Author Topic: 2015 Eldorado 1400 merged threadfest  (Read 25573 times)

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: 2015 Eldorado 1400 merged threadfest
« Reply #90 on: June 11, 2015, 10:12:47 AM »
You'd think a "premium cruiser" would have metal fenders from the factory.  I know it's much cheaper to have Acerbis crank out plastic ones, but the market niche where this bike will live won't really accept the plastic.  It's a major sticking point with typical cruiser buyers, and one I'm surprised Galluzzi and his design team missed...

YUP YUP YUP - I can overlook it on the V7 for size/weight/cost.

But even so I've wondered if I could make one of the accessory/aftermarket Aluminum rear fenders work for mine - unfortunately they're usually more of a fender eliminator and probably wouldn't work with HB racks...no cleanly at least.

Still $8k - ok

$18k - NO WAY

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline segesta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #91 on: June 11, 2015, 10:15:03 AM »
On the other hand, when I'm wrestling my big mofo California Custom around the garage, I appreciate that they saved a few pounds using the plastic.
--
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2013 Ducati Monster 796
2010 BMW K1300GT

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #92 on: June 11, 2015, 10:16:48 AM »
On the other hand, when I'm wrestling my big mofo California Custom around the garage, I appreciate that they saved a few pounds using the plastic.

Personally I could probably forgive it, if it at least was stout enough that the fender and tail-light didn't blur at idle (like it does on the V7).

And heck, after experiencing some rust problems on my Jackal I put a fiberglass front fender on and a new rear fender from a Sportster, but I seriously treated that thing to LAYERS of rubber undercoat. So I get using alternate materials.

In the cruiser market they'll be hard pressed to get people to overlook that detail. Probably will hurt sales some.

But it all comes down to perceptions of quality, durability, structure.

Harleys FEEL heavy, the grips, the bars, the clutch etc. and that's ON PURPOSE.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 10:18:33 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #93 on: June 11, 2015, 10:20:29 AM »

I'm kind of Olde Skool and would prefer my fuel tanks and fenders be metal.

The savings of a couple pounds would not be noticeable to the rider.  The only reasons plastic is used are cheaper price and easier to accommodate low volume production.

But, if you're charging $16,000 for a motorcycle whose direct competitors are all steel, you're going to be at a serious disadvantage when the prospective buyers instinctively lean forward and tap the fender with their finger nail to listen for the familiar and satisfying metallic clinking.

Guzzi had it right with the Tonti California fenders.  They were nice pieces, with nice shapes that recalled earlier machines.  The Eldo 14 fenders don't have historic Guzzi lines, and the plastic construction is a huge mis-step by Galluzzi, showing that he doesn't really understand the market segment.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 10:28:46 AM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #93 on: June 11, 2015, 10:20:29 AM »

Gary

« Reply #94 on: June 11, 2015, 11:59:11 AM »
The new Eldo is a nice looking bike and I wouldn't mind having one. And maybe I will someday. I could care less about the plastic fenders. The plastic fenders may not woo the HD guys from their "heavy" mounts, but I doubt if it would even if they were metal. I am sure there are a lot of prospective buyers out there, either from metric cruisers or new to cruisers that don't care about metal fenders.

And by the way, for a group of guys, many which tend to change details (seats, bags, windscreens, risers, handlebars, lights, etc ad nauseum) of the stock bike anyway...

Offline MariusD

• New Egg
« Reply #95 on: June 11, 2015, 12:32:13 PM »
This Eldo is starting to look more and more interesting to me. At first I was turned off by the spokes, but the whole package actually looks to be superior to the other models. You get 10mm more rear suspension travel, looks like the seat might be a little comfier than the custom at least, has a slightly narrower and taller rear tire, and a taller front, which leads me to believe this model will deliver a smootheer/plushier ride than the other Cali14s, and should still remain nimble.

Anyone rode one yet?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 12:33:13 PM by MariusD »

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
« Reply #96 on: June 11, 2015, 01:05:53 PM »
I'm curious, how does one see his rear fender flex when riding over bumpy roads?

Do you have to turn your head around has your passing over road irregularities and look backwards at the fender, or do you have a friend ride along with you?

I was quoting the tester, he was in a group with the new MGs for release, he was watching the Eldorado ahead of him while he was riding the Audace.
14 KTM 1190 Adv

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
« Reply #97 on: June 11, 2015, 01:11:25 PM »
That was quick:

http://www.ridermagazine.com/road-tests/2014-ktm-1190-adventure-road-test.htm/

131 hp

552 wet

4.2 #/hp  - still pretty impressive.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/01/15/ktm-1190-adventure-road-test-review-photos-specifications/

10.68 1/4 mile .... phew... too fast for me.  :boozing:

They ONLY  :laugh: got 129 hp.

I think the weight savings is mostly from using Chromoly tubing instead of steel.  It is stiffer and you can use thinner tubing to get the same strength as mild steel.  Wish more bikes would use chromoly.  I love welding it with tig, but I have special rods (and they are not chromoly like most people would think you need). 

The bike wet is much lighter than their quote, they weighed as tested which included panniers.  My Gobis off, but with Hepco and Becker racks, I'm still less than 515lbs and I have a OEM bashplate.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 01:18:40 PM by tiger_one »
14 KTM 1190 Adv

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
« Reply #98 on: June 11, 2015, 01:13:22 PM »
On the plastic fenders, if the flex is really bad, one could lay in some plastic (abs) rods or tubing on the inside with epoxy to stiffen.

Or, remove the taillight and replace with a custom LED behind the seat.  But then you would need to cover the holes in the fender or cut at that point.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 01:15:08 PM by tiger_one »
14 KTM 1190 Adv

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #99 on: June 11, 2015, 01:57:33 PM »
Personally I could probably forgive it, if it at least was stout enough that the fender and tail-light didn't blur at idle (like it does on the V7).

And heck, after experiencing some rust problems on my Jackal I put a fiberglass front fender on and a new rear fender from a Sportster, but I seriously treated that thing to LAYERS of rubber undercoat. So I get using alternate materials.

In the cruiser market they'll be hard pressed to get people to overlook that detail. Probably will hurt sales some.

But it all comes down to perceptions of quality, durability, structure.

Harleys FEEL heavy, the grips, the bars, the clutch etc. and that's ON PURPOSE.

Kev, your old rusty fender is still hanging in there on my bike.  A good stripping, primer and paint job gave it a new life. 

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
« Reply #100 on: June 11, 2015, 02:49:57 PM »
I'm starting to feel better about the 200mm tire on the rear of the Audace.  I checked the tables and they show that a 180/70/16 will fit a 6" wide 16" wheel.  Comparing the two tires as to diameter per the Dunlop D251F that comes on the Audace.  It would be better if they had put a 5.5" wide wheel like the Eldorado has.

200/60/16 Dunlop D251F = 25.4"
180/70/16 Dunlop D251F = 25.9"   So, 1/2" bigger diameter, and 1/4" taller (better for cornering taller and rounder profile)
14 KTM 1190 Adv

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #101 on: June 11, 2015, 03:20:05 PM »
On the plastic fenders, if the flex is really bad, one could lay in some plastic (abs) rods or tubing on the inside with epoxy to stiffen.

Good suggestion and if my V7 fender ever bugs me enough maybe I'll try it. But I just couldn't see buying a new $16k bike and having to do that... it would piss me off.

Kev, your old rusty fender is still hanging in there on my bike.  A good stripping, primer and paint job gave it a new life.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: Glad to hear it's hanging in there so to speak. That bike lives on in multiple other bikes even though it was wrecked.

I'm starting to feel better about the 200mm tire on the rear of the Audace.  I checked the tables and they show that a 180/70/16 will fit a 6" wide 16" wheel.  Comparing the two tires as to diameter per the Dunlop D251F that comes on the Audace.  It would be better if they had put a 5.5" wide wheel like the Eldorado has.

200/60/16 Dunlop D251F = 25.4"
180/70/16 Dunlop D251F = 25.9"   So, 1/2" bigger diameter, and 1/4" taller (better for cornering taller and rounder profile)

Well, I still think a 180 is rather wide too...but that is making me feel better about it. Hmmm damnit, I want the Audace, with a METAL rear fender and tail-light set-up like the Eldo!
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #102 on: June 11, 2015, 03:32:06 PM »

Or, remove the taillight and replace with a custom LED behind the seat.  But then you would need to cover the holes in the fender or cut at that point.

Or perhaps this will turn out to be much ado about nothing.    We have just expended considerable time bantering back and fro over the claimed flex in the rear fender, of a bike none of us has yet experienced, yet alone turned around backwards to observe the fender in flight, (that one is just for Kev :wink:).   Or maybe it will turn out to be a real "shaker" fender, and in need of help, hope we soon find out.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
« Reply #103 on: June 11, 2015, 03:32:51 PM »
I understand on the having to mod a new bike, but I usually end up modding something on all of them, less the older I get seems.

I want the Eldorado's headlight but I'm starting to like the Audace, wish we would get the red tho.  Dang, there is always something.  When I bought the KTM, only 2 colors, I wanted the orange, but SO said NO, so we have gray!  No on color is much better than no on bike.
14 KTM 1190 Adv

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
« Reply #104 on: June 11, 2015, 03:37:02 PM »
Or perhaps this will turn out to be much ado about nothing.    We have just expended considerable time bantering back and fro over the claimed flex in the rear fender, of a bike none of us has yet experienced, yet alone turned around backwards to observe the fender in flight, (that one is just for Kev :wink:).   Or maybe it will turn out to be a real "shaker" fender, and in need of help, hope we soon find out.

The rider never sees it, but when you stop, the guys always like to point out, hey, did you know your panniers are flying up and out every bump?  This was on my Tiger 1050, the panniers would float out and up.

The dirt bikes are usually the ones with floppy fenders.  I followed a California 1400 touring at swampscooters 2 years ago on a bumpy 2 lane, don't remember his fenders flexing.  But, the Eldorado has a big traditional taillight not LEDs embedded in the fender.  Like you say probably much ado about nothing in the end.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 03:37:53 PM by tiger_one »
14 KTM 1190 Adv

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
« Reply #105 on: June 11, 2015, 03:40:06 PM »
Kev, where did you find the weights on the two, I can't find a spec on weight anywhere.
14 KTM 1190 Adv

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #106 on: June 11, 2015, 04:29:30 PM »
Kev, where did you find the weights on the two, I can't find a spec on weight anywhere.

Full line brochure PDF link earlier in this thread.
Most of you have probably seen this, but if not, MG sent this out yesterday on the Eldorado and the catalog

http://www.motoguzzi-us.com/motorcycles/eldorado.html

http://www.motoguzzi-us.com/public/upload/brochure/mg_range_my15.pdf

Chad, yes, no one here knows for certain how bad it will flex, but I know how the V7 does and a reviewer just commented on it, so it certainly seems like a fair topic of speculation and conversation. No big deal really.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
« Reply #107 on: June 11, 2015, 05:05:47 PM »
^^^^  I have searched those two links.  Will look again.
Found it, second link down at bottom, thanks.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 05:13:46 PM by tiger_one »
14 KTM 1190 Adv

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here