Author Topic: Short Front Fenders?  (Read 1358 times)

Offline swordds

• Hatchling
  • (504)234-9011
Short Front Fenders?
« on: October 05, 2016, 07:11:31 AM »
Brought my V7-II in to the Pensacola BMW/MG/Indian/etc dealer for my 20km maintenance service. Looking around at the different motorcycles it seems like the front fenders are becoming shorter and shorter to the point that they are appearing almost useless, especially on the BMWs. This looks like a serious case of style overcoming function, especially on the water cooled motorcycles that place the radiator down low directly behind the rear wheel. What happens when you ride on wet dirty/muddy roads?  These must all be fair weather motorcycles meant for riding only on nice days?  Even on my 2016 V7-II I have had to add a leather Brooks bicycle mudflap to extend the front fender to keep the road grime off the engine case (looks and works great).  BTW, I looked long and hard at the BMWs and could not find one I would want to own. And the Indians were so huge (most BMWs also) that I felt like a flea on an elefant when I sat on them. To my eye and mind the Moto Guzzis were the best of the bunch, especially the Stenello.
2016 V7II Stone
2016 Suzuki TU250X (lost in the great flood of ought 16)

In the future I will strive to tolerate everything except intolerance and to hate nothing except hatred.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Re: Short Front Fenders?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 01:01:37 PM »
Yes.  Fenders are getting shorter because they look cool, and most people don't ride in wet or dirty conditions.  Heck, most owners don't ride much at all !!!

I guess there is a DOT minimum size, but it must be a pretty small spec.

First thing I did to my two Sportsters was put on the optional long fender.  I really liked the long California fender on my Bassa.  And, I really need to add a Fenda Extenda to my V7 Special!

I'll bet the Indian fenders work great in the rain!
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Penderic

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 01:23:57 PM »
Just a fad.

Eventually riders will need bigger fenders for the next fad.

Fender ornaments! Yay!  :boozing:

Till then, gotta find another good mounting spot for your bling.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 01:38:56 PM by Penderic »

Offline pikipiki

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 01:32:30 PM »
Bring back Spats!

« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 01:34:14 PM by pikipiki »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 01:32:30 PM »

Offline Carlo DeSantis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 01:43:42 PM »
Brought my V7-II in to the Pensacola BMW/MG/Indian/etc dealer for my 20km maintenance service. Looking around at the different motorcycles it seems like the front fenders are becoming shorter and shorter to the point that they are appearing almost useless, especially on the BMWs. This looks like a serious case of style overcoming function, especially on the water cooled motorcycles that place the radiator down low directly behind the rear wheel. What happens when you ride on wet dirty/muddy roads?  These must all be fair weather motorcycles meant for riding only on nice days?  Even on my 2016 V7-II I have had to add a leather Brooks bicycle mudflap to extend the front fender to keep the road grime off the engine case (looks and works great).  BTW, I looked long and hard at the BMWs and could not find one I would want to own. And the Indians were so huge (most BMWs also) that I felt like a flea on an elefant when I sat on them. To my eye and mind the Moto Guzzis were the best of the bunch, especially the Stenello.

In addition to a relatively short fender on my R1200R, there are two winglets mounted on the lower forks.  All designed to flow as much air as possible to the large oil cooler mounted low on the front of the engine.

And yes, the bike gets ridden in the rain and miscellaneous sloppy road conditions every now and again -- with no discernible problems.

FYI, my vote for best looking motorcycle goes to the Norge. 

Best,

Carlo
Chuck in Illinois
Crystal Lake, IL USA

'75 850 T3 Custom
'11 R1200R

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 03:11:56 PM »
DOT has specs for the number of degrees of tire circle covered and where the edges need to be.  I don't remember what they are, but they got pictures with circles and arrows and everything.  I looked it all over while I was building the trike and decided to buy rather than build fenders.

I thought the tiny fender look was part of the hipster thing -- you know -- like the tiny beards, tiny little hats, little sister's stretch pants, little topknots, etc.  I mean -- who wants to wear their pants two sizes too small and then run a big fender on their retro racer?

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here