Author Topic: Exhaust pipe question  (Read 646 times)

Online willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
Exhaust pipe question
« on: March 05, 2024, 12:05:54 PM »

My 2008 1200 sport exhaust pipe has a crack in the top as you can see. It seems to be a emitting a burnt smell and after riding, my wife says my clothing have an exhaust odor. Do you think that is the culprit of the burnt odor?

If so, I’m thinking of replacing it and was wondering if an exhaust pipe from a 2-valve Norge or Breva 1100 would fit and work properly? I figured I would ask this before asking any former members if they have an exhaust pipe like this that they would want to sell. Thanks.
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Online Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Exhaust pipe question
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2024, 12:15:12 PM »
Give it a good clean up and patch with some braze...

Online dguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sorry, I'm woke so I'll be quiet.
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2024, 12:42:19 PM »
I agree with Frenchfrog!
'03 EVT
'87 Cagiva
'72 Commando
'71 Commando
'90 Miata
'16 Mustang

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2024, 12:48:16 PM »
Give it a good clean up and patch with some braze...

Braze? Is that the real name and can I pick it up at an auto parts store or Walmart?

I was actually wondering if there was something inside the exhaust pipe like baffling, or some thing that was deteriorating and causing it to smell?
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2024, 12:48:16 PM »

Online Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2024, 01:36:25 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazing

Looks like there is a substantial crack in the pipe...It might be double skinned but seeing how dirty the outside is I could not affirm that. I think your wife is on the money !

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2024, 02:33:43 PM »
I just took some soapy water and sprayed it onto the exhaust pipe all around the 5 inch bracket and there’s definitely leakage going on in multiple areas. I’m really questioning whether or not it can be brazed because of the “carbon like”

wrapping on this particular exhaust pipe. But the first opportunity I have I’ll take it off and see if a local welder can braze it.

. But just in the event that it doesn’t help, will one of those exhaust pipes fit my bike?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 02:49:30 PM by willowstreetguzziguy »
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2024, 03:34:56 PM »
Upon closer inspection of my tailpipe, I believe the carbon wrapping on the pipe is going to present a problem to any brazing or welding. I think what I’ll do is cut it off from both ends to expose the metal underneath and probably see a bigger crack, which at that point hopefully can be braised or welded. I don’t think anything can be done with that carbon wrap on it. Any thoughts?

« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 04:18:36 PM by willowstreetguzziguy »
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 

Online Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2024, 04:27:17 PM »
I thought it was the down pipe that was the problem and you are right....I think replacement is your only option ! I'm not that familiar with that era of guzzi's but it doesn't seem to be a factory original silencer either.
Have a look at the mounting points compared to the other bikes you mention and that might give a clue to compatibility.
Or if you are feeling flush have a look at the Mistral and Agostini silencer ranges....they really are both  excellent options.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2024, 04:53:08 PM »
Yes, replacement may be my only option. Tomorrow I’ll takeoff the carbon wrap and see. And take it to a welder. That’s why I’d like to find out if anyone knows whether or not these other stock pipes like the 1100 Breva and 1200 Norge will fit? My guess is that they should but I’m waiting for someone else to confirm that.
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2024, 05:33:34 PM »
If you want to save it, get a piece of suitable material tube that has an inside diameter the same as your outside diameter.
Cut out a patch that laps onto the good material with a decent margin and get it TIG’d on.
It will outlast the rest of the bike.
The “S” pipe on my Norge began to leak where the but join is and I fixed it in that way 10 years ago.
It still works.

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2024, 07:54:39 PM »
This is a common issue. **DONT take off the wrap!!!!  I had mine repaired. The 'CF wrap' is just that, cosmetics. Had it repaired 4 years ago, local guy, not sure what he did, but he identified it as stainless steel and did a nice job. I'll try to take a pic when I have a chance.

I'd like to know if a Norge Exhaust Can is compatible with the 1200 Sport. Funny how the universe works, I was just going to ask this question. I have a new Mistral for the 1200 Sport and am debating between selling it with the bike or keeping it for the new Norge.

IMO, the 1200 Sport Exhaust note is one of the best OEM exhaust sounds ever made. Not sure why I bought the Mistral, but I did because......... Well, you all know............... ..  :cool:
« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 08:25:29 PM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2024, 08:32:44 PM »
This is a common issue. **DONT take off the wrap!!!!  I had mine repaired. The 'CF wrap' is just that, cosmetics. Had it repaired 4 years ago, local guy, not sure what he did, but he identified it as stainless steel and did a nice job. I'll try to take a pic when I have a chance.

I'd like to know if a Norge Exhaust Can is compatible with the 1200 Sport. Funny how the universe works, I was just going to ask this question. I have a new Mistral for the 1200 Sport and am debating between selling it with the bike or keeping it for the new Norge.

IMO, the 1200 Sport Exhaust note is one of the best OEM exhaust sounds ever made. Not sure why I bought the Mistral, but I did because......... Well, you all know............... ..  :cool:

I guess the question is, will a Norge exhaust fit it, perform well, and sound the same? So if I can get an answer to those questions, I’ll post a WTB on the marketplace.ASAP.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 08:34:07 PM by willowstreetguzziguy »
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 

Offline Don G

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2024, 07:49:01 AM »
I have a 1200 Sport muffler on my Norge, bolted straight on, I am wondering however though if the Breva 1100 and Norge had a catalytic convertor in their mufflers?  DonG

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2024, 09:13:28 AM »
I have a 1200 Sport muffler on my Norge, bolted straight on, I am wondering however though if the Breva 1100 and Norge had a catalytic convertor in their mufflers?  DonG

You bring up a good point… I do recall several years ago on this forum where several riders complained about the excessive heat coming from underneath their Breva 1100, maybe because of where the catalytic converter was placed on that bike. I never ever felt excessive heat, so I believe that the 1200 sport has the catalytic converter placed somewhere else maybe the same as the Norge to avoid that heat? so my question still remains…

Will a 2V Norge muffler fit and perform on a 2V 1200 Sport?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 12:49:11 PM by willowstreetguzziguy »
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2024, 06:53:36 PM »
A big THANK YOU to Bulldog9 for recommending that I check with a good welder. I did and he was able to TIG weld around the bracket and down the cracks. He said the carbon-like material was very thin and was difficult to weld but he did a great job using stainless steel so it won’t rust. Glad I could save my muffler. Not too much of the welding is visible since most of it is on the side facing the wheel.

2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here