Author Topic: Paying Tolls?  (Read 5983 times)

Offline swordds

• Hatchling
  • (504)234-9011
Paying Tolls?
« on: March 15, 2016, 08:14:37 PM »
A silly question but perhaps someone has a very simple or elegant process. I occasionally cross the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway which has a $3.00 toll (by the way they charge by the number of axles so motorcycles pay as much as cars; I'm not sure if sidecar motorcycles pay even more?).  I  don't mind paying but when I stop at the toll booth window I invariably can not manage to get my money out of my jacket pocket with my gloves on. So I have to stop, put the bike in neutral, remove my glove, fumble in my pocket for the bills, then re-put-on my glove, and then drive off. This is awkward and slow and probably annoying to those in line behind me. I guess I could hold the money in my teeth as I drive to the toll booth but I don't find that appealing. I  can't think of any more convenient place to carry the money so it doesn't blow away as I drive to the bridge. I have a pre-pay tag for my car that is electronic but that goes in a pouch on the windshield and my motorcycle doesn't have a windshield. Any great or easy solution ideas?
2016 V7II Stone
2016 Suzuki TU250X (lost in the great flood of ought 16)

In the future I will strive to tolerate everything except intolerance and to hate nothing except hatred.

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Paying Tolls?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 08:16:27 PM »
Velcro it to yer lid man.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline MGPilot

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 08:21:29 PM »
Slide the folded bills under a chin strap?
2014 Morgan Three Wheeler

Offline swordds

• Hatchling
  • (504)234-9011
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 08:25:34 PM »
We have the toll tag, where do you stick the tag?  Velcro to your helmet? Seriously? You are kidding me right?  I might try under my chin strap.
2016 V7II Stone

In the future I will strive to tolerate everything except intolerance and to hate nothing except hatred.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 08:25:34 PM »

canuguzzi

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 08:30:50 PM »
Money grab SF uses cameras to record your plate number and they debit your toll fee account or mail you an invoice. No need to carry anything. They are experts at revenue collection.

In your case, why not put the toll thing in a breast pocket? If that doesn't work, Velcro a plastic pocket on one of your sleeves and give that a go.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 08:34:52 PM by Norge Pilot »

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 08:36:38 PM »
A couple three ideas come to mind:

Here in Houston we also have the EZ Tag system...my tag is beneath my seat and registers just fine so you may want to ask them or try it out as well.

Alternative #2:  Get a tank bag...keep the change in the clear plastic zipper pocket on the top of the tank bag

Alternative 3:  There are very small pocket bags made by MotoPocket, one of their options might work somewhere on the bike in the event #2 is not a viable option.

Here's a link:  http://adventurepockets.com/the-motopocket/

:thumb:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 08:46:29 PM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline fubar guzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 08:48:43 PM »
WELL YOU COULD DO LIKE ME-----PUT A PICTURE FROM PLAYBOY OVER YOUR PLATE AN GO LIKE HELL THROUGH THE GATE !!! iVE DONE IT, BUT IF IT DOESNT WORK FOR YOU IT WOULD BE A LOT OF FUN  :evil: iVE ONLY DONE IT ONCE BUT iVE NEVER HAD RECALL :copcar:

Offline swordds

• Hatchling
  • (504)234-9011
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 09:11:51 PM »
Must admit, I have no idea how the toll tag works. Because they give it to you in a clear plastic pouch that sticks to your windshield I assumed the "reader" device had to see the tag, but very possibly not. I will call the toll tag office to ask.

No chance of running the booth. Part of the reason for requiring the toll is that the Causeway has their own independent police department so it is insanely well patrolled. Within a hundred miles of where I live we have: state police (with airplanes, helicopters,  and patrol boats), a Parish (ie County) Sheriff (with helicopters and patrol boats and probably airplanes), a small town (Mandeville) police force, New Orleans Police, New Orleans Levee Board Police, Mississippi River Police, Causeway Police, Slidell Police, Covington Police, Wild Life and Fisheries "police", and probably others and each group has their own assorted assault weapons and capabilities and layer upon layer of associated redundant administrative and management requirements and costs. Sorry, personal peeve. Taxpayers want to save money, look at streamlining and reducing the number of independently operated law enforcement agenicies
2016 V7II Stone

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 09:12:36 PM »
At a convenient stop before the toll booth, put the money inside a glove.
 BTW , on the Tacoma narrows bridge about 8 years ago they charged me the three axle fee because of my sidecar.  I raised hell with the state agency that collects the tolls and they gave me a refund and told me it would not happen again.  I do note that right after that they raised the toll price for all cars to the same price that they charged me for three axles.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 09:20:47 PM »
That bridge is quite a piece of engineering marvel...at only $3 bucks, that's a pretty good deal for a toll considering what they charge on the Golden Gate!

I'll have to ride that one day just for the fun of it!
Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Online fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 09:37:28 PM »
if you had a Roadcrafter jacket it has a perfect pocket on the right forearm.. use left hand in (Roper) glove to unzip, grab money and hand it over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YytH5xNOID0
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline kirb

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 10:52:09 PM »
Chest pocket of your jacket should register the toll tag just fine. I can check mine when going through Chicago online to make sure it picked up all the freaking tolls on my way through.

I sent my mom an ipass for Christmas linked to my account. I forgot to wrap it in tinfoil and was able to see when the UPS truck drove through when reviewed online. They worked in a UPS semi, so I suspect they will be fine in a jacket.

canuguzzi

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 11:10:45 PM »
That bridge is quite a piece of engineering marvel...at only $3 bucks, that's a pretty good deal for a toll considering what they charge on the Golden Gate!

I'll have to ride that one day just for the fun of it!

For a special thrill do it when they compress one side from 4 lanes to 2 ( they move barriers with trucks that follow little blue squares painted on the road) .

If you want a picture of your crossing, no worries, they will send you a picture if you don't have an account. Nifty cameras they have.

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2016, 11:42:03 PM »
Might be a bit of pucker factor in that scenario!  Throw in a hurricane and it would be downright infernal!
Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2016, 12:12:11 AM »
When I pay a toll riding my bike.  I kill the engine, put it on the stand, take off my gloves, get my wallet and pay the toll.  Then I reverse the process and go on my way.

No need to rush it.  Stay cool, stay safe.   :thumb:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline MGPilot

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2016, 12:17:53 AM »
Around Seattle, you stick a transponder to the front of the headlight, near the bottom.
2014 Morgan Three Wheeler

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2016, 06:05:55 AM »
We discovered our tankbags have a little pocket at the front that works great-the jacket pocket didn't work for either of us.

Online lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2016, 07:24:55 AM »
 :1: Tank bag,   I had the same problems before I tried a tank bag, wouldn't be without one now. For some strange reason a lot of our toll plazas are on a slight grade, probably so water and ice don't accumulate , but makes it damn difficult to remove gloves,fumble through you pockets and cover the brake while balancing a 600lb. bike. My bag has a strap loop to unzip so no need to even remove a glove, it's very handy to use as a carry bag as well. It is also magnetic which is great if you have a metal tank, otherwise get one that latches on to your gas cap ring, you'll never go back.

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2016, 07:50:29 AM »
Money grab SF uses cameras to record your plate number and they debit your toll fee account or mail you an invoice. No need to carry anything. They are experts at revenue collection.

In your case, why not put the toll thing in a breast pocket? If that doesn't work, Velcro a plastic pocket on one of your sleeves and give that a go.

This. Up here in the midwest we've got the iPass (illinois) and the EzPass (Indiana, Ohio and others) I just have it in my breast pocket and the transponder, well, it transponds. Just roll in and wait for the gate to lift. Don't even stop rollin' mostly.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 07:50:58 AM by kidsmoke »
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2016, 07:53:14 AM »
When I pay a toll riding my bike.  I kill the engine, put it on the stand, take off my gloves, get my wallet and pay the toll.  Then I reverse the process and go on my way.

Take the toll money back, put your wallet away, put on your gloves, retract the stand, start the engine and go on your way.  Sounds like a good plan, and the toll money gets reused daily.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Guzzidad

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2016, 08:10:04 AM »
   I zip tied an eye glass case to the handle bars. Put a few bucks in there before you go out. Easy to flip it open and pay the toll. Also a good place to keep ear plugs.

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2016, 08:45:02 AM »
Getting caught by an exact change only toll can be a pain. At least in the borders of Kansas there is only one toll road and it is easily bypassed.
GliderJohn
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 09:46:06 AM by oldbike54 »
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2016, 09:07:17 AM »
Take the toll money back, put your wallet away, put on your gloves, retract the stand, start the engine and go on your way.  Sounds like a good plan, and the toll money gets reused daily.

You picked up the "Guzzi Content"    :grin:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Noguzznoglory

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2016, 07:22:37 PM »
When you replace your jacket look for one with a zipper pocket ion the outside of the sleeve. Very handy
93 750 Nighthawk
73 Honda CB350
73 Honda CL450
04 Breva 750
15 Norge
16 VERSYS 650

Offline swordds

• Hatchling
  • (504)234-9011
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2016, 08:02:41 PM »
I knew there must be an easier way, never would have guessed there were so many easier ways!  I  like the glasses case idea because I was thinking sometimes how nice it was having an open basket on a bicycle. Wouldn't work well at 60+ mph but a small easy to snap open pouch could be very nice.
2016 V7II Stone

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2016, 11:00:46 PM »
I have figured out a way to cross most Calif. toll bridges for free by car.  No, I'm not going to share it with you but it helps to be out of state.  :wink:
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 11:09:05 PM by Arizona Wayne »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here