Author Topic: Extreme powersports. Demo ride.  (Read 1406 times)

Offline Sykestone8886

• Gosling
Extreme powersports. Demo ride.
« on: June 29, 2019, 07:14:22 PM »
Rode the stornello down to extreme powersports in accident MD today test rode the new v85. Fell in love with it. Going to see what bike I can sell to get some cash in the bank. ( gotta have one) also rode the bobber sport. They took you on a really nice half hour ride not many riders, thought there would have been a better turnout.
54HDFL  73HDFLH. 85HDFLT. 73suzukiTS 250 76hHONDA cb360

Offline john fish

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Extreme powersports. Demo ride.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 07:21:08 PM »
I went yesterday.  Seemed like a nice place.  Not many people there, I was the only one on my demo ride.  :)
They had lots and lots of V7s if anyone's interested.
He lost the run of himself.

Offline Sykestone8886

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 07:26:51 PM »
What did you think of it ?

Offline john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 07:42:19 PM »
Here's what i posted in the dedicated TT thread:

Rode one today.  Some random thoughts.
The gray is bland and a mistake.
Passing power feels equivalent to my Jackal.  Maybe a bit better.
The mirrors are fantastic.
The gears shift like a rifle bolt.  Very good.
The engine is veeery smooth.  Almost like a Honda.  The gear indicator and rev limiter are useful.  I rode my V11 Sport over to the test ride and it's like night and day.  The V11 engine has a huge amount of character and lets you know what's happening at all times.  You definitely know that large metal bits are violently being tossed about by explosions just underneath.  The TT is a bit bland in comparison.  However, it still has that broad torque band that can make for deceptively quick progress.
The analog gauges on the V11 are much easier to read than the digital screen.
Clutch is crazy light.
Fork dive is noticeable under braking but that's to be expected.
Suspension is road compliant but not dirt bike soft.  I hit a pothole on purpose and felt it; especially in the rear suspension.
Steering is very light.  Due, I imagine, to the slender and tall front wheel and wide bars.  I liked it.
Impossible to ride with forefoot on the pegs- the passenger peg mount gets in the way and makes it uncomfortable.
The little screen seems to work OK.  I didn't have it on the highway but it kept the wind manageable.
Ergonomics were OK for me.  I'm 6'2" with about 33" inseam.  The seat is scooped and kind of keeps you in one spot.  Very nice for riding the twisties, might be uncomfortable for a couple hundred miles.

I'll put it this way.  I did 400 miles on the Jackal last weekend and 160 miles on the V11 Sport today.  All in all, I'd have rather been on the V85TT for both rides.
He lost the run of himself.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 07:42:19 PM »

Online Trialsman

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2019, 09:41:35 PM »
I was supposed to be on the test ride yesterday with you but I had to bail and go pick up my bike at Team Charlotte.  After 460mi in the truck I made a deal with Tee to leave my truck at their place for the weekend while I play on the V85.  My bags did not come in yet so I put on some Wolfman soft bags from a dirt bike.  I do not like had top cases (I want to be able slide out if necessary in a crash) so I put on a kayak deck bag.  I had this on my 990 and it works well.  I put in the key, pulled out on the road in front of the shop and within 10 seconds the dash lit up like a Christmas tree in the first three gears - it is a VERY willing rever and I had to back off.  Here are some random thoughts so far with about 150mi on it.

Fit and finish is really good.  I’m not a fan of the red frame but it is only paint so I have an idea - the headlight support and the bolton tail sections are easily removed so I will strip them and powder coat them black.  It will tone it down and I think the red frame will look great.  Bear in mind this is only MY opinion, so just an option out there.

The handle bars are the right height but I will cut off about 1”-1 1/2”.

The gears engage very easily with only a positive click - so un Guzzi like.  A small problem is at a red light finding neutral.  I find it easier to click down from second while rolling to a stop rather than clicking up from first.  It could even be in the clutch adjustment.  I will play with it tomorrow, hopefully I will be meeting up with Drac somewhere around the Dragon.

The clutch is probably the best mechanical clutch I have ever used, except I cant wait to cut the ends off.  I only use one or two fingers - personal preference.

Engine power is very smooth.  They were right when they described it as linear.  Anything above 2500rpm it pulls quite strong.  Not as strong as my KTM 990 but stronger than my F800GSA.  It doesn’t have the depth of power that my Norge or Stelvio have but it is not a 1200cc either.  I think it will be perfect as is, well maybe put in a cross over pipe for the cat.

I did cruise at 75mph a little.  At 76 the warning light starts to show so extreme top end will not be much above 100mph.  Starting I am still searching for the stall point but the clutch is sooo good you can slip it and I have yet to stall it at extreme bottom end (1000rpm).

Ergonomics were very good.  I am 5’-10” 160# with 31” inseam.  Knee angle was very comfortable but I am going to experiment removing the rubber inserts tomorrow to see about helping the transition to standing on rougher sections.  It is NOT a dirt bike but should be very capable.

This bike is so stable I feel like I should stand on the seat, well not really.  It is extremely solid though and little, if anything will punch it off course.  Tomorrow I will be doing More twisties   so I will let you know how it corners and transitions from one turn to the next. 

Suspension is pretty darn good right off the bat in the lowest preload.  It might look at a little less compression damping or maybe a lighter fluid.  I plan on finding mixed surfaces tomorrow to test it a little better.

The rear foot peg mounts may need to be tweaked a little.  They tend to hit the inside of my heels when I stand on the balls of my feet.  I will pay closer attention to this tomorrow on dirt/gravel sections.

I have the tall screen and it is much more protection.  It is also pretty rigid but the air flow does hit me in the face.  If I duck about two inches it is quiet.  There is no buffeting though and I rode with my visor up to about 55mph.  After that I used the visor down method.  I will probably try a laminar lip to lift the air stream a little.

My wife asked me on the phone if it made me smile.  I said yes!
2010 FE570 Husaberg
2019 Alta Redshift EXR
2019 Alta Redshift EXR - clone
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Centenario
2024 Stelvio V100

Online Trialsman

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2019, 09:50:24 PM »
By the way Tee is arranging a demo ride at Team Charlotte but not confirmed date as of yet.  If I here I will pass it along.

Also after 460mi in the truck and another 150mi on the V85 I was very comfortable.
2010 FE570 Husaberg
2019 Alta Redshift EXR
2024 Stelvio V100

Online Trialsman

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2019, 07:05:33 AM »
I am going to move my comments to the V85 merged file where it is more appropriate.
2010 FE570 Husaberg
2019 Alta Redshift EXR
2024 Stelvio V100

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2019, 07:34:12 AM »
Was really hoping to get out to XPS this weekend, but had family visiting, and other obligations. Not interested in the V85 or V9 bobber, but would have been a fun time. I wonder if they are going to Arlington or Richmond?  I'd be surprised if they went to Arlington, that dealership really sucks.... Richmond is a great dealer and only 9 miles away.  Is there a website that lists the tour?
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Sykestone8886

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2019, 06:06:24 PM »
The demo guy was a pretty cool cat. Had a good conversation with him. Yep heading to Chicago for one more stop than back home to Santa Barbara Ca.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here