Author Topic: Leading link front end  (Read 1124 times)

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
Leading link front end
« on: August 15, 2019, 10:18:01 AM »
Does any one have detailed plans for building a leading link front end? Searching the web for plans is about as successful as finding used leading links. I want to find or build leading links to install on my 03 EV. So far the ones I’ve found from builders cost more than the bike would sell for.  Any help or suggestions are welcome.
07 Norge, 05 Baby Breva, 04 Stone  Touring , 03 EV, 82 650 Maxim 79 XS750 Special 78XS1100 Teraplane side car

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Leading link front end
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 12:47:12 PM »
Good luck with that. When I built the Jack-All rig, I looked all over to no avail. I ended up (snapping suspenders) b bb buying  :evil:  :smiley: a Unit.
It wouldn't be rocket science to make one out of 4130, but you'd better have a good one to copy.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 01:48:19 PM »
You might post to see if anyone can contact RoadKill. He bought one, then modified it to work on his homebuilt trike. He is very handy, could probably build you a good front end, given the workspace and supplies. He dropped off the forum a few months ago.
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 03:18:06 PM »
I do remember roadkill posts about obtaining one for his project,I think he asked about one someone posted they had one and he didn’t hesitate. Last post from him I recall was him having trouble with the tranny on his way back from it’s maiden journey to Mn. Haven’t seen a post from him since he got back. I’ll see if I can pm him. Did the group piss him off or is he just that busy?
07 Norge, 05 Baby Breva, 04 Stone  Touring , 03 EV, 82 650 Maxim 79 XS750 Special 78XS1100 Teraplane side car

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 03:18:06 PM »

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 03:21:44 PM »
I do remember roadkill posts about obtaining one for his project,I think he asked about one someone posted they had one and he didn’t hesitate. Last post from him I recall was him having trouble with the tranny on his way back from it’s maiden journey to Mn. Haven’t seen a post from him since he got back. I’ll see if I can pm him. Did the group piss him off or is he just that busy?

No idea.
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 03:25:36 PM »
He got in a political discussion and was asked to leave..  :sad: but he knew the rules as well as anyone else.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline kirb

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 03:40:53 PM »
You can look at the hack sites...they use them for side car rigs
My excelsior henerson Super X has one...but it uses gas struts up front.

How about a girder? You can get new ones used on old Indians (leaf too!)

Offline acguzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2019, 10:56:13 AM »
Tony foale front end from my 79 lemans

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2019, 05:20:49 PM »
acguzzi thanks for the name I did some searches, must admit never heard of tony Foale, seems like he’s the guru of motorcycle frames and suspensions. A brief look at His web site lists books and links to videos, but no info about purchasing his manufactured front ends. Unless I’m wrong it looks like you may have a rare example of his intelligent design engineering experiments. How did you come into it? More importantly please let me know if you stumble across another for sale.Thanks for the lead.

https://motochassis.com/
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 05:23:54 PM by drdwb »

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2019, 05:25:29 PM »
I wonder how expensive a Ural front end is? Could be made to work most likely.
Charlie

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2019, 05:47:07 PM »
I see a couple Ural front ends on Flea bay, priced around $650.00. Caution is holding me back as they are being sold / shipped from Russia.

Offline acguzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2019, 06:38:03 PM »
I bought it from him in the early eighties, when I started racing I took it off, I really liked the handling, but the suspension adjustment was limited because of the shock placement. It has rebound adjustment but anything else is a rebuild. I dont think I'll use it again, where are you located?

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • N 44° 01.233 W 069° 41.267 ~ Midcoast, Maine USA
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2019, 07:14:05 AM »
Does any one have detailed plans for building a leading link front end? Searching the web for plans is about as successful as finding used leading links. I want to find or build leading links to install on my 03 EV. So far the ones I’ve found from builders cost more than the bike would sell for.  Any help or suggestions are welcome.

I should conclude that you are planning on a Hack or already have one on...? 

There are seemingly more simple fixes in the Raked Triple Trees that increase the trail in the same manner that a Leading Link does.  I say seemingly, I do not know any other details like whether you need longer fork tubes etc.

I cannot find the brand that I had been thinking of but perhaps someone will chime in.

I did find these from DMC (no connection etc)  They even have a listing for the Guzzi EV.

https://www.dmcsidecars.com/triple-trees/triple-trees-for-three-wheels/

Might be worth a look-see.

Best,
Rob

And just to tease...

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Triumph T140V Bonneville
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

The Journey is the Reward

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here