Author Topic: Greasing replacement disks before installation?  (Read 2589 times)

Offline Tony/CT

• Gaggle Mentor
Greasing replacement disks before installation?
« on: April 08, 2015, 02:37:56 PM »
I watched a video of a guy replacing disk brakes and he greased the back of the pads before putting them into the caliper. I've never seen this before. Should this be done before installation?

oldbike54

Re: Greasing replacement disks before installation?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 02:43:10 PM »
 Probably just a bit of anti squeal lube . Be careful with it .

Dusty

Offline ccoli

• Gaggle Hero
  • What? Me Worry?
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 02:48:33 PM »
I've seen a small amount of Anti seize used but one must be very careful not to grease the disks as your subject line states. Think it helps control rust and squealing.
Wisconsin MGNOC Rep
03 EVT/EML hack, 99 Bassa, SPIII, 3-78 Robins, 75 T3, 74 Eldo, 32 Sport15, Ambo custom.

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 03:13:14 PM »
I normally give mine a quick shot of anti-squeal from a spray can on the back side. Not sure it helps. It doesn't appear to hurt.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 03:13:14 PM »

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 03:19:37 PM »
Last time I tried a special name brand anti-squeal spray adhesive, I was at a motorcycle meet for a week.  The guy with the spray can and I both followed the directions carefully to apply it, and put things back together.  Sure enough, the squeak was gone...    ...for darned near the rest of the day!  I don't bother any more, and don't have more than an occasional mild squeal at push-around-the-garage speeds.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Online lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 04:53:46 PM »
Sounds like grease or anti seize would just invite dirt and crap  along for the ride. Maybe graphite would be better?

Online Mike Tashjian

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 06:07:57 PM »
There is a product used for disc brakes to stop squealing.  It is used on the back of the pad and kind of bonds the pad to the caliper and piston.  You apply it and let the stuff kind of set up before applying a lot of pressure.  It works OK for the cars that I have owned that needed it.  No grease for the back of the pads, but for calipers that have to slide there is a special brake grease that I buy just for that.  Up here in Syracuse you have to use it on your car brakes or they will rust up and then not work.  I try to lube them up twice a year and that usually is enough to keep them working well.   Mike

Offline Madtownguzzi

• Gosling
Randy S.
98 V11 EV
05 HD Electra Glide Classic
Madison, WI

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 06:35:34 PM »
There is a product used for disc brakes to stop squealing.  It is used on the back of the pad and kind of bonds the pad to the caliper and piston.  You apply it and let the stuff kind of set up before applying a lot of pressure.  

Yes, that's the stuff that worked for me for almost a whole day,  It was red, as I remember.  A Permatex product maybe?  We followed the instructions to the letter, but maybe we just have stubborn calipers.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 06:36:31 PM by Triple Jim »
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here