Author Topic: New V7II Gearbox Oil Leak  (Read 7047 times)

Offline swordds

• Hatchling
  • (504)234-9011
New V7II Gearbox Oil Leak
« on: January 31, 2016, 07:05:27 PM »
I took my new (~2100 miles) V7II on the interstate today for the first time. The round trip was about 100 miles (Mandeville Louisiana to the Mockingbird Cafe in Bay St. Louis -highly recommended breakfast ride, I-10 has just been repaved from Slidell to the coast so it will never be smoother or cleaner - sorry for the digression). On the way back I ran the engine up to 6,500 rpm (also for the first time) and I just happened to pull over a few minutes after that and when I did I saw that my back wheel and tire and engine gearbox cover on the right side was covered with oil, apparently coming out of the gearbox breather valve.  I kept going about another 30 miles on the interstate and it didn't look any worse when I got home so I cleaned it all up but haven't had a chance to drive it since then and may not have a chance until Tuesday. For now I'm just considering it an Italian motorcycle anomaly, but I am curious if anyone else has had a similar experience with the gearbox breather or has other thoughts or suggestions.

Also, I saw a beautiful metallic green MG cafe racer custom looking motorcycle being driven along the lakefront in Mandeville this afternoon. I wasn't on my motorcycle and I wasn't able to flag them down but you don't see to many Moto Guzzis in this area.
2016 V7II Stone
2016 Suzuki TU250X (lost in the great flood of ought 16)

In the future I will strive to tolerate everything except intolerance and to hate nothing except hatred.

Offline Bradkap

• New Egg
Re: New V7II Gearbox Oil Leak
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 04:47:28 AM »
Sounds like exactly what my v7ii did Saturday. I had just returned from the first service.

Offline swordds

• Hatchling
  • (504)234-9011
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 05:17:45 AM »
Strange Italian motorcycles; maybe something to do with sunspots or the phase of the moon or maybe they are supposed to do that?  Anyway, I should be able to do another long ride on Tuesday but will probably stay below 6,000 rpm and will see if it does this again.
2016 V7II Stone

In the future I will strive to tolerate everything except intolerance and to hate nothing except hatred.

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 08:44:21 AM »
When you did the 600-mi service, how much oil did you put in the gearbox?  The 5-sp box requires 1000 mL whereas the 6-sp requires only 500 mL.  Someone who is accustomed to servicing the 5-sp could have made a mistake.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 08:44:21 AM »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 09:16:17 AM »
When you did the 600-mi service, how much oil did you put in the gearbox?  The 5-sp box requires 1000 mL whereas the 6-sp requires only 500 mL.  Someone who is accustomed to servicing the 5-sp could have made a mistake.

Certainly sounds over filled..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 09:22:56 AM »
THIS
NO longer can ride

Offline Bradkap

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 10:48:36 AM »
I will check with the dealer.  It does sound like it was over filled.  I had run it up to 6500-7000 rpm before the first service and never noticed any excess oil.

Offline swordds

• Hatchling
  • (504)234-9011
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 02:22:07 PM »
I had the service done by the dealer so I don't know how much oil was added.  If it leaks again I will politely suggest that perhaps it was over filled.  So far my experience is that service mechanics have no interest in customer's thoughts or suggestions and I can't say that I blame them because I am sure they know a lot more than I do. I don't normally rev the engine much over 5,500 rpm or 6,000 max so it may not happen again (hopefully).
2016 V7II Stone

Offline oldlegs

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 02:31:10 PM »
I don't understand why they do not have a level plug to make things easier on the 6 speed box. Steve.

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 04:27:09 PM »
If you need to tell your service person to put in 500 mL instead of 1000 mL, then you should probably also tell him/her that the specified oil for the 6-sp gearbox is SAE 75W-90, and not the SAE 85W-90 that was spec for the 5-sp.

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 05:01:08 PM »
I had the service done by the dealer so I don't know how much oil was added.  If it leaks again I will politely suggest that perhaps it was over filled.  So far my experience is that service mechanics have no interest in customer's thoughts or suggestions and I can't say that I blame them because I am sure they know a lot more than I do. I don't normally rev the engine much over 5,500 rpm or 6,000 max so it may not happen again (hopefully).
If it were my bike, I would drain the gearbox and precisely measure how much oil comes out.  If more than 500 mL comes out, you can verify or eliminate overfilling as the cause of the problem.
NO longer can ride

Offline DaSwami

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 11:56:09 PM »
Hi all,

V7II Special, first service, first ride after.....30 miles into the ride, tranny oil everywhere, the rear wheel, exhaust, brakes, crossover pipe, inside rear fender, etc.....

Had to ride it 100 miles until I got home, drained 750cc out, put 500cc back in, all good. 

Any chance it harmed the tranny?

pete roper

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 02:03:48 AM »
No, it won't of damaged anything.

Do they not have anybody in the workshop who can read?

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 07:03:54 AM »

This is similar to a comment I made a while ago that highly offended Mr. Roper, who thought it was directed at him.

I'll stand by my original comment, which was that mechanics tend to be better at wrenching than reading.  No offense intended!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 07:56:22 AM by sib »

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2017, 07:07:06 AM »

Do't assume they know more, and even if they did they may not always be as careful as they should.

Recent service on wife's (non Guzzi) bike with new tires, brake fluid change , had air in the front brake (we bled it) and 10 PSI below spec on rear tire.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2017, 08:11:06 AM »
Do't assume they know more, and even if they did they may not always be as careful as they should.

Recent service on wife's (non Guzzi) bike with new tires, brake fluid change , had air in the front brake (we bled it) and 10 PSI below spec on rear tire.

This.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

pete roper

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2017, 10:28:31 AM »
This is similar to a comment I made a while ago that highly offended Mr. Roper, who thought it was directed at him.

I'll stand by my original comment, which was that mechanics tend to be better at wrenching than reading.  No offense intended!

Proving once again you are a vacuous idiot. Well done.

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2017, 10:52:40 AM »
I had an old Jaguar once (a 1974 XJ 12L). It leaked a quart of oil a day. (It held 12 quarts of oil.) It was cheaper just to top it off every morning before driving rather than replace the rear main seal...
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2017, 11:05:21 AM »
Seems to me that a "mechanic" who doesn't know how much oil to add to a critically expensive mechanical component is hardly a good mechanic. 

This also makes me fear what happens when it finally sinks in that the newer bikes take 500 cc of gear oil.  Are we going to see a rash of earlier model Stones with severely underfilled transmissions?
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Online sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2017, 12:02:15 PM »
I don't understand why they do not have a level plug to make things easier on the 6 speed box. Steve.

Yep, a level plug would have prevented this problem, but I suspect some people might not use them.  They could simply add the amount of oil they think it needs.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Online Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2017, 12:02:56 PM »
two sad facts, they aren't smart enough to cast the CC's needed on the side of the housings, and they are too lazy at the importer to make a wall cheat sheet with the weight and type oil needed and amounts in both CC's and ounces. at least in the past there was a level plug.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2017, 03:58:18 PM »
Do'nt assume they know more, and even if they did they may not always be as careful as they should.

When I had my Honda GB400 it had a carb problem. Went back a total of four times under warranty. The last time I asked to see the mechanic and I told him what the problem would be. Sure enough it was, but even then he only did half the job. As soon as it was out of warranty I fixed the two remaining problems myself. :rolleyes:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline DaSwami

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2017, 05:28:18 PM »

The only beef I had was that I specifically mentioned this exact thing when I dropped the bike off...and it STILL happened  :violent1:

Also, the front brake reservoir was overfilled and was dripping brake fluid on my pretty tank when I had it on the sidestand.   :shocked:

Also, bike ran like crap. stumbled off idle and got poor mileage....I suspect tight valves

At any rate, dealer response was first class, offered to pick the bike up on their dime and drive it back.  They are currently getting the second go around on the bike, and will clean it up. 

I need this dealer to make the ownership experience a win-win, so I took the civil approach.  Service manager is a cool dude.  Can't wait to get my baby back and RIGHT!

Offline Zinfan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2017, 05:28:36 PM »
Seems to me that a "mechanic" who doesn't know how much oil to add to a critically expensive mechanical component is hardly a good mechanic. 

This also makes me fear what happens when it finally sinks in that the newer bikes take 500 cc of gear oil.  Are we going to see a rash of earlier model Stones with severely underfilled transmissions?

This would worry me if I ever took my V7 in for an oil change, we did hear about bikes that had 170 ml in the gear box due to the mechanic mixing up the transmission with the gear box capacities and I believe the gear box was toasted quite quickly.  To be fair I can never wrap my head around Guzzi's terminology for the parts transmission and gear box, they seem backwards to me and then I can't remember which is which, of course I do know which one gets 1.1 liters (extra 100cc per advice from here on WG and note it is the 5 speed not the 6 speed that takes 500 ml or so) and which gets 170 ml.

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2017, 06:49:22 AM »
Proving once again you are a vacuous idiot. Well done.
Seems like you're jealous of our Independence Day celebrations and just want to start a little fireworks.  Too bad all you illiterate former prison colony inmates have to celebrate is kiss-a-wallaby day. :cheesy:
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 07:56:37 AM by sib »

pete roper

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2017, 11:13:03 AM »
Ignorant of history as well! What a surprise!

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2017, 04:56:38 PM »
Ignorant of history as well! What a surprise!
Rats!  Educate me.  Maybe I can learn.  Which part did I get wrong?
1)  You antipodeans are illiterate.
2)  Your nation is a former prison colony.
3)  All you have to celebrate is kiss-a-wallaby day.

pete roper

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2017, 06:21:10 PM »
All three but never mind.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here