Author Topic: Cal. EV fuel problem  (Read 1734 times)

Offline Rolf Halvorsen

• Gosling
Cal. EV fuel problem
« on: July 14, 2019, 03:29:10 PM »

upload image

A friend of mine sent me this picture - asking me if a broken rod (shown in picture) can cause a fuel pump problem.

I ask you to help me. I do not know the function of this rod, but since all things has a function, it seems to be logical that a broken metal rod connected with a red wire on one end and a possible condensator on the other end - may cause a fuel pump problem.

What says you?

Rolf

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: Cal. EV fuel problem
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 04:07:26 PM »
That's a fuel pump? Looks more like a filter. I've seen a few EV pumps and that isn't it.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 04:08:29 PM by fotoguzzi »
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Nick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 04:43:59 PM »
That's a fuel pump? Looks more like a filter. I've seen a few EV pumps and that isn't it.

It actually is  :wink: . The fuel filter is being held by a plastic zip tie to the fuel pump assembly, inside the fuel tank. I think it's for 2003 and later EVs.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 04:55:35 PM by Nick »

Offline Nick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 04:51:46 PM »

upload image

A friend of mine sent me this picture - asking me if a broken rod (shown in picture) can cause a fuel pump problem.

I ask you to help me. I do not know the function of this rod, but since all things has a function, it seems to be logical that a broken metal rod connected with a red wire on one end and a possible condensator on the other end - may cause a fuel pump problem.

What says you?

Rolf
I think, but I'm not positive, that is the fuel level sensor. I'm sure someone more mechanically inclined than I will chime in soon  :thumb:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 04:52:50 PM by Nick »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 04:51:46 PM »

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 04:59:46 PM »
That IS the fuel level sensor. If the fuel filter comes loose, it move around and can break the sensor. I repaired one with some brass tubing and soldered over it. A broken sensor simply means the light won't work right.

Most of the 'problems' inside the tank though are from the fuel line blowing off.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 07:20:36 PM »
It actually is  :wink: . The fuel filter is being held by a plastic zip tie to the fuel pump assembly, inside the fuel tank. I think it's for 2003 and later EVs.

i see now, duh! I was Looking for the external pump.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Rolf Halvorsen

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 01:39:03 AM »
Thank you all. Yes it must be the furl sensor rod that is broken. Is this an ordinary brass rod - (that can be welded) or a special rod?

Will a broken rod make trouble? I think that the rod is fed with a specific current, and that the fuel level is given based on how much of the rod that is submerged in fuel.
A broken rod will make on/of contact based on vibrations. I do not know how the ECU reads the signal. A broken fuel sensor should not inflect the rest - but who knows.

Please comment if you can.

Rolf

Offline Rolf Halvorsen

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 05:51:17 AM »

Problem solved.

The bike had problem running. We decided to take out the fuel pump (inside) and clean. There was a lot of water in the tank. When we removed the pump/filter-unit, it was discovered that the fuel sensor was broken, and that was the background of this thread.

Early this morning my friend went to get the rod welded. THEN he detected that the fuel pipe (rubber) was totally cracked (see picture). He had not seen this the day before.

This must be the reason for the engine not running well.

My friend will change the filter as well. The filter is Mahle KL145. BMW RT 1150 uses the same pump and filter. The filter can be ordered separately but I have no Guzzi number for it.

Rolf

Offline antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2019, 06:51:17 AM »
I just did this same job on my Griso.

Some of this will apply to yours.
https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=101652.msg1609578#msg1609578

KJRJ

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2019, 12:36:19 PM »
Hi.
I broke mine some years ago, trying to fix the fuel pipe issue. For an EV the sensor is only available (UK at least) as part of the whole assembly. I was able to buy a new Breva 750 sensor. Fitted, although I remember it was not a direct swap - different length. Now that the fuel pipe problem is fixed I now have my fuel idiot light back. It may now operate at a slightly different level but I have yet to run dry. I just am not sure if the 'reserve' is smaller and by how much.

Offline Mr Revhead

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2019, 01:29:56 AM »
A broken sensor simply means the light won't work right.

Most of the 'problems' inside the tank though are from the fuel line blowing off.

You presume it works accurately to start with!  :grin:

Yep fuel hose popping off from two causes, 1: wrong hose used and it swells 2: Those silly crimp ear clips, replace with proper EFI hose clamps.

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2019, 08:58:41 AM »
You presume it works accurately to start with!  :grin:

When I repaired the fuel level sensor on mine, I also modified it.
On the 4.7 gallon tank, the my light originally came on with 1.4 gallons remained. That is about 60 miles remained. So I bent the sensor a bit. Now it is closer to 1 gallon remaining, or maybe about 40 miles when the light comes on. I prefer that. Still to small a tank though IMHO.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline MGrego

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2019, 10:08:37 AM »
When I repaired the fuel level sensor on mine, I also modified it.
On the 4.7 gallon tank, the my light originally came on with 1.4 gallons remained. That is about 60 miles remained. So I bent the sensor a bit. Now it is closer to 1 gallon remaining, or maybe about 40 miles when the light comes on. I prefer that. Still to small a tank though IMHO.

I need to replace the thermistor/sensor on my EV.  Anyone know a good source for a replacement ?

Offline adaven

• 2024 Board Donor
  • Hatchling
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2019, 09:04:24 AM »
Both MG Cycle and Harpers have them. Part # Part Number: 03103000

Offline Rolf Halvorsen

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2019, 03:33:37 AM »
My friend (the owner of the bike) had ordered a fuel filter (MAHLE KL145).

He received a filter in a plastic house. The benefit is that one can see if the filter is dirty. The negative is that you cannot see anything when the filter is placed inside a tank.

AND we are critical to use a plastic house instead of a aluminium house - when we are talking about fuel with 3 bars pressure.

Anyone likes to comment?

Rolf

Offline Rolf Halvorsen

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2019, 03:35:58 AM »

I am trying to post a picture.

Rolf
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 03:37:19 AM by Rolf Halvorsen »

Offline pat80flh

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2019, 04:31:48 AM »
Here in the U.S. our fuel is 10-15% ethanol. This mixture will attack and weaken the plastic,  eventually causing it to fail.  I would not use that, and find an all metal filter.
00 Bassa
80 FLH (in rehab)
84 V65C
75 850T prject

Offline antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2019, 05:53:18 AM »
He got the wrong filter sent to him. The Mahle is all metal. Only use the all metal.
Also the hoses need to be the fully submersible SAE 30R10 spec, otherwise they will swell and leak and you will be doing the job again on the side of the road pretty soon.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here