Author Topic: Brakes: sintered vs. kevlar vs. organic??  (Read 14474 times)

Offline Steve Cas

• Gosling
Re: Brakes: sintered vs. kevlar vs. organic??
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2015, 08:49:25 AM »
I put an allen key in it and hit it with a rubber mallet but it would not come out. So...hit it harder and the pin and spring loaded clip should come out? And once it comes out is it relatively easy to put the spring loaded clip back in?  ???

If you still can't get it out let me know and I will stop by and give you a hand.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2015, 09:19:18 AM »
Strongly advise against using sintered HH pads on cast iron rotors. Used them on my T3 with stock one piece cast iron rotors (albeit only on the hand brake only side, pretty weak as it comes). Worked great for a while, then warped the rotor-twice. 

You might be lucky like Rocker 59, or you might not. I know EBC specifically says their HH pads are not suitable for use on cast iron rotors, and my experience has very much reflected that.

There is a huge difference in the 1-piece 1970s vintage cast iron rotors and in the 1990s vintage full-floating iron superbike rotors.  Apples and oranges.

I wouldn't use EBC HH on the old bikes, but I have had no issues with EBC HH on my rotors over years of use.

But, as always, YMMV...

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2015, 10:06:31 AM »
I'm going to be the odd man out on this one, but I use EBC HH pads on my Sport 1100.  About a dozen years ago I picked up a set of used full-floating  Ducati Brembo rotors with aluminum carriers and cast iron rotors.  These were fitted to the 900SS/SP and maybe some of the S-model superbikes in the 1990s.  At the same time I fitted a Brembo GP front master cylinder.

They've been great.  No fade.  Good performance in all weather.  Great performance when warm to hot, like at a track day or riding hard in the mountains.  No complaints, and they haven't worn the rotors out yet.

I do ride "the pace" and don't use a lot of brake in normal riding...

My '03 EV has the same rotors courtesy of the original owner and I run the EBC organics with them.  I imagine they would be pretty aggressive with the HH pads instead.

Even though I do have the iron rotors, I like the organics up front and the HH in the rear. 

Lots of different opinions!

George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline Gootsz

• Gosling
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2015, 12:35:38 PM »
For you middle of road guys they now make a EBC SEMI SINTERED pad set. best or worst of both worlds. i put them on my Jackal and like them very much.

micky
Gootsz
Satellite Beach, FL
2009 GRISO
2014 CUSTOM
1975 BMW R90/6
THERE ARE NO WINNERS IN ROOM FULL OF LOSERS

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2015, 12:35:38 PM »

190 Octane

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2015, 01:05:01 PM »
For you middle of road guys they now make a EBC SEMI SINTERED pad set. best or worst of both worlds. i put them on my Jackal and like them very much.

micky

I ran across the semi sintered when looking for pads, I was wondering how well they worked.  On my Titanium I put Kevlar organics up front and HH pads on the rear, in order to gain a little more rear bias out of the foot brake.  I may go the to the semi sintered up front, the Kevlar organics really make a mess of the front wheel.

Offline Dimples

• Gosling
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2015, 05:26:14 PM »

Okay, I'll chime-in with my own experience for what it's worth. I had posted the "sintered + iron" question previously after rebuilding the brakes on the LM 3.

Greg Field responded that rotor wear would be increased, but the additional braking was worth it in his opinion. So, the EBC HH pads have been on that bike now for 1,500 miles. The difference is remarkable. Especially when grabbing only the right lever which activates just one dinky caliper. I'm not a fan of the old linked system, but retained it for originality. The rotor(s) has not warped and that the braking is very much improved. Eventual wear is not important to me in this case. I didn't see any notice on the EBC site recommending against the use of HH pads with cast iron motorcycle rotors.

Regarding the original poster's question-- I primarily ride the Sport 1100 and Nero, both with EBC organic pads and Brembo stainless rotors and don't feel the HH sintered pads are necessary.
'96 Sport 1100 - carb
'71 Ambassador - Venolia

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here