Author Topic: Suggestions For Crossing Nebraska?  (Read 2376 times)

Offline Travlr

• Gaggle Hero
Suggestions For Crossing Nebraska?
« on: July 14, 2019, 04:02:28 PM »
I'm going to be riding a motorcycle from Sioux City, Ia. to Glenwood Springs, Co. the first week in August.  Sturgis is that week so I want to stay out of S. Dakota.  I could use some route advice across Nebraska.  Here are some parameters.

Total distance is a bit over 700 miles.  Or 2 days of 350 miles each. 
I love Daniel Kalala's stuff.  Small towns, back roads, no interstates, etc.

Any suggestions as to road selections or "must see" attractions?

Thanks in advance.

Mike 
1991 Moto Guzzi LeMans 5
1977 BMW R100S

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Suggestions For Crossing Nebraska?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 04:19:59 PM »
I took HY 2 across NW Ne. in May. Nice stretch through the sandhills   :thumb:   Plenty of stuff to see if you're a fan of the lone prairie.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 04:25:18 AM by Guzzistajohn »
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Moto

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 06:11:27 PM »
I have enjoyed US-20 across northern Nebraska, especially to Chadron and Chadron State Park. Very nice cabins and swimming pool there, and very dark skies for stargazing.

But that would add about a hundred and twenty-five miles to your 700-mile total for the direct route.

I don't think there are any can't-miss attractions in Nebraska. If you want to be like Daniel Kalal, you'll have to adjust to his attitude. He finds something interesting in the ordinary, wherever he goes. Maybe he'll chime in with some recommendations. He gave me recommendations once for how to cross Kansas, but I didn't take enough time to really follow them. As a result, my experience was less than what his would have been.

Go slow, and talk to people, are the only real recommendations I could offer. Enjoy your trip.

Moto

Offline blackbuell

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waitin' on the ghost of Tom Joad
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 06:18:18 PM »
Highway 2 is much more interesting than the interstate or rt. 20.
Bikes: 2007 Norge, YAM RD250, 2017 Indian Scout. 2021 V7 850 Special

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 06:18:18 PM »

Offline Daleroso

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 06:28:03 PM »
Rte 2 is nice.
Ft Robinson where Crazy Horse was murdered by a Army private.
It's been awhile but I believe it's Nebraska where I saw an Oregon Trail sign. Parked the bike edge of road & walked between the ruts to where I looked back & only saw tall grass. No bike or road. I could only imagine.
Saw a historical marker near the ONLY tree around. A winter storm approaching the late 1800's. The school teacher took the class to her house. Not knowing, one student's mother went to get him/her (?). Locals found her frozen at the base of this tree after the storm passed.
There's interesting things in every state.
I enjoy history & trivia.

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 06:29:02 PM »
Any suggestions as to road selections or "must see" attractions?

You're crossing on a long diagonal that is not aligned with the rivers (or railroads) of Nebraska.  that means you'll be stepping from one east/west road down to the next.  How you do those steps won't matter too much, but this might be interesting:

starting in Sioux City
US-35, aim for Wayne, NE
NE-91, aim for Albion, NE
NE-92, aim for Arnold, NE (Nebraska's numbering system can be annoying as it uses similar numbers without any reason)
NE-23, aim for Wallace, NE
CO-14, aim for Stoneham, CO
now you're on your own to get to your final destination

If you shoot for the listed town (somewhat randomly picked) you would then look for the next highway and drop down to it at some point, while aiming for the next little town listed.

As to must-see attractions; you'll need to dial back.  What you're looking for is evidence of what Nebraska was like before center-pivot irrigation made dramatic changes in the crops and before freeways realigned everything.  Certainly, on the roads I've listed, you'll be riding in something closer to 1959 than 2019.  As a note; most small towns will have a café, but there might not be much of a sign--look for the pickup trucks and order what they're eating.

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2019, 06:35:53 PM »
I took HY 2 across NW Ne. in May. Nice stretch through the sandhills   :thumb:   Plenty of stuff to see if you're a fan on the lone prairie.

This is the best route I have found.  Very little traffic and has some decent scenery, which is saying something for Nebraska!  Highly recommended. 

BTW, if you do take 2, once you get to Alliance drop down to Scottsbluff, then take 71 south to near Stoneham in CO.  71 is another great route with little traffic that traverses the entire width of the Pawnee National Grassland. 
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 06:45:03 PM by alanp »
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis
'07 Griso, '07 Norge, '03 California SS, '02 California SS, '02 V11 Lemans,  '83 Lemans III, '77 Lemans

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2019, 07:07:32 PM »
airplane.  :evil:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline TDF

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2019, 07:19:12 PM »
I'm going to be riding a motorcycle from Sioux City, Ia. to Glenwood Springs, Co. the first week in August. 

Which days, and on what make of bike?

Theres been a lot of good suggestions about sites to see out in the heart of the state so far, so I wont go into too much detail, other than to say hwy 2 is one of my favorites but doesn't lend itself well to what you're doing as it essentially angles through the state from the Southeast to the Northwest and your going Northeast to Southwest.  But you could catch part of it.  Any of it much west of Grand Island is pretty. 

If you're in the Lincoln area on the first Wednesday of the month from 5 to 9 PM, down in the old haymarket is European Bike Night.  We block off a block with barricades and only allow bikes in.  Preferably European.  Some fine eateries along that block as well. 

Hwy 6 angles down from Omaha to McCook and continue west into CO.  Not near the scenery of hwy 2, well OK no scenery, just a trip through small town Nebraska, but beats the hell out of the interstate.  Though I'd try and get off of it and catch some of the little highways like the afore mentioned 23 that Daniel Kalal noted.

TDF
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 07:21:36 PM by TDF »
2000 V11 Sport
2002 MV Agusta F4 750
2000 KTM 640 Duke II
1966 Ducati Sebring 350
1965 Ducati Bronco 125
1958 MDS Super Dart 70
1966 Honda CL77
1949 Ariel VB 600
1983 Husqvarna WR430
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star
1973 Suzuki TS125
68 & 73 CT90's
Plus a whole herd of parts bikes
Emerald NE

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2019, 07:26:48 PM »
As one who has gone through NE and really has no appreciation for the heartland, don't take your time.  :evil:
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2019, 08:45:14 PM »
hwy 2 is one of my favorites but doesn't lend itself well to what you're doing as it essentially angles through the state from the Southeast to the Northwest and your going Northeast to Southwest

Don't be dissuaded.  The best part of Hwy 2 is the essentially due east/west section that ends in Alliance.  The only road that is going to get you where you are going significantly quicker is I-80.  But it is true, you don't want to do ALL of 2, just the western most portion. 
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 08:45:49 PM by alanp »
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis
'07 Griso, '07 Norge, '03 California SS, '02 California SS, '02 V11 Lemans,  '83 Lemans III, '77 Lemans

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2019, 09:20:50 PM »
 Top gear, 6200 rpm  :evil:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 08:05:43 AM by John A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline rschrum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2019, 09:58:54 PM »
Ole's big game bar and steakhouse, Paxton NE.
15 GRISO
00 ZX12r
07 Tuono Factory
01 ZRX 1200R
19 Monster 1200R
2012 MV Agusta Brutale 1090R
08 Ducati s4rs Tricolore
22 Indian FTR Championship
Central Iowa

Offline LongRanger

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2019, 01:12:22 PM »
If you find yourself anywhere near Alliance, NE, stop at Carhenge just to say you did it. But don't go too far out of your way just to do it.
2012 BMW R1200R Classic

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2019, 01:24:54 PM »
…stop at Carhenge just to say you did it...

the unfortunate thing about Carhenge is that it is no longer what it once was.  When first put up it was an ironic/humorous twist on Stonehenge except for the cars instead of stones and the sandhills substituting for the Salisbury Plains.  Clever.

Now, the site is also occupied by other art installations that are nowhere near as clever and take away seeing Carhenge against a background of the sandhills.

Photographers now have to be very careful with composition (to avoid seeing the other stuff out there) if you want to maintain the illusion of Cargenge being in a vast plains (just as I had to do for this shot, back in 2005).

But, as was said, if you're within a few miles of it, you should go have a look...

Offline bete

• New Egg
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2019, 08:11:29 PM »
I like 2 also, I have ridden and driven  it several times.  I really like the sandhills.

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2019, 10:02:37 AM »
Ole's big game bar and steakhouse, Paxton NE.
:thumb:

If it walked, crawled, flew or swam Ole shot it or caught it and displayed it in the bar.  Worth the visit even if it's a bit off your chosen route.
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

Offline jim_W

• New Egg
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2019, 04:26:45 PM »
I just rode from Des Moines to Cody Wyoming on US 20. Nice road with no traffic and lots of rolling ranch land  Might be more traffic when rally going on in SD.
"There are a few must-haves in life. They are (1) air, (2) food and drink, (3) clothing, (4) shelter, and (5) a good revolver. Everything else is optional."

Offline PICKLEKOOKEN

• Gaggle Mentor
  • 74 ELDO ( MOTHER GOOSE) 2007 NORGY
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2019, 12:50:40 PM »
At night and as fast as you feel safe!
So many curves. so little time!

Online ccoli

• Gaggle Hero
  • What? Me Worry?
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2019, 08:52:13 AM »
We recently took 34 across the state to deliver a bike and vacation in Colorado. The pavement was in better shape than most interstate highways. Plan out your gas stops though as towns are scarce.
Wisconsin MGNOC Rep
03 EVT/EML hack, 99 Bassa, SPIII, 3-78 Robins, 75 T3, 74 Eldo, 32 Sport15, Ambo custom.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here