Author Topic: V7-II Brake Help in New Orleans  (Read 1422 times)

Offline swordds

• Hatchling
  • (504)234-9011
V7-II Brake Help in New Orleans
« on: September 26, 2017, 04:50:27 PM »
I have a 2016 V7-II with 23,000 miles. My rear brake has started making a dragging/grinding noise and the disk is starting to look rough, like maybe a brake liner rivet has worn through. Obviously I am no mechanic but I love my motorcycle. Here is my question:  the nearest dealer where I have always brought it for service is 184 miles away and I have no access to a towing vehicle so is it reasonable for me just to bring it to any local shop (Suzuki, Harley, Honda, BMW/Triumph) for this?  My other alternative is to drive it the 184 miles, almost all Interstate, trying to avoid using the rear brake.
2016 V7II Stone
2016 Suzuki TU250X (lost in the great flood of ought 16)

In the future I will strive to tolerate everything except intolerance and to hate nothing except hatred.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: V7-II Brake Help in New Orleans
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 04:57:05 PM »
Assuming it's not a warranty issue, yes any decent dealer should be able to help you, especially a brand that also uses Brembo brakes.

You might also check closer yourself to see what it dragging. It could be as simple as a worn brake pad. Though I suspect the brake lining material on most bikes is all bonded and not riveted these days.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

pete roper

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 05:15:16 PM »
Once you're through the friction material it'll start grinding away the backing plate.

Now you've grooved the disc you'll need a new one of those too. Checking pad wear is in the same maintenance list as puting petrol in the tank and checking the engine oil level. Learn from the experience. Pads are cheap. Discs? Not so much.

Pete

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 06:55:08 PM »
Assuming you are somewhat mechanical inclined, change out the pads, it is a quick 15 mins job even if you take your time.

If not, yes, any local shop can deal with brake job. They are not bike specific...

All I hope now is you have not cut your disc yet...run your fingers thru your disc and see if there are any cut into it.

as Pete said, pads are cheap, but disc isn't.

and holy, 23,000 miles on the pads? I guess you don't use the rear as much eh...

« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 06:56:23 PM by TimmyTheHog »
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 06:55:08 PM »

pete roper

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 07:35:44 PM »
I very, very rarely use the back brake at all on any of my bikes. Only times it gets a look in are in emergencies and for steering in the tight stuff but since I'm now an arthritic old codge that happens less and less. My Griso is up to 115,000km plus now and it's still got the original, shitty, FF pads in the rear!

The fronts got changed to HH's early in the piece and I'm about at the end of the second set now, Michael was scolding me about it yesterday! :D I'm stupidly easy on brakes though, the 8V has such good engine braking that unless you're really pushing on you hardly need use them. When you DO need them I want them to bite and bite hard!

Pete

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 07:41:06 PM »
I very, very rarely use the back brake at all on any of my bikes. Only times it gets a look in are in emergencies and for steering in the tight stuff but since I'm now an arthritic old codge that happens less and less. My Griso is up to 115,000km plus now and it's still got the original, shitty, FF pads in the rear!

The fronts got changed to HH's early in the piece and I'm about at the end of the second set now, Michael was scolding me about it yesterday! :D I'm stupidly easy on brakes though, the 8V has such good engine braking that unless you're really pushing on you hardly need use them. When you DO need them I want them to bite and bite hard!

Pete

Well, I was taught to use both brakes, and have been doing so...

but I guess I know where you are coming from...

But ya, I am using more of engine brakes more than actual lever brakes...lol...some times I find guzzi brakes are there for decorations :P
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Offline Bonafide Bob

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 07:45:02 PM »
I have a 2016 V7-II with 23,000 miles. My rear brake has started making a dragging/grinding noise and the disk is starting to look rough, like maybe a brake liner rivet has worn through. Obviously I am no mechanic but I love my motorcycle. Here is my question:  the nearest dealer where I have always brought it for service is 184 miles away and I have no access to a towing vehicle so is it reasonable for me just to bring it to any local shop (Suzuki, Harley, Honda, BMW/Triumph) for this?  My other alternative is to drive it the 184 miles, almost all Interstate, trying to avoid using the rear brake.

I am just up the road from you and will be happy to help you change the brake pads, but I will be out of town until Monday. If you want some help let me know.
 Bob
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 07:54:07 PM by Bonafide Bob »
We have freedom of speech, as long as we don't say to much.

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Evil wins if Good Men do Nothing
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 10:35:24 PM »
Order some pads on line , they are easy to put on check utube for instructions .   

Rear brakes are only for decoration anyway (the only power they have is helping wear-out the rear tire).   So , just use your front brake and ride to your nearest shop ... Rear tire for pushing / Front tire for Stopping makes them both wear out at the same time  :grin:

2016 V7-II Stone
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor Stellar Blue

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 12:11:52 AM »

I am just up the road from you and will be happy to help you change the brake pads, but I will be out of town until Monday. If you want some help let me know.
 Bob

I'm nearby, too.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 04:09:53 AM »
If it's starting to grind, it's likely the pads are worn. My V7 Special wears the inside top out first. I can never reliably tell how much is left from the outside/back, I have to remove the caliper to see. 2 bolts & it's off. One indication of worn pads is the oil in the rear reservoir on MIN or less. If you haven't had too much grinding, the disc rotor may still be usable. The minimum wear spec is in the manuals. Note that I haven't yet found a source for new rear rotors for the V7, although there seems to be plenty of choice in the aftermarket for the front ones.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here