Author Topic: Brakes: sintered vs. kevlar vs. organic??  (Read 14477 times)

Offline Tony/CT

• Gaggle Mentor
Brakes: sintered vs. kevlar vs. organic??
« on: April 05, 2015, 06:45:22 PM »
Can someone tell me what the difference is between these three types of brake materials? I'm riding an 02 EV and 09 Vintage. No race machines here. Which type of brake will last the longest and be kindest on the rotors? Which came as original equipment on the California bikes?

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
Re: Brakes: sintered vs. kevlar vs. organic??
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 06:49:32 PM »
Both of those bikes have stainless steel rotors. I recommend EBC HH sintered metallic.
Kevlar pads won't last long, and won't work well.
I doubt any organic pads would work well on those hard rotors.
Ceramic pads may work OK. Not sure where you would find them.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 06:50:47 PM by Wayne Orwig »
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 07:51:11 PM »
I don't like pads that will cause the rotors to wear out when the pads do. That is the sintered pads. Too rough on rotors. I like nice soft organics. Bed in quick, cover your bike in pad dust, and leave the rotors nearly unworn.

thats my $0.02 FWIW...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 08:01:07 PM by mtiberio »
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 07:56:08 PM »
Dang! Two guys that know their stuff telling you different things..  ;D  :BEER: I was hoping they'd tell me what pads to put on the back of the Commie Thumper. I'll probably go with HH.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 07:56:08 PM »

oldbike54

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 07:58:48 PM »
Dang! Two guys that know their stuff telling you different things..  ;D  :BEER: I was hoping they'd tell me what pads to put on the back of the Commie Thumper. I'll probably go with HH.
[/quote

Who are you and what have you done with OUR Chuckie  ???

Dusty

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 08:04:40 PM »
I've seen a lot of sintered (HH) pads on stainless disks, and the disk wear is not excessive.  These were old stock disks that came on Kawasaki triples, so nothing exotic.  I've read on this site that using them on iron disks is a problem.  EBC's web site shows all the different types they make, and describes the properties of each.  I just went though deciding what type to buy for a project bike recently, and that EBC information was helpful.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 08:05:30 PM by Triple Jim »
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 08:11:59 PM »
I've read on this site that using them on iron disks is a problem.
Yeah, me, too.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 11:18:23 PM »
2004 EV SS rotors
Always used EBC HH sintered pads.
114,000 miles.
No real wear that I know of.
I did try a set of kevlar, and as I suspected, they only lasted half as long.

On the other hand I tried sintered pads on my 1994 with soft iron rotors. It cut the rotors pretty fast.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 11:23:44 PM by Wayne Orwig »
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Moto

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 11:51:56 PM »
I put nice, gentle organics on my Griso (with stainless disks) last year and have been very happy. I believe the originals were also organic.

If I can lock my brakes under all street/highway conditions, I'm happy. Conceivably I could still experience fading in racing conditions, but I don't do that. I'd feel foolish if I thought I was running unnecessarily abrasive pads, so I avoid the sintered ones.

The ones I got are good old Ferodos, Platinum Series. These are hard to find in the U.S., but AF1 Racing had them in stock, for about $30 a set (you'd need two sets for dual front disks, of course). You might email them to inquire -- they have been extremely helpful in my experience.

I expect your bike had genuine, organic, Brembo pads. (That's what I concluded about my Griso, though I have now forgotten the evidence I used.)

According to the http://ecat.ferodoracing.com/motorcycle/brake-pads-and-shoes/FDB2042 page, your 2009 Vintage and my 2007 Griso seem to share the same pads (FDB2042 front, FDB2018 rear):

MOTO GUZZI   CALIFORNIA Classic / Vintage   1000   2007   >      2   FDB2042      FDB2018
MOTO GUZZI   GRISO 1100                           1100   2005   >   2008   2   FDB2042      FDB2018

The Platinum (organic) versions take a "P" suffix, like FDB2042P.

Page III (i.e., the third page) of the Ferodo motorcycle catalog has a nice chart comparing the properties of its several disk compounds. It indicates both organic and sintered are suitable for road use, with the former easier on the disks and the latter giving longer life for the pads. You'll find a pdf copy here: http://www.ferodoracing.com/pdf/catalogues/Ferodo_motorcycle_catalogue.pdf.

Moto

« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 11:53:47 PM by Moto »

Offline Tony/CT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 06:28:19 AM »
The rotors on the 09 Vintage had warped so I replaced them with a set of Snowflake Brembo rotors from Guzzitech. I couldn't determine from Todd's site if they were stainless steel but on the Brembo site it looks as if their rotors are stainless steel.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 06:31:37 AM by Tony/CT »

redrider

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 07:34:39 AM »
I installed EBC FA244HH pads on the V11 and like them. Bedding in took about 15 miles of neighborhood riding-one stop was mediocre and the next was WOW! The feel is amazing and a characteristic I like a lot is when applying them at speed-the pads grip now and the rate of decell is quick. At lower speeds, say <50mph, the initial bite is softer with the same finger pressure. I would not recommend them for ductile iron rotors.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 07:51:31 AM »
The rotors on the 09 Vintage had warped so I replaced them with a set of Snowflake Brembo rotors from Guzzitech. I couldn't determine from Todd's site if they were stainless steel but on the Brembo site it looks as if their rotors are stainless steel.

Yes.  The Snowflake rotors are stainless.  And, the blades are nice and thick!  Aluminum carriers make them relatively light.  Really good rotors!
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2015, 08:01:50 AM »
   I've read on this site that using them on iron disks is a problem.   

Yeah, me, too.

I'm going to be the odd man out on this one, but I use EBC HH pads on my Sport 1100.  About a dozen years ago I picked up a set of used full-floating  Ducati Brembo rotors with aluminum carriers and cast iron rotors.  These were fitted to the 900SS/SP and maybe some of the S-model superbikes in the 1990s.  At the same time I fitted a Brembo GP front master cylinder.

They've been great.  No fade.  Good performance in all weather.  Great performance when warm to hot, like at a track day or riding hard in the mountains.  No complaints, and they haven't worn the rotors out yet.

I do ride "the pace" and don't use a lot of brake in normal riding...

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

redrider

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2015, 08:18:03 AM »
Rocker, good point on the pace. I also use engine braking for most minor speed adjustments with the heavy braking coming off the slab or late braking/trail braking into some corners. Mixed bag, some heavy, some not. Tire compound also may limit the choices. Sport bikes respond well to being ridden like sport bikes, eh?

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2015, 08:26:09 AM »
Sport bikes respond well to being ridden like sport bikes, eh?

Yes.  "the pace" is bike-dependent, and the Sport 1100's pace is a lot higher than other Guzzis I have ridden.   :bike
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Tony/CT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2015, 10:57:35 AM »
1. So the rear pads on the 09 Vintage need replacement. I can't tell from the pads if they are sintered or not. On the pad reads FeritI/D450FF with the accompanying number 07.5270. The Brembo site does not tell me what these are. Does anyone know?

2. I removed the caliper and removed the pin holding the rod that passes through the holes in the pads. Put brake cleaner on it. The pin spins freely in the caliper with the pin out but will not slide out of the caliper. It looks as if it should drop right out of the caliper but does not. Anyone know what I am doing wrong? I've changed the pads out on my EV and never had this issue.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2015, 11:04:14 AM »
1. So the rear pads on the 09 Vintage need replacement. I can't tell from the pads if they are sintered or not. On the pad reads FeritI/D450FF with the accompanying number 07.5270. The Brembo site does not tell me what these are. Does anyone know?

2. I removed the caliper and removed the pin holding the rod that passes through the holes in the pads. Put brake cleaner on it. The pin spins freely in the caliper with the pin out but will not slide out of the caliper. It looks as if it should drop right out of the caliper but does not. Anyone know what I am doing wrong? I've changed the pads out on my EV and never had this issue.

1.  FF pads are going to be organic.

2.  There is a detent keeping the pin in the caliper.  You will need to lightly tap it out with a hammer and punch.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2015, 11:05:30 AM »
The pin has a spring loaded clip also. It will take a punch/screwdriver and a hammer.

Offline Tony/CT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2015, 11:42:25 AM »
I put an allen key in it and hit it with a rubber mallet but it would not come out. So...hit it harder and the pin and spring loaded clip should come out? And once it comes out is it relatively easy to put the spring loaded clip back in?  ???

oldbike54

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2015, 11:56:56 AM »
I put an allen key in it and hit it with a rubber mallet but it would not come out. So...hit it harder and the pin and spring loaded clip should come out? And once it comes out is it relatively easy to put the spring loaded clip back in?  ???

Right direction ? The pin should not be all that stubborn . The clip isn't hard to replace .

Dusty

Offline Noguzznoglory

• Gosling
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2015, 12:45:50 PM »
you could always go with the OE brakes (provided you can get 'em). that way you know they're compatible with the other parts on your bike.
93 750 Nighthawk
73 Honda CB350
73 Honda CL450
04 Breva 750
15 Norge
16 VERSYS 650

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2015, 01:03:18 PM »

It takes a pretty good tap, but shouldn't be that hard.  If you're using a 90-degree allen key as your punch, trade it for something straight.

Rear pad change should be a 5- or 10-minute job.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Stevex

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2015, 01:04:41 PM »
When I had a GSXR750 I fitted EBC HH pads. They were very good with the standard SS discs.
I've just replaced my LM2 original discs with SS discs from HMB-Guzzi; they recommend original Brembo Carbon Ceramic pads with the discs, which I bought. Looking at the friction surface, they are sintered.

http://www.hmb-guzzi.de/shop/Bremse/Bremsbelaege/Bremsbelag-Satz--Bremszange-P-08--gr--Mod-.html

redrider

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2015, 01:17:59 PM »
Ferodo was/is the OE supplier to Brembo. Difficult to source in my experience unless buying OE Brembo parts from the dealer. Hammers and Punches?? Oh my! These things are not Knuckleheads.

Moto

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2015, 01:29:00 PM »
Ferodo was/is the OE supplier to Brembo. Difficult to source in my experience unless buying OE Brembo parts from the dealer.

See my post above. af1racing.com has the Ferodo organic pads he needs. I think Brembo-branded OEM pads are about double the price.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 01:30:03 PM by Moto »

Offline Guzzidad

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2015, 08:26:14 PM »

I don't  much like EBC HH pads. Had them once and took them off in the first hundred miles. Too grabby and they actually loosened the bolts holding my rotors on. Much prefer SBS pads

Offline jetmechmarty

• Gosling
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2015, 08:38:24 PM »

I don't  much like EBC HH pads. Had them once and took them off in the first hundred miles. Too grabby and they actually loosened the bolts holding my rotors on. Much prefer SBS pads

I run with SBS ceramic pads on my old Japanese bike.  I love them!  I think sintered pads have to get hot before they start working as they're supposed to.  I'll be looking for SBS ceramic for the Guzzi, too!
Marty (in Mississippi)
No Guzzi right now

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2015, 09:41:14 PM »
Brake pad dust make the brakes work better. 

Offline Rainman

• Gosling
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2015, 12:11:22 AM »

:+1

SBS (Scandinavian Brake systems) Ceramics are all I buy now. They're  Just right, not to touchy like EBC HH's and they last way longer than organics. If they aren’t available in the states Ebay Uk has them reasonably. 

They work great on my '96 Cali with cast iron rotors and the newer bikes with SS rotors.
'12 Stelvio NTX,  '96 1100i+15M
'06 Breva 1100, '00 Quota
'75 Norton Interstate - WIP
'03 Titanium - WIP
'00 Jackal ...

Offline guzzibob

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2015, 01:23:42 AM »
Strongly advise against using sintered HH pads on cast iron rotors. Used them on my T3 with stock one piece cast iron rotors (albeit only on the hand brake only side, pretty weak as it comes). Worked great for a while, then warped the rotor-twice. Never warped a disc previously using the Ferodo Platinum GG organic pads, in many many miles. Then switched that hand brake rotor to the stainless steel full floating rotor made by EBC and available from MG Cycle, back to EBC HH sintered pads, for sure better braking than GG on cast iron, and no warping. This is not remotely a high horsepower bike, & I don't ride that hard. Tried the same thing on the hand brake on my 1000S, this time stock full floating cast iron rotors.  EBC HH sintered pads this time did not permanently warp the rotors, but did overheat them enough to lock up the front wheel-twice. Never ever happened before or since using Ferodo Platinum GG organic. Happy enough to then leave this bike that way, as this bike's hand brake in stock trim is a lot better then the same on T3. You might be lucky like Rocker 59, or you might not. I know EBC specifically says their HH pads are not suitable for use on cast iron rotors, and my experience has very much reflected that.
Bob Dickman
Burbank CA
91 1000S
78 850T3FB
07 Norge
Lifetime MGNOC/AMA

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here