Author Topic: A Quiter Motorcycle - Redux  (Read 3577 times)

Offline swordds

• Hatchling
  • (504)234-9011
A Quiter Motorcycle - Redux
« on: January 21, 2016, 11:59:37 AM »
Using as sound level (dB) android app I measured the loudness of my 2016 MG V7II and my 2016 Suzuki TU250X yesterday. I took the measurements on a very quiet and little used asphalt road through a wildlife management area. The ambient noise level was 20 - 25 dB. At idle the V7II Stone measured 87 dB (which seems high so perhaps I somehow screwed that measurement up and will redo it later) and driving by on the street at speeds varying between 30 and 45 mph it measured 90 dB at the loudest point. As a person standing near the road as the motorcycle drove by it was not annoying or objectionable and though it had a subjectively lower tone it did not stand out as objectionable from other passing vehicles.  The Suzuki was substantially more quiet. At idle I recorded 79 dB and driving by on the street it measured 82 dB at the loudest.  Other vehicles (a few pickup trucks and cars) that happened to pass by measured between 82 and 90 dB.

I know this was not a great or definitive study but it satisfies my primary concern, I now feel that as I drive down quiet country lanes I am no louder or more annoying than other typical traffic. I would like my V7II to be as quiet as my smaller TU250X but I am not likely to do anything to try and make that happen.
2016 V7II Stone
2016 Suzuki TU250X (lost in the great flood of ought 16)

In the future I will strive to tolerate everything except intolerance and to hate nothing except hatred.

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: A Quiter Motorcycle - Redux
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 12:04:22 PM »
Interesting data - did you note measurements for placement of the meter relative to the measured bikes?

That's important if you or anyone else wish to take future measurements and compare to these results.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

canuguzzi

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 12:11:17 PM »
Sound is a very subjective issue. Even a quiet motorcycle bothers some people because they don't like motorcycles.

If you ask the straight through pipe ride if their bike is annoying, they will probably say no. Same with cars with mega speaker radios.

When it comes to motorcycle exhausts, common sense rules its just that loud pipes long ago drummed the common sense out of the owner so they have no idea that their bikes aren't just loud, they are obnoxious.

Offline swordds

• Hatchling
  • (504)234-9011
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 08:21:40 AM »
For measuring at idle I stood behind the bikes at about 45 degrees and about 3 ft behind the end of the exhaust pipes with the meter about waist height say 3.5 ft above the ground. For the drive by I stood right at the edge of the road so I guess I was about 5-6 ft from the bikes as they went past with the meter at the same height. The tires on some passing vehicles made more noise than the engines. The MG has a distinctive sound, I think blindfolded I would be able to guess that a motorcycle was passing by, not as quiet as my memories of BMWs from the past but not alarming or any more annoying than other vehicles and definitely not a throb I could feel or anything that made me want to protect my eardrums. If I could wave a magic wand to make the motorcycle as quiet as a Lexus I would (I know, then I  shouldn't have bought an MG but there is so much else to love about it), and if someone marketed aftermarket pipes (stealth pipes?) that claimed to reduce the noise by say 5 - 7 dB then I would consider buying them. Apparently not a large market for that!  Someone does however make an aftermarket quieter exhaust for ATVs. For me, the perfect motorcycle would be a Zero with a 250 - 300 mile range.
2016 V7II Stone

In the future I will strive to tolerate everything except intolerance and to hate nothing except hatred.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 08:21:40 AM »

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 09:10:20 AM »
Looks like your test method was close and your readings are probably fine from a legal standpoint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KdYUhH3JSo

How to Perform a SAE J2825 Motorcycle Sound Test

20" behind the pipe and a 45 degree angle

idle - 92 dba
2000 rpm - 96 dba

« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 09:10:33 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline swordds

• Hatchling
  • (504)234-9011
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 09:16:49 AM »
Does anyone care to do a similar BMW airhead comparison test?
2016 V7II Stone

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 01:14:10 PM »
Jay says he's already drained the carbs and fuel tanks on all of his for the winter, but maybe come spring if no one else has done it by then.

Would be interesting to add his and Cam's aftermarket pipe reading too.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Bonafide Bob

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 01:31:28 PM »
Does anyone care to do a similar BMW airhead comparison test?

You are welcome to test the sound of my BMW Airhead if you want to.
Bob
We have freedom of speech, as long as we don't say to much.

canuguzzi

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 01:38:05 PM »
That 250-300 mile range on a Zero or some other e-bike will be a reality very soon. Same with a 30 minute charge.

Offline RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 01:51:04 PM »
That 250-300 mile range on a Zero or some other e-bike will be a reality very soon. Same with a 30 minute charge.
You just keep telling yourself that and someday(long after you and I are both gone) it MAY happen. Photovoltaics will be close behind.
 Sorry but without huge subsidies it's just not economical for company's to produce small  quantity niche products that don't have proven, quality technology behind  them. Latest issue of American Motorcyclist proves the point.  Ben Rich's epic electric motorcycle tour wouldn't have been possible without modifying the stock setup. :popcorn:

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

canuguzzi

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 02:08:30 PM »
You just keep telling yourself that and someday(long after you and I are both gone) it MAY happen. Photovoltaics will be close behind.
 Sorry but without huge subsidies it's just not economical for company's to produce small  quantity niche products that don't have proven, quality technology behind  them. Latest issue of American Motorcyclist proves the point.  Ben Rich's epic electric motorcycle tour wouldn't have been possible without modifying the stock setup. :popcorn:

Paul B :boozing:

That is almost word for word what some others say, like clockwork right before it happens.

That was 2013.

Subsidies, you mean like ethanol?

Same things were said about:

Mobile phones
Computers
Craft beer brewers

And just about ever other technological advancement.

Zero started shipping in 2010. Bothered to look at what they are building these days?

Did you know that building an e-bike with a 300 mike range can be done right now and do you know what is holding it back?

Not subsidies
Not the battery technology, they have it already
Not any of the components used to build the bikes

It is the chargers. The batteries can already accept a charge to full in less than an hour. Far less. The chargers are lagging behind in development. That technology exists too, just some short time to get them in the pipe as demand for e-bikes increases.

When it comes to subsidies, look around, what isn't subsidized these days and if the choice is between subsidizing e-vehicles and ethanol production that choice is easy and it isn't going into turning food into alcohol.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 02:16:25 PM by Norge Pilot »

Offline RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2016, 02:37:15 PM »
 I must respectfully disagree on the weak link. Batteries are now and will be for quite a while the weak link. GM's Delphi division found this out in the 90's  while trying to produce a viable cell for their electric car that no one could buy only lease. They saw the writing on the wall and were not ready to spend billions on a niche market without proven technology.  Total electric has it's limits and everyone wants a eco friendly solution but it is still way way off in the USA.

Paul :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline swordds

• Hatchling
  • (504)234-9011
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2016, 03:40:27 PM »
Hi Bob, much too cold currently. Sunday or Monday look ideal. I did my tests on Bayou Paquet Rd. A nice ride if you haven't been on it. All it takes is a quick check at idle and then 4 drive by runs on any quiet road for comparative data, the less interfering traffic the better. Of course I  can meet anyplace anytime but I am cold natured and prefer to ride when the temperature is 45+ degrees.
2016 V7II Stone

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2016, 03:41:47 PM »
Jay says he's already drained the carbs and fuel tanks on all of his for the winter, but maybe come spring if no one else has done it by then.

Would be interesting to add his and Cam's aftermarket pipe reading too.

My V7 Special has stock exhaust, and my V7 Racer has Arrows on it, so, that would be two V7 data points plus Cam's Agostinis.   

Having ridden my airheads back to back with my V7's, I will say that the exhaust sound of both my V7's aren't really any louder than my R75/5.     I think that the induction sound of the 1TB V7 adds as much to the experience while riding as the exhaust sound does, possibly more as speeds increase and exhaust sound is largely behind you.

The character certainly is different due to the evenly spaced exhaust pulses of the boxer vs. the alternating short/long spacing of the 90 degree V-twin, which most everyone here (myself included) find more appealing.

I also have a 1992 R100R that has a factory two into one exhaust, which is deeper, and I think a little louder than the R75/5.   The additional displacement of the 980cc engine vs. the 750cc or the R75/5 might contribute to that as well.

I wouldn't think that any of these bikes would be found to be offensive by any reasonable bystanders as they go by.

2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline Bonafide Bob

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2016, 03:45:39 PM »
Hi Bob, much too cold currently. Sunday or Monday look ideal. I did my tests on Bayou Paquet Rd. A nice ride if you haven't been on it. All it takes is a quick check at idle and then 4 drive by runs on any quiet road for comparative data, the less interfering traffic the better. Of course I  can meet anyplace anytime but I am cold natured and prefer to ride when the temperature is 45+ degrees.

I work Mondays, Tuesday and Wednesdays any day other that those I am available. You have my cell number give a call and I will meet you.
Bob
We have freedom of speech, as long as we don't say to much.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here