Author Topic: To MGNOC, or not to MGNOC, the threadfest  (Read 128723 times)

swalker

To MGNOC, or not to MGNOC, the threadfest
« on: May 08, 2011, 08:54:57 PM »
Should we try and support the MGNOC or set back and watch it go away?  It is my source for all Guzzi content and rallies, etc. so I support the MGNOC... Even if I get this information online....I mean really, I hear about book sales down because of e-books now  and music sales down because of people getting music free off the net...Our old ways we learned these things seem to be gone. This new technology seems to cause the older people to argue...Some wanted the online version, others didn't...Naturally those with no computer skills would like a paper to show up in the mail... Its not a complaint for me cause I am on a computer. I enjoy the MGNOC, the Newsletter and the opportunity to see where the rallies are so I can maybe attend and spend a weekend with some of my good buddies...And an opportunity to meet some new ones that just might keep our club alive. Dean Yotter from Leoti Kansas got us started in this club and although Dean passed away and is no longer riding with me, I can assure you he would want me to support our club. Long live the Moto Guzzi and the MGNOC. ;-T

Steve Walker
Arkansas Rep

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
Re: To MGNOC, or not to MGNOC, the threadfest
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 09:09:14 PM »
This is interesting.  I just posted something relevant to this topic on another current thread.

Has anyone thought or tried to create a genuine and active Guzzi owners club in the US. No disrespect for past efforts but the current "club" seems virtually defunct.  I think the biggest problem is that it is "owned" and operated solely by one man apparently.

swalker

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 09:13:39 PM »
I don't know...Are offering? I myself wouldn't trade Frank...Especially when it comes to trying to please everyone... Just my thoughts...

Offline guzzigarage

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 09:14:43 PM »
yeah steve    LONG LIVE THE MGNOC!!!!!
joe casey western ny mgnoc rep

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 09:14:43 PM »

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 09:17:32 PM »
The "new club" is in effect when you make a contribution to the existing club
 http://www.mgnoc.com/staff_and_reps.html
The folks listed on the link above have solicited ideas and new contributions from those members in the shadows.  The sand box is big, jump in!
The current club works fine for me.....I participate.

Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 09:20:21 PM »
Well, then all is good !    Amen !   Throw-in a hallelujah while you're at it !

Offline HDGoose

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 09:29:03 PM »

Good. So...what are you going to do for your local MGNOC group? Will you coordinate a rally? Campout? Lunch? Dinner? Ride?

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 09:32:26 PM »
Umm, we do that every Saturday !  When are you coming to join us and participate !? 

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 09:38:49 PM »

It's not good if you're not "feeling the love".  Please share you ideas!  We're the soul of MGNOC.
It's our ideas that keep it running.  It's up to me to keep the torch lit in my state with the help of other owners to keep the excitement going here.  If you're waiting for Moto Guzzi Corporate to participate .......we've been waiting since 1921.
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 09:40:49 PM »
The three really successful owners clubs that I can think of are wholly owned by thier brands:

HOG, Harley Owners Group.   http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Content/Pages/HOG/HOG.html

RAT, Riders Association of Triumph.   http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/ratHome.aspx

BMW MOA, BMW Motorcycle Owners America.   http://www.bmwmoa.org/

Good or bad, MGNOC is something completely different.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

DanR

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 09:48:50 PM »
Well Leafman, I have organized 5 or 6 events and I still haven't met you, there are 2 coming up, maybe you will make the Panhandle Rally this year organized by the North Florida Rep Jim DeGregoria, haven't seen you there neither come to think of it..

http://florida.mgnoc.com/index.html

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 10:09:30 PM »
Hoping to make it there, Dan.  I've been all around you.  I was at Daytona Bike Week several days but too late for the Pantheon thing (work issues delayed my trip).  Ive also been to a couple of BMW rallies around you, Venice and Starke.

As Ive said, I am not as dyed-in-the-wool Guzzi as some of you but I do like them and Ive owned several.  I recently sold my Daytona, my Scura and my 850GT,  but I may likely end up on a Stelvio this year.

I was only asking about prospects for the national club.  I am a member of several national owners groups and Ive been to several Guzzi national rallies, the Malibu rally being the last.  I do not think Mr. Wedge even attended that one.

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 10:42:20 PM »
Ive also been to a couple of BMW rallies around you, Venice and Starke.

As Ive said, I am not as dyed-in-the-wool Guzzi as some of you but I do like them

Therein is the current MGNOC problem.  Wildguzzi says it's not part of MGNOC.  Fine, but anyone who wants to can find here where to go if they want to join a MGNOC event.

I know of another MC club that if you aren't a member of the club and want to go to 1 of their events, you have to 1st join the club, otherwise you are not welcome.  Subsequently I have never been to an event of that club, even tho I have a bike to qualify.

It's amazing how many non-commited internet participants think they know how to do a better job, but never prove it by their own participation in what has to be done to pull off an event. Instead, since many have no personal experience doing such, they're still full of ideas of doing it better. There's an old saying..........tal k is cheap.  Either put up or shut up.   ;)

It used to be only die-hard Guzzisti were in the MGNOC.  It's no longer that way(or is it?).  :'(  What is happening in the MGNOC right now is the results of that, IMHO.

I'm not a Guzzisti, I'm a MC enthusiast that happens to own a Guzzi too.   ???   Look at all the non-Guzzi bikes that are routinely discusssed here now.   :D

incoming........... ....
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 11:05:56 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline racergary

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2011, 10:46:34 PM »
    I believe that when Frank didn't attend the Malibu that was his first non attendance for a National.

I consider MGNOC is the mothership,many States have State Reps and if a rider from an area want more events etc they could always offer to help the Rep get things done.

I plan to continue to support MGNOC as well as several other non motorcycle groups I have a common interest with.

MGNOC #4
lifetime #67

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 06:36:11 AM »
The home of MGNOC, Larned Kansas, population 4,054.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 08:44:43 AM by Dean Rose »
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

DanR

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 07:23:07 AM »
There fixed it for you Dean !

nilknarf

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 07:37:03 AM »
There fixed it for you Dean !

**C What's with all those cars ? I thought everyone in Learned rode a Guzzi !  ;D Dan you should have put a few Guzzi's on the street to enliven the local ambiance. ::)

**C Dave  ;-T

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2011, 08:03:01 AM »
Umm, I think it's Larned.  "Lerned" is what people wanna be once they are educated and it's spelled "learned."

Looks bigger than 4000 people too.

Online pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2011, 08:25:16 AM »
The home of MGNOC, Lerned Kansas, population 4,054.

Make that "The CURRENT home...".  I believe Frank lived in Manhattan, KS when he started MGNOC and then moved to  Sylvan Grove, KS for several years.  I didn't join until the Sylvan Grove days and attended two National rallies there.  Beautiful little town makes Larned look like Metropolis or Gotham City.

Patrick  Hayes
Fremont CA

Carl Allison

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2011, 08:35:30 AM »
MGNOC doesn't have a forum that I'm aware of nor any manpower to support one. Wild Guzzi fulfills that need without any real agenda. It doesn't take Guzzi owner long to find the MGNOC web site and look up rallies plus many MGNOC functions seems to get covered here so I think there's a good synergy between the two.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2011, 08:37:51 AM »
The three really successful owners clubs that I can think of are wholly owned by thier brands:

HOG, Harley Owners Group.   http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Content/Pages/HOG/HOG.html

I don't think BMW MOA is owned or run by BMW, at least they were independant when I was a member.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2011, 08:45:55 AM »
Umm, I think it's Larned.  "Lerned" is what people wanna be once they are educated and it's spelled "learned."

Corrected, thanks.

Director, Editor
Frank D. Wedge
P.O. Box 3
Larned, Kansas 67550-0003

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 

nilknarf

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2011, 09:44:14 AM »

**C Actually if they were "learned" in Larned they'd all be riding Guzzi's.  ::) Pardon my typo's. Only had one cup of coffee when I wrote that. ;D

**C Dave  ;-T

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2011, 10:24:40 AM »

Corrected, thanks.

Director, Editor
Frank D. Wedge
P.O. Box 3
Larned, Kansas 67550-0003

Dean

Wasnt being smart or sarcastic.  Just making a note.  Its easy to misspefl.  I di it all thw timv. 

Offline Carlo DeSantis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2011, 10:41:48 AM »

I don't think BMW MOA is owned or run by BMW, at least they were independant when I was a member.

True -- no BMW corporate ownership of the BMW MOA.  In addition, there is another major national BMW club: BMW Rider Association (BMWRA).  It is significantly smaller than the BMW MOA and is focused slightly differently.  Many BMW riders belong to both clubs.  I'd say the BMWRA is closer to the reality of MGNOC than BMW MOA, and I think many MGNOC members would feel comfortable with the RA.  As I said, smaller; also less glossy; more issue-driven; more old-school riders as a percentage of total membership.

For the record, I consider myself an old-school rider and a member of both MOA and RA -- even though I don't have any Beemers in the garage at the moment :)

Carlo
Chuck in Illinois
Crystal Lake, IL USA

'75 850 T3 Custom
'11 R1200R

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2011, 11:34:22 AM »
Hey Leaf, There is no MGNOC Rep for Bama, just if you are interested.    There are more than a few Guzzis over there.

Supporting MGNOC & Franks efforts since 1980

What ever happened to the World Guzzi Club in the USA,  non supported here unless you go there.     
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2011, 12:48:15 PM »
Hey Leaf, There is no MGNOC Rep for Bama, just if you are interested.    There are more than a few Guzzis over there.

Supporting MGNOC & Franks efforts since 1980

What ever happened to the World Guzzi Club in the USA,  non supported here unless you go there.     

I spoke to Frank about it years ago, he literally said screw them. If you'll look we are probably the only major country not represented.

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2011, 01:28:24 PM »
How many current members does MGNOC have?

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2011, 04:29:25 PM »
The way I see it, there is a real problem facing the club right now.  I believe there is a small report from Frank in the April issue that states membership numbers had tumbled dramatically over the past few years,from there highs of the late 90s.   However, he said that just over the last few months the number of memberships have been climbing, still a long way from the high water mark, but headed in the right direction.   That's great for the club, and I hope it continues, but I fear it won't.

Not having a paper issue has and does turn off a lot of people, I don't like it either, but I do understand the thinking behind it.  Now at the risk of getting flamed by the faithful, ( I have noticed in the past anyone who dares to criticize the club gets jumped on hard by those who feel it's sacrilegious to do so) I'm going to address what I feel that real problem is.

What does a prospective new member get out of a membership?  He gets an on line monthly mag that on occasion is pretty weak on content (and yes I have contributed at least two articles to the MGNOC over the years of my membership).   A couple stickers, and the best part as I see it, the knowing that he is supporting the brand and people who share a passion for these wonderfull bikes.   That is it.    I'm a member primarily for the last reason.   I don't read the digital mag very closely, I'll scan it for anything that looks interesting, but I certainly don't read it cover to cover like I used to when it came in the mail.    I think that's a big problem.   There are a lot of folks who are just going to say, "it's not worth it, I don't get anything tangible from a membership".    A person can find out where all the Guzzi gatherings and rallies are without being a member.   I personally know several guys who used to be MGNOC members but who have let their memberships laps because they said to me, "why should I?", or "yea, I probably should be a member again, but you know now that there is no magazine, why spend the money?

I'm not saying that  this perspective is right or wrong, I am saying that I think it is and will be the opinion of many current and potential members unless something is changed.   I bring this up, because I don't want to see the club fade away.   I  think Frank needs to figure out a way to offer more to the club members if he wants to keep it viable.   And before someone pokes me in the eye and says, "well if you are so dam smart bad Chad, what's your great idea?"   I don't have one, I wish I did, I'd share it with Frank if I could.   But pretending that all is great with the club and always will be is in my opinion burying ones head in the sand.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2011, 05:06:11 PM »
Frank could and I'm glad he doesn't.  Ask the state reps. and the sponsors of any MGNOC related activities to charge more for rally fees.

The Wildgoose Forum is the official sanctioned website for the MGNOC.  Frank told Luap or Luap told Frank that the forum would work and link it through the MGNOC website.  IIRC Anyone can correct me if they want to.

I'd be the rep. for Hawaii but if I put one a rally it'd be in my garage or yard with me looking in the mirror and what fun would that be?  I'd rather be melting rubber off the tires in the mountains. ;-T ;-T ;-T ;-T  :-* :-* :-* :-*

I know MGNOC members that aren't forum members.  I know Guzzi owners that are neither.  I know motorcycle owners that aren't AMA members.  Will the sky fall?  Hardly but it does depend on the members and their participation.  It is voluntary.  One of the biggest unwritten benefit that still isn't mentioned. 

Most MGNOC members will open their doors to you without hesitation.  When I buy or sell  a bike which is seldom.  I'm more secure in dealing with a club member than I would be of a total stranger.  I've done fly-n-rides w/o knowing the seller but because of the club membership I've had instant friends.  I'm hesitant to be as open with non-club members when they come to Hawaii.  If I get an email that they're coming here.  If I don't know you I ask if you're a member. 

A Daytona RS ride in the mountains in Hawaii at speed.  That cannot be purchased by a non-member.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here