Author Topic: Opinions requested regarding vintage motorcycles  (Read 3207 times)

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Opinions requested regarding vintage motorcycles
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2019, 11:44:52 PM »
Given those guidelines, I'd advise save your money.  Take the Vetter off.  Go back to oem.  Ride it that way.  If you want to do any touring, add a National Cycle Plexistar II or III to the bike with soft luggage.  All of that is easy on/off and transferable other bikes.  The Cal 1400 Touring will satisfy your long distance touring.

This bike could be for the fun day rides.   :thumb:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2019, 12:35:27 AM »
I always liked the Honda 900 Customs. Long, soft riding, really good looking. Never got one, but that's true of lots of stuff I wanted. You will most likely love it. And all my bikes are that old. Parts have never been an issue.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2019, 05:48:01 AM »

Thanks guys for all the advice and moral support. You guys have great insight and that’s the reason I ask your opinions 👍👍👍

Get the bike.  Leave the stash back in '83!
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2019, 07:24:14 AM »
really other then the normal wear stuff... those 80's Japanese bikes really just keep going..  So I would have no issues having one to ride all the time. As for as if its worth it... only you can say that..  But really....  Just get the bike.
Paul B

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2019, 07:24:14 AM »

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2019, 07:39:26 AM »
My bikes are from the 70s and 80s - a couple as new as the early 90s. Any antique bike is rideable as proven by the Cannonball rally, but I figure the 70s is the point where they become more dependable and better suited as daily riders. Of course there were some before that time that fit that description, but generally that seems to be true. About that time some of the improvements were oil filters, better metallurgy, brakes, suspension,and powerful enough for everyday traffic are a few of the considerations.

I work on my own and that helps a lot with ownership of older bikes. It also adds to the satisfaction. if it makes you smile, go for it! 

Offline bodine99

• Gosling
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2019, 07:43:27 AM »
I have a 1981 Suz GS-1000 with Vetter fairing and hard bags. Now just over 51,000 miles. Got it in 01 from the orig owner. Your new ride is built proof. All the maintenance stuff is out there. Parts Unlimited and Rocky have just about everything. Brake pads, cables, mcl./kits ect.-ect. My GS has had a couple of batteries, tires and 1 reg./rect. Do a full blown service and tires & go from there. I would keep the fairing they are a pleasure!! Geezer glides rock. Only draw back is the bikes from then are geared for the 55 mph speed limit. At highway speed they are more thirsty. I would add a digital voltron meter just so you know charging system status. My GS has made the trip to Barber Vintage 4x's without any issues about 1300 miles rt. Enjoy!! :thumb:

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2019, 08:03:32 AM »
Thanks guys for all the great responses as they mean a lot and are well taken. I am going foreword with the purchase and after talking with the owner several times now I’m convinced, as mush as possible, that the ole 83 will hit the road running with no issues. The only thing it looks like I’ll have to do is replace the tires as they are the original Dunlop Qualifiers and sighs of dry rot or not they must go!
Now..... if I can just convince one of you guys in MN, who may be looking for an adventure,  to ride her to NC and hang out with me a couple days to ride the blue ridge parkway, I’ll by you a plane ticket back home. As well as pay your expenses. Now how could anyone who loves old bikes refuse an offer like that:)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 08:10:46 AM by Ncdan »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2019, 08:12:09 AM »
That is one fine looking bike. I can't understand why they didn't sell well.
I guess too many are caught up in bigger is better.

When I first saw those silverwings I was smitten but they were way out of my price range as a surf bum on Daytona Beach.  I see one come up for sale every now and then but I have learned that I like to ride more than tinker
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2019, 08:40:32 AM »
When I first saw those silverwings I was smitten but they were way out of my price range as a surf bum on Daytona Beach.  I see one come up for sale every now and then but I have learned that I like to ride more than tinker
I had a GL500 and the 83 Gl650. Both of these bikes were simple and bullet proof and they can be bought cheap enough that if you ever find a nice one go for it, life is short;)

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2019, 02:00:07 PM »
Re-title your thread you’ll get lots of replies...why, if I was a young whipper snapper I’d take you up on that offer!!! A free ride from Minn to NCarolina did you say? Riding your cb900 dual range?

Can’t wait to see what happens ..

I found two really great antiques and love having them around, but 1k-3k miles per year on each would be amazing for me to accomplish. I putz around reliving the experience but not the time or distance.

Spent too much? Yes, but that’s not the point..and it was also done in both cases over a long period of time. It becomes a bit of a treasure hunt...a resource hunt too for people and businesses that can help you out....turns into a social network too..

One of them is a duplicate of my first bike. That’s a big deal..
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2019, 03:45:01 PM »
Re-title your thread you’ll get lots of replies...why, if I was a young whipper snapper I’d take you up on that offer!!! A free ride from Minn to NCarolina did you say? Riding your cb900 dual range?

Can’t wait to see what happens ..

I found two really great antiques and love having them around, but 1k-3k miles per year on each would be amazing for me to accomplish. I putz around reliving the experience but not the time or distance.

Spent too much? Yes, but that’s not the point..and it was also done in both cases over a long period of time. It becomes a bit of a treasure hunt...a resource hunt too for people and businesses that can help you out....turns into a social network too..

One of them is a duplicate of my first bike. That’s a big deal..
One correction if I may Chuckie, CB 1000. In 83 they bump the the CB line up from 900 to 1000cc. I suspect they maybe just stroked the motor to get that 100  extra CC displacement, could have bored it also.
Anyhow will this change your mind about doing it for me:)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 08:09:19 PM by Ncdan »

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2019, 05:19:53 PM »
Don't forget the Inaugural Vintage Honda Rally at Copperhead Lodge, Blairsville, Georgia (VJMC)Aug 31~Sept 2
I'll be there with my stock CB900c (Candy Muse Red and Candy Antares Red)
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Yeahoo Whoyah

• Gaggle Hero
  • 1971 LAPD Ambassador - 1976 Convert
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2019, 05:36:14 PM »
I would keep the fairing they are a pleasure!! Geezer glides rock.
  :thumb:
Greg Tillitson
El Dorado Hills Calif.

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2019, 08:12:11 PM »
Don't forget the Inaugural Vintage Honda Rally at Copperhead Lodge, Blairsville, Georgia (VJMC)Aug 31~Sept 2
I'll be there with my stock CB900c (Candy Muse Red and Candy Antares Red)
Thanks Taz. If you can remember would you give me a heads up reminder on that rally in August as I very well may attend if I have it here and ready by then👍

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2019, 08:25:26 PM »
I'd keep the windjammer on there, I think they look cool !
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2019, 07:34:59 AM »
I'd keep the windjammer on there, I think they look cool !
Yea that’s what I’m thinking and I have access to the rest of the vetter equipment that I’ll just have to get color matched painted.

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2019, 01:46:31 PM »
Thanks Taz. If you can remember would you give me a heads up reminder on that rally in August as I very well may attend if I have it here and ready by then👍
Will do
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2019, 02:05:11 PM »
Man, as a Euro bike snob in the 80's, I really hated those.  Aesthetically, mechanically; hell, I hated the very ethos of the damn things.  Time passes and things change.  When this showed up at my little bike meet, I was really pleased.

Reliable, comfortable, powerful, and high cool factor with the 10 speed.  Good purchase.  Probably a poor investment but motorcycles pretty much define the concept of PI.
He lost the run of himself.

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2019, 02:55:04 PM »
Man, as a Euro bike snob in the 80's, I really hated those.  Aesthetically, mechanically; hell, I hated the very ethos of the damn things.  Time passes and things change.  When this showed up at my little bike meet, I was really pleased.

Reliable, comfortable, powerful, and high cool factor with the 10 speed.  Good purchase.  Probably a poor investment but motorcycles pretty much define the concept of PI.
That’s a drop dead beautiful 900!

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2019, 07:50:52 PM »
I never liked any of the Japanese customs from that time except the CB1000s, still a good looking bike. Good luck with it.
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2019, 09:05:16 PM »
I never liked any of the Japanese customs from that time except the CB1000s, still a good looking bike. Good luck with it.
Just  curious Steven, the 80-82 900s are almost identical to the
83 cb1000c, I’m not sure why you would like the 1000 but not the little brother 900?

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2019, 09:13:53 PM »
Be sure to join the VJMC club.  Those guys are rabid.  The level of restoration found in Mpls-St.Paul would trophy at Pebble Beach! 

https://vjmc.org/
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2019, 07:22:27 AM »

I was definitely drawn to the black and gold Yamaha midnight specials. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline yellowheader

• New Egg
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2019, 12:13:28 PM »

I didn't care for the Japanese "cruisers" either as a general rule, but the 900c dressed up with fairing and hard bags was the exception. I think it was because I saw it more as a middleweight tourer in its own right rather than a Harley wannabee.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here