Author Topic: Cafe a Cal Vin?  (Read 3651 times)

Offline dgurovich

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Right Foot Shift is best.
    • As the Dude Abides
Cafe a Cal Vin?
« on: August 21, 2015, 07:20:15 PM »
Well it's been a long time since I posted, just been busy, I guess. 

I've been riding my Cal Vin through it's second season, and I'm getting a little Cafe-restless, The engine, wheels, etc. are just such and excellent platform; I'm thinking I might just strip it down and give it a 1000s-ish look.

Main thing I guess is bars, tank seats rearsets.  Then I can sell off all my cal vin stuff.  Probably a few smaller things...

I think the big thing here is the tank.  Is there a LeMans-of-V7-style tank that will fit the 1100 fuel injection's needs and size?  I figure that is problem number one.  number two would be the seat, then the rearsets...

Thoughts?
Danilo Gurovich
Marine City, MI
  • 1961 Matchless G12 CSR
  • 1966 Matchless G80s
  • 2019 Royal Enfield Interceptor
  • 2006 Vespa 200L
  • 2014 Vespa 300GTV
  • 1968 Moto Guzzi V700
  • 1964 Citroen ID19F Safari (yes, it's a car)

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Cafe a Cal Vin?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 08:40:29 PM »
Agostini sells rear sets for a LM III which can be mounted on a modern Tonti frame. You may have to adapt the muffler mounts. I have a set ready to mount on my Cal Special when I bob the heck out of it.
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

Offline cwiseman

• Gaggle Mentor
    • C&D Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 08:48:39 PM »
The CalVin is such a great bike, perfect size, nice bags, windshield, footboards, the crash bars and the leg shields on the front bars, the seat can be transformed by Ned's into a very acceptable long distance seat. A great touring machine!

So that brings me to the idea, snatch a older cal cheap and have fun on a budget that allows you to have both a touring and a cafe. A good starter bike could be had for around 2-3,000 range maybe less.

Contact Offcamber here and grab his lovely V65 and ride as is?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 08:49:56 PM by cwiseman »
Moto Guzzi Robinson/C & D Motorsports
618-544-RIDE
Moto Guzzi dealer in South Eastern Illinois
Personal rides 2007 Calvin, 72 Eldo, V7 Classic, 75 RD350, GasGas Pampera 250 + a few others
2-stroke street bike enthusiast

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 09:07:55 PM »
Good point. Tons of older Calis out there.
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 09:07:55 PM »

Offline dgurovich

• Gaggle Mentor
    • As the Dude Abides
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 09:32:22 PM »
so what about the tank?
Danilo Gurovich
Marine City, MI
  • 1961 Matchless G12 CSR
  • 1966 Matchless G80s
  • 2006 Vespa 200L
  • 2014 Vespa 300GTV
  • 1968 Moto Guzzi V700

• Gaggle Hero

Offline dgurovich

• Gaggle Mentor
    • As the Dude Abides
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 08:20:33 AM »
Does the Cal Vin tank have a fuel pump built into it? I'm wondering about this.  I would believe that there is a modification or two that must be made to adapt a LeMans/V7 tank to a late model platform. 

As far as whether or not to adapt it to a Cal Vin or a donor bike, that's fine, I'm in the investigation stages -  so let's just say Cafe a fuel-injected California and see what needs to be done with that?

Thanks for all the answers so far.  This is one of the exciting things about the Tonti Frames.
Danilo Gurovich
Marine City, MI
  • 1961 Matchless G12 CSR
  • 1966 Matchless G80s
  • 2006 Vespa 200L
  • 2014 Vespa 300GTV
  • 1968 Moto Guzzi V700

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 08:45:48 AM »
Well, honestly, I could think of better Tontis to cafe.. naturally, my opinion doesn't count.  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 09:45:46 AM »
The Vintage does have an internal fuel pump. It's not insurmountable...an external pump can easily be substituted. However, an external pump is tough to hide on a Cafe bike. The frame should allow lots of older pieces to be added. The wheels will be an expensive undertaking if you wish to lighten them commensurately with the rest of the package. The tank also, unless you choose something used. The seat should be easy, rear sets and clip-ons, too. It's all possible...but you'll end up with a bike that is low on utility and it's status as a new classic will be gone. I can't help recalling how I feel when I see a chopped Commando...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2015, 09:50:51 AM »
Man it kills me when I see a beautiful Calvin molested.  This wouldn't be the first time that happened here.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2015, 10:07:26 AM »
My bike is not the vintage, but a 03 Tonti frame.  When I started on my bike, it was done intentionally and with know plans for me or anyone else to take it back to the original style.  Off came tabs, on went parts I wanted to use. 

The Tonti frame remainded nearly the same from the first one thru the last one.  Parts from one mode year will fit (sometimes with a slight mod) various models.  I re purpose some pieces.

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2015, 11:20:33 AM »
With as many cheap '98 to '01 Californias as are out there, I'd be reluctant to chop and caff a nice Cal Vintage.

'98 to '01 bikes have external fuel pumps, so one less complication to worry about when ordering your aluminum RR fuel tank.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2015, 01:06:08 PM »
If you can find an experienced tank builder, you could give him your existing tank, he could pull out the fuel pumps, build you whatever style of tank you like with the original fuel pumps in tank.   From my experience, I've had bad luck with the 'tank shop', but had amazing work done and for cheaper by TABII Classics.  They are both in the UK.  Evan Wilcox is pretty famous craftsman and he is in the U.S.  There are probably a 1,000 tank builders in just the US alone, but I couldn't recommend anyone unless I've had personal experience with them. 

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2015, 04:16:20 PM »
I can't help recalling how I feel when I see a chopped Commando

That's my point, but I'm an antiquer.  :smiley:

I might just strip it down and give it a 1000s-ish look.

In that case, why not use a T3? Admittedly, they are getting a little more scarce, but you could make one that looks a *lot* like a 1000S, if that is what you are looking for.  :cool: :boozing:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline dgurovich

• Gaggle Mentor
    • As the Dude Abides
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2015, 04:49:12 PM »
well, it's just a mental exercise.  Let's not get caught up in the Cal Vin part, more in the part about an FI bike as a cafe project.  That way we can talk about what it would take rather than "should you do it or not." -- I'm inclined to leave it alone, just going through the paces...
Danilo Gurovich
Marine City, MI
  • 1961 Matchless G12 CSR
  • 1966 Matchless G80s
  • 2006 Vespa 200L
  • 2014 Vespa 300GTV
  • 1968 Moto Guzzi V700

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here