Author Topic: Noises from my 1200 Sport  (Read 671 times)

Offline swortsoul

• New Egg
Noises from my 1200 Sport
« on: November 16, 2017, 03:15:50 PM »
Hoping to get some thoughts on a couple noises from my 2008 1200 Sport with around 12k miles on it.

First is a clunk. It's not one that I've been able to find much info on. Basically, a second or two after I come to a stop and put it in neutral, it clunks. It "feels" to me like it's something in the transmission. I'm not talking putting it into 1st, or shifting into another gear. It's literally a second or two after I put it into neutral and have released the clutch. Any idea what's going on there?

Second is a squeal of some sort with the clutch. If I ride the clutch a bit, like if I'm in traffic and can't let it out fully, it will squeal. Normal starts it doesn't happen much because I won't be riding the clutch really at all. It also seems to happen more the longer I've been riding, like maybe it's heating up?

At least this isn't that dreaded "tick" like on my former V11. tick...tick...tick. ..boom, cry.  :cry:

Thanks for any help
Tim

Offline swortsoul

• New Egg
Re: Noises from my 1200 Sport
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 03:40:37 PM »
A bit of googling on the squeal turns up a lot of people saying to check the gearbox oil. I'll go ahead and change it out. Any other thoughts there?

Still not sure what that clunk is.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 04:46:59 PM »
A bit of googling on the squeal turns up a lot of people saying to check the gearbox oil. I'll go ahead and change it out. Any other thoughts there?
you do have a little free play at the clutch lever right? if not, worn throw out bearing?
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline swortsoul

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 04:59:18 PM »
I'll check when I go to ride home. I think there is, but I'm not sure I'd notice if that changed off hand.

I should also mention that the bike runs and rides fine. Neither of these noises affect riding at all. I'm just worried they are a sign of impending work. If so, I just need to know what to do.

Thanks

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 04:59:18 PM »

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 05:14:02 PM »
I hope it isn't anything other than some idiosyncrasy ...... Guzzis have a few of these.  My 2008 1200 Sport turned 66,300 miles toward the end of this riding season, and so far, only a few issues, the biggest being the failure of the LCD panel in the dashboard.  No mechanical issues to date, unless one would worry over final drive 'weeping' at the joint between the swingarm and final drive unit.  I'm used to that kind of stuff, having owned a 1991 BMW R100GS that weeps but doesn't drip.  Rather than worry, I clean it up a couple of times a year.

Bob
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 05:16:39 PM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here