al, have been making these gizmos for some time.

Offline guido1100

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2021, 11:41:29 AM »
Ok thanks all , i have made this only for hobby..

My Griso is fully remaped from Agostini in Mandello....

In different Forum in italy asked me to try this and i'have made. This is a "warkoround" for also no guzzi motorcycle .. my father have a Benelli Imperiale and for the moment there is not solution  alternative or similar GuzziDiag Software.

@GuzziOrDeath  ..I am sure speaking with technicians and mechanics, however that Magneti Marelli injection in the warm-up phase, in deceleration, in full acceleration, above a certain speed, works in open loop.

Offline GuzziOrDeath

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2021, 06:04:47 PM »
@GuzziOrDeath  ..I am sure speaking with technicians and mechanics, however that Magneti Marelli injection in the warm-up phase, in deceleration, in full acceleration, above a certain speed, works in open loop.

Closed loop only operates below ~5000 RPM, and above 55 degrees engine temperature and ~17 degrees intake temperature At all other times, it is open loop. Adding 6% more fuel in open loop? No thanks. What if you set the device so that closed loop never activated? It would over-fuel when the engine is hot and potentially damage the engine.

BTW, Warm Up phase only lasts for the initial 2000 RPM.

Alientech have a solution for the Delphi MT05 in the Benelli Imperiale.

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2021, 12:54:35 PM »
The Marelli learns from the past, it has a counter about how much is added or taken away from fuel. So when you add fuell, with making it to cold for the engine, the lambda will see that and note it. Next it starts taking fuel away because it knows it is to rich. A number of the carc stock maps are in open loop way to rich, I took away a lot of fuel in the higher revs, and only after doing wideband lambda testdrives.
 If you are sure to only want to add fuel, it's pretty easy, load the fuel map in Tunerpro, select it, and multiply with 1.06 for 6% extra fuel. Reading map, editing and writing back is done within half an hour. 0$

But I like that you put so much thought in it. Do you know the Periscope from Giulio Buccini? Another Arduino project.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 02:38:18 PM by pauldaytona »
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Offline John Warner

• Gosling
  • Growing old is mandatory, growing up is not . . .
    • Stelvio/V85 Owners Group FB
Tuning NTC Sensor AirBox
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2021, 01:38:24 PM »
Finebau, et al, have been making these gizmos for some time.
Maybe so, but we Fuel Injected Guzzi owners are lucky in that we don't need them.

I can see how owners of other makes might be tempted, when getting their Bikes remapped costs several hundred £££/$$$/€€€, every time they want it done.
We on the other hand, can do it for next to nothing, as often as we like.
Plus with GuzziDiag, we can do all the regular Servicing functions, fault code checks and clearances, etc, instead of throwing money at dealers all the time.

I guess until you've tried a Bike running a well-developed Map, you'll just never understand.
Those of us that have, will just keep on enjoying the improved performance and Fuel economy, with huge stupid grins on our faces . . .  :grin:

Doc out . . .
Stelvio Owners Group on FB ~ https://www.facebook.com/groups/888995181188209/?fref=nf

Offline guido1100

• New Egg
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2021, 09:57:37 AM »
The Marelli learns from the past, it has a counter about how much is added or taken away from fuel. So when you add fuell, with making it to cold for the engine, the lambda will see that and note it. Next it starts taking fuel away because it knows it is to rich. A number of the carc stock maps are in open loop way to rich, I took away a lot of fuel in the higher revs, and only after doing wideband lambda testdrives.
 If you are sure to only want to add fuel, it's pretty easy, load the fuel map in Tunerpro, select it, and multiply with 1.06 for 6% extra fuel. Reading map, editing and writing back is done within half an hour. 0$

But I like that you put so much thought in it. Do you know the Periscope from Giulio Buccini? Another Arduino project.

Thank you Paul for your answer... Yes i know Giulio he call me for this project because he was interested. I'm testing on my motorcycle with good results (not big improvment) but a best fruibility. From Tuner pro whithout modify the fuel table i can disable the lambda. In this mode ecu don't taking away fuel...Correct?

p.s Thank you for the big support and work with GuzziDiag and tools  :thumb:

In several WebSite sell similar product but with less function:
https://jetprimeshop.it/it/memjet/316-centralina-aggiuntiva-memjet-evo-per-moto-guzzi-griso-8v-mj-001.html
https://www.dimsport.it/it/lista-applicazioni/rapidbike/bike/moto-guzzi/breva-1100/05-08/details/
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 09:59:31 AM by guido1100 »

Offline guido1100

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2021, 10:12:38 AM »
Maybe so, but we Fuel Injected Guzzi owners are lucky in that we don't need them.

I can see how owners of other makes might be tempted, when getting their Bikes remapped costs several hundred £££/$$$/€€€, every time they want it done.
We on the other hand, can do it for next to nothing, as often as we like.
Plus with GuzziDiag, we can do all the regular Servicing functions, fault code checks and clearances, etc, instead of throwing money at dealers all the time.

I guess until you've tried a Bike running a well-developed Map, you'll just never understand.
Those of us that have, will just keep on enjoying the improved performance and Fuel economy, with huge stupid grins on our faces . . .  :grin:

Exactly we are lucky , but for the other brand is not easy. This type of eletronics is completly open to other end not only Guzzi. This is sure not the best solution but an improvment for who can't/ won't remap..

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here