Author Topic: Bike Week... an alternate universe devoid of reality  (Read 5239 times)

Online antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
Bike Week... an alternate universe devoid of reality
« on: March 17, 2019, 05:07:54 PM »
I ventured down to the Daytona Speedway on Saturday to view all the new bikes and peruse the bikes of all attendees and it hit home hard this year that I must have been sucked up in a vortex and deposited in an alternate universe.
I must have seen at least 50-100 of these machines, virtually unable to turn around, let alone lean or even go over a small ripple or bump in the road.

Not a single Guzzi to be seen of any year or model :cry:
I saw maybe 20-30 Ducs, 20-30 Triumphs and 30-40 BMWs
The cacophony from pipes (or lack of) and blaring speakers was remarkable and painful at times.
Still an interesting afternoon. I did enjoy looking at some of the new models. I liked the Kaw w800 and the Indian flat track styled bike and a few others.
Not sure I want to go back but being old I will probably forget about it by next year and do it again.

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Bike Week... an alternate universe devoid of reality
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 05:16:09 PM »
That thing is probably so fast it goes through bumps!
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Nick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 05:21:48 PM »
You should have joined us at Pantheon Pizza on Monday night and Martin's (Flagler Beach) on Wednesday and would have seen a few Guzzi.  :wink:

Martin's

Pantheon

Online antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 05:31:49 PM »
You should have joined us at Pantheon Pizza on Monday night and Martin's (Flagler Beach) on Wednesday and would have seen a few Guzzi.  :wink:

Pantheon

I was at both those events. And as we know, it didn't happen if there is not a picture, I am in the Pantheon picture on the left, in profile, just above the windscreen on the green bike.
Both those events were really great and the turn out was better than last year. And best of all a dually did not back into my bike this year at Martins!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 05:31:49 PM »

Offline Nick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 05:50:57 PM »

oldbike54

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 06:05:05 PM »
 Those lowered bikes are running electric over hydraulic suspension , they are lowered down when stopped , of course even when pumped up the handling still resembles a pig on roller skates  :shocked:

Dusty

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 06:07:30 PM »
Saw this on Main Street.  During Bike Week, Guzzi's may be as rare as hen's teeth, but they are out there.

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 06:13:32 PM »
This needs to added to the thread:  "Just When You Thought You've Seen It All!!" :laugh: :grin: :laugh: :grin:

Alternative universe indeed... :laugh: :grin: :wink: :rolleyes: :shocked: :huh:

boy names that start with the letter o
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Online antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 06:37:10 PM »
To me this is a not a "just when you thought you've seen it all" contraption. If there were just a few of these things then OK. There were as many of these as all the Italian, British and German bikes put together.
There are always a few that will build just about anything. But these things have to be extremely expensive too, and for a machine that seems unusable.
I'm questioning my grip on reality (more than usual).

oldbike54

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2019, 06:40:32 PM »
 Once again , push a button and these lowriders raise up about 6 inches .

Dusty

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2019, 06:42:38 PM »
This needs to added to the thread:  "Just When You Thought You've Seen It All!!" :laugh: :grin: :laugh: :grin:

Alternative universe indeed... :laugh: :grin: :wink: :rolleyes: :shocked: :huh:

boy names that start with the letter o

It is called "rolling art".  It is not meant to be ridden across country.  It is built exclusively to show off. 

When built right some of those bikes actually handle quite well.  If you ever get a chance to ride a Yamaha "Star" Raider you would be amazed at how well it goes through the curves for a chopperish motorcycle.

I was pleasantly surprised at how neutral the handling was and it just leaned over and stayed where I put it. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2019, 06:45:36 PM »
To me this is a not a "just when you thought you've seen it all" contraption. If there were just a few of these things then OK. There were as many of these as all the Italian, British and German bikes put together.
There are always a few that will build just about anything. But these things have to be extremely expensive too, and for a machine that seems unusable.
I'm questioning my grip on reality (more than usual).

For me, every bike has a place in this world.  There is just too much prejudice against bikes that people don't understand.  Why can't all riders just get along and appreciate everyone's differences?

There isn't a bike I would refuse if it were offered to me for free.  I would like to try them all before I die.
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Burkslaw

• Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2019, 08:04:23 PM »
"Bikeweek" is a misnomer. It should now be called "Stereoweek."  The noise coming from some of those mobile sound machines was hugely annoying.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2019, 08:09:23 PM »
"Bikeweek" is a misnomer. It should now be called "Stereoweek."  The noise coming from some of those mobile sound machines was hugely annoying.

As long as it was "Classic Rock" and was clear instead of overdriven distortion I would be OK with it.   :thumb:
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2019, 08:28:30 PM »
As long as it was "Classic Rock" and was clear instead of overdriven distortion I would be OK with it.   :thumb:
They are almost always overdriven. Even so it is unintelligible being drowned out by the pipes, I am not sure if this is a good or bad thing?

Offline cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2019, 08:40:14 PM »
For me, every bike has a place in this world.  There is just too much prejudice against bikes that people don't understand.  Why can't all riders just get along and appreciate everyone's differences?

There isn't a bike I would refuse if it were offered to me for free.  I would like to try them all before I die.

I'm glad someone else feels the same way that I do. 

spend time immersed in motorcycles as a whole and not just in one genre or marque.  When moving between scenes, you hear the same exact script- almost word for word- about the "other" bad/dumb/whatever brands or styles and people who ride them.  (and the same thing happens re: cars, trucks, etc).  Along the way, you meet a few people that just love motorcycles, no matter what kind or style.  Conversations often end with "I wouldn't want one like that, but that's kinda cool.." but without any derogatory judgments.  That's very cool.

One of my Master Sculptors addressed such things very well.  Giuliano would only say whether he liked or didn't like something.  If he didn't like it, it ended there and he moved on.  He didn't say whether it was good or bad.   It was a good lesson.

Bikeweek is Bikeweek.  It's always been an exaggeration of bike reality and the only way to stand out is to be more exaggerated than the rest.   Practicality is irrelevant.  I haven't been to Bikeweek since 2000.  When I went to the Speedway in 2014 or 15 to pick up some parts, I would have never known it was the same place. 
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2019, 08:56:21 PM »

So you have to like every motorcycle that everyone makes? And if you don't, it means that you are prejudiced against them, and you just don't understand?

Is there no place for a simple difference of opinion on usability or esthetics any more?

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2019, 06:12:35 AM »
Both lads make interesting points.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2019, 06:26:24 AM »
As long as it was "Classic Rock"...Believe me, it was about as far from "Classic Rock" as you can get! :angry:

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2019, 07:10:12 AM »
So you have to like every motorcycle that everyone makes? And if you don't, it means that you are prejudiced against them, and you just don't understand?

Is there no place for a simple difference of opinion on usability or esthetics any more?

Lannis

Lannis, most people who express disdain for a particular bike usually have never even tried it.  It is called prejudging.  The one guy didn't even know that the bike is raised when riding and cut it down with a lack of knowledge.  That is prejudging.  I know people who are covered in tattoos and are on the hefty side that would give the shirt off their back to help someone in need, but I read too many posts that prejudge this person. 

If you approach motorcycles with an open mind and with knowledge and then decide that bike is not for you then that is fine.  At least you made an informed decision.  I will ride any bike that is offered to me to ride.  Some I come away with "nice bike" but not for me because of several different factors.  Rideability, affordability, esthetics, etc. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2019, 07:57:12 AM »
And it's fine not to like something, but one doesn't have to be a dick about it, that's all.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2019, 08:04:29 AM »
Like many popular events, it is the huge crowds that turn me off these days. These events were always attended by a diverse array of riders, but the attendance has increased by many orders of magnitude. Also, I feel that the AMA blew it with the racing. There was a time when winning the road race at Daytona was a big international deal...no more.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2019, 08:25:34 AM »

There is a place in The World for them, all.

They have their counterparts in the automotive world...

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline lrutt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2019, 08:39:23 AM »
I used to look down on those ferris wheel bikes but then it's no different than bobbers of the 40's and 50's, chopper of the 70's etc. so now I just look, chuckle and be on my way. I have my own rat bike bobber built out of an old wrecked Honda. Just a way to salvage a perfectly good bike without putting a lot of money in it. Takes all kinds.
06 HD Sporty, 06 Tri Scram, 01 Duc M900, 01 Hon XR650L, 94 HD Heritage, 88 Hon Hawk GT, 84 Yam Virago, 82 Hon C70, 78 Hon CB750k w/sidecar, 76 Hon CB750k, 77 Guzzi Lemans, 73 Norton 850, 73 Hon Z50, 71 Tri Trophy, 70 Tri Tiger, 70 Hon CT90, 71 Yam RT1 360, 65 Hon 305 Dream, 70 Suz T250, 64 Hon CT200

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2019, 09:04:45 AM »
I just got back from 10 days at Bike Week.  Yes, there is still the 'alternate universe' there if that's what you are looking for.  At the same time you can test ride some machines you'd be hard pressed to demo locally.  I rode a HD, a Yamaha, a Kawasaki, and a Vanderhall.  The latter was a real hoot! https://vanderhallusa.com/3-wheel-car/.  My Norton buddies and I enjoyed a few out of the way restaurants, took some 60-70 mile rides through the countryside, took in a bike show/museum full of old British bikes, and even went to see the dirt track races.  At the same time I went to two Guzzi events.  My point is that you can make Bike Week into whatever experience you choose.  It does not have to be all HD 'hey look at me'.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline bodine99

• Gosling
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2019, 09:06:38 AM »
Lots of Guzzi's at Volusia Speedway the 10th for the flat track races. Even 1 racing.

Online antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2019, 12:41:26 PM »
Lannis, most people who express disdain for a particular bike usually have never even tried it.  It is called prejudging.  The one guy didn't even know that the bike is raised when riding and cut it down with a lack of knowledge.  That is prejudging. 
I assume I'm the one guy you are mistakenly referring to?
I do know that they have hydraulic or servo controls to raise the bike. As I said in my previous post, I saw probably close to a hundred there.
I saw many being ridden and also watched as some were turned around in a multi step process that was humorous to watch.
Even raised and running my guess was a couple of inches of clearance and some bikes definitely had scraping on the bottom rear panels.

I think you may have missed my main point in expressing about an alternate universe. That was the fact that there were so many of these almost unrideable machines compared to all the Triumps, Ducs, BMWs and non existent Guzzis.

I could care less what an individual wants to build for whatever reason.
I don't recall stating that I would not want to try one in my earlier posts, but I will now.
While at the track with my son and a friend, I commented while visiting the bike manufacturers tents that I wish I had the time and availability to ride all the bikes, large and small, sport, dual purpose, cruiser, off road, etc. because I would like to sample them all and it would be a fun and interesting experience. Maybe with the exception of Boss Hogs. I might be prejudiced against large heave bikes for my self, weighing in at only 145lbs.
FYI, I know some very nice, kind, gracious people with tattoos, including my daughter. I don't know why this was brought up?
I am certainly open to other genres of music than classic rock.

Maybe I should have started a philosophical discussion of style over/or compared to function instead.

Offline wavedog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2019, 02:43:25 PM »
Bike week is indeed an alternate universe. As one who has traveled in a few alternate universes in times past, I do enjoy Bike week. I hope that I never get over the child like wonder of seeing all the motorcycles even if some of them leave me wondering 'why?'.

This is the tenth year in a row that I have attended Bike Week and it appears to me to be the smallest in both attendence and vendors. Talking to lots of vendors and they agree about attendee numbers, however most of them said that were doing a lot more business this year than last year or the year before. That is good news.

Walking, and riding around the Bike Week environs one would be tempted to accurately describe it as Geriatric Week. Lots of 'seasoned' participants,  myself included. The younger crowd for the most part doesn't show up until the evenings after work and on the weekends.

The young folks riding Groms looked like they were having fun. The grim faced riders of those strange non turnable hydraulic lowering tall front wheel baggers only looked liked they were having fun when parked and drinking beer. Every monkey to his own swing.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 02:45:18 PM by wavedog »

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2019, 06:00:36 PM »
I've been going to bike week off and on for 30 years now.  It aint' what it used to be.  The Harley display at the Convention Center...gone.  The big HOG concert on Friday night (saw ZZ Top one year) gone. The HD parade to the races...gone. BMW demos...gone. Once, many years ago, even Moto Guzzi had a small demo tent set up.  I rode a V11 LeMans.  Millers...and all the surrounding vendors...gone.  Beach Street vendors...gone.  MMI horsepower dyno contest...gone, along with MMI.  Hell, even the Shark lounge is gone! Is nothing sacred?

oldbike54

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2019, 10:28:41 PM »
 The really large national *biker* events are fading away , or returning to something more resembling what they were before about 1983 when the rubbie phenomenon started in earnest . I've only been in Daytona once , 1983 , travelled down from East Texas with a friend who owned one of the first Honda dealers in the US . We drove down in his motorhome , parked in the infield at the speedway , and barely left .

Have made the Black Hills event a few times , before it became so large , and after , my understanding is it peaked around 2002 and has been slowly shrinking .

Dusty

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here