Author Topic: Front end swap on LeMans IV  (Read 2670 times)

Offline tonyduc

• Gosling
    • Staccato Cycle
Front end swap on LeMans IV
« on: September 18, 2015, 11:39:11 AM »
Anyone have some experience with swapping either forks or an entire front end on the LeMans IV (mine is an '84) for one from a late model GSXR or R1 (which are easier and less expensive to find than one from a Guzzi or Ducati).

I have searched the forum for info, and found this one for a LeMans III, but since the fork size on the LeMans IV is different (40mm), thought I would check the knowledge base here for this specific bike.

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=72212.0

As far as the reason, many have reported improved handling and braking, and of course better looks. I assume if you use the front end from another bike like the GSXR you would also have to use a GSXR wheel, discs & brakes, therefore dropping the LeMans 16" front wheel?

Tony
2011 Stelvio -white
1976 T3
1996 Ducati 900ss CR
2017 Yamaha XT250
1966 Ford Bronco

Former
1969 Ducati 450 SCR
1984 California II
07 Honda VFR
71 CL350
08 Ducati 848
05 Ducati M620
80 Yamaha XS650
73 Suzuki TC100

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Front end swap on LeMans IV
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 11:59:10 AM »
Ed Milich has done some Guzzi front end swaps.  :wink:
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 03:14:36 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Online Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 12:13:54 PM »
Take a look at this thread over on ADV rider called "ugly goose to eagle of Zeus"

I would post a link but tapatalk is acting up. You'll have to search for it. Great build off a homely LM IV

Spoiler alert: the ohlins fork he starts with gets replaced with a gsxr fork later in the thread

Gregor ends up using a gsxr fork, a custom spoked gsxr hub from an aftermarket company, laced to an excel rim.  He had already ditched the 16" LM wheel for a 18" wheel from a Cali

I actually bought the LM IV fork and Cali 18" wheel off of him for my Ambo project and have it here disassembled.. If you need any measurements before you take yours apart, pm me I will send them
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline flangeman_70

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 01:27:24 PM »
You only went to school to learn how to learn

Adam

SP III 1990
V10 Centauro 1996

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 01:27:24 PM »

dibble

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 02:24:47 PM »
I've fitted Cbr600 forks and GSXR yokes to a V50.

Japaneese yokes(Trees) tend to have less offset than Guzzi ones slowing steering.
The reduced offset means the bars/switchgear/forks/your hands hit the tank.

Check the reduced offset doesn't mean the front wheel hits the alternator.

Headset tubes can be different lengths,affecting how much fork is between the yokes and how much is below it,  my forks have 1.5mm less travel than the free length of fork tube.
I had to turn down the stem nut to acceive this or the fork lowers could have hit the bottom of the yokes.

Cali yokes are 45mmn  as are CBR600 F4 (? last of thr right way up ones), both are easy to find.
They have about the right amount of offset but the steering stem is cast in so won't press out, just bend, that lesson cost me 100 pounds.
Might work on a big block though.

Sticking to an entire front end means you can possibly fit it by just  altering steering bearings at the other end of the difficulty spectrum using different yokes, forks and wheel might mean you have to make a special wheel spindle, wheel spacers,  steering and wheel bearings, brake adapter plates, mudguard fixing, some form of speedo drive mount, clock mounts, your steering lock won't work, lockstops, cable guides, headlamp mounts, indicator mounts etc.etc.
I took the second path.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 02:43:05 PM by dibble »

Offline Stevex

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 03:04:29 PM »
Hi,

Mayor means this thread  :thumb:
http://old-advrider.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=972947

Adam

Just finished reading this, amazing. Pity the thread seems to have ground to a halt since May this year.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 03:04:56 PM by Stevex »

Offline Greg Field

• Gaggle Hero
  • The Signs Foretell the Rise of a Guzzi Lama . . .
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 09:29:41 PM »
I put Ballabio forks on an Eldo, along with an EV spoke wheel,  'cause I like spoked whels.

Putting same on an LMIV would be duck soup by comparison.

FWIW I have the purpose-built Forcella Italia forks on my LMIV. These are very good forks.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here