Author Topic: Best Place to Retire  (Read 59024 times)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Best Place to Retire
« Reply #180 on: February 06, 2015, 10:46:11 AM »
ok, if this is the way we are going:
maybe you can retire at Bruges, where I live  ;)
https://bezoekers.brugge.be/en

It's tempting, but how possible is it?

Once we Americans have done all the things we like that only Americans can do (hunt and fish for free at our back doors, shoot targets with our FN FALs, ride thousands of miles in a straight line and not have to speak a different language, and like that), and would like to start to ease back a little bit and do European things (sit at a cafe on a thousand-year-old street by a canal sipping on an excellent beer talking with people from all over the world, immerse ourselves in history, drive really great cars that we can't get here, ride clean trains everywhere on the continent, get health care that someone else paid for, and all the other things that frans does that I can't do in Virginia) .....

.... we generally find out that we can't afford to do it!   I've mapped out the possibility of retiring to a Kentish village in a thatched cottage, and a retirement income that covers my expenses, taxes, etc on a 200 acre Virginia farm for the rest of my life won't come close in a typical European city.

Or so I think.   I'm perfectly willing to be set straight!   Why don't more Americans reverse the direction their ancestors came from and go back to "the old country" to retire?

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Cheese

« Reply #181 on: February 06, 2015, 10:54:05 AM »

Once we Americans have done all the things we like that only Americans can do (hunt and fish for free at our back doors, shoot targets with our FN FALs, ride thousands of miles in a straight line and not have to speak a different language, and like that), and would like to start to ease back a little bit and do European things (sit at a cafe on a thousand-year-old street by a canal sipping on an excellent beer talking with people from all over the world, immerse ourselves in history, drive really great cars that we can't get here, ride clean trains everywhere on the continent, get health care that someone else paid for, and all the other things that frans does that I can't do in Virginia) .....

.... we generally find out that we can't afford to do it!   I've mapped out the possibility of retiring to a Kentish village in a thatched cottage, and a retirement income that covers my expenses, taxes, etc on a 200 acre Virginia farm for the rest of my life won't come close in a typical European city.

Or so I think.   I'm perfectly willing to be set straight!   Why don't more Americans reverse the direction their ancestors came from and go back to "the old country" to retire?

Lannis

Many people I know have retired to the olde country. Typically, Poland, Greece and Italy. Yankee dollar very strong right now..

lucydad

« Reply #182 on: February 06, 2015, 10:55:37 AM »
All,

Good discussion, thanks to all for insights and thoughts comparative to my own.

If it was just me:  retirement would likely be Rio Rancho, NM (burb of Albuquerque, NM).  Why?   Great climate, close to a big enough city for medical and services and restaurants, reasonable housing.  There are four seasons, but not a brutal winter.  Just about a four hour drive north is home town of Durango, CO and our cabin in San Juan County.   NM has incredible culture, scenery, camping and chilis.  I could explore on a motorcycle to my heart's content.  Blue skies and clean air and dry climate with lots of desert and mountains.  Add in the Indian tribal culture as a big plus and Santa Fe opera and art scene.  

Unfortunately my wife is from TEXAS.  She hates NM as a cultural bias.  So she will "win" and eventually we will compromise somewhere in the Hill country of TEXAS.  Some town near either Austin or San Antonio, but not in the middle of those zones.  I want a bit of space and a 3 car garage and room for our stuff and a house suitable for empty nesters.  A bit of running water would be nice too, and oaks.  

With a nine year age difference though she has told me even if I do retire soon (and it will be either later in 2015, or by mid-2016)  she wants to stay here in Sugar Land, TX near Houston.  She has her work, friends, etc and is happy and not ready.  I get that and marriage is a compromise.  How long?  Maybe 3 years more?  Hard to say.  

An option is to sell this big house great for a big family and find one that is for empty nesters.  But only AFTER I retire as the commute is a huge issue.  Location would remain Ft. Bend county though.  Don't know if I want to go thru the sell/buy/move process though.  Is it worth it for a few years?  Dunno.

Then there are the daughters and where they live.  One in NYC now, other about to graduate from college and goes ???  My view is close is nice, but that is dicey as likely both will move a lot.  That is why airplanes were invented.  

Other places that come to mind:  man I love the southeast Coast of NC, SC.  Have seen pix of NC mountains:  wow.  Could be a great solution particularly if daughters end up in NYC long term.  Wife though with huge family in TEXAS--bias to stay in this state.

So, there it is.  Have today off and its going to warm up so poodles will get walk and bicycle a run.  No sun yet.  Saturday it is supposed to be 74F and sun so it will be a long ride on the Guzzi, repeat Sunday.  One of these days every day will be like a weekend and no more work, Mr. Boss, Mr. Donut the do nothing geologist, no more increasingly difficult and stressful Houston commutes, and no more oil bidness and futility

kirby1923

« Reply #183 on: February 06, 2015, 11:48:06 AM »

Lannis

The following is in no way trying to promote living ex pat. I will continue to go back and forth and eventually stick some where, having said that there is no place like home and we all tend to head that direction sooner or later.

I guess there is no one answer why folks don't "go back to the old country". (for lack of a better way to describe it)

The life style in Europe for an example differs significantly form the States and has to sorta grow on you. It takes time to get used to not being able to pop down to the local Walmart or super grocery store in your family vehicle and pick up what you need. Its more relaxed in many ways. In the states everybody expects to get what they need quick, like fast food, if you have wait more than 5 min. then that is unacceptable. We are used to getting it NOW. People don't even like having to get out of their car and use the drive thru?? This is a mystery to most Europeans where taking an hour for lunch or 2/3 hours for dinner is the norm( at least where I am in Paris.)

As for cost...well fuel on the continent is around 1.80 euro a liter. You learn to use the metro in the city. If you go to the fresh markets in Paris you can buy wonderful food at reasonable cost, but when I go down to the Bastille market its a 30 min metro ride and about 20 min walk ONE way and on the return I have quite a load to deal with but that is normal here. The alternatives would be a local (to my apartment) mom and pop store ( which is similar to say a non chain store in the States)

Housing. I bought my apartment 15 years ago. Its 1500 sq ft one bedroom and bath with a balcony and great kitchen with a garage and a cave (storage in the basement) third floor. It located in the 5 distritct (left bank) and I am about 30 walk from the river. (Notre Dame etc.) To rent such a place would be around 3,000 euros/month + utilities, so about like in SF or NY.

Now out in the country side much,much cheaper the further you go out from the city. Right now in Spain you can make fantastic deals on country places if you have the cash. It would be comparable to Mexico for living expenses but would be Spartan to the State side amities.

I am rambling so I will quit, but living "over there" is not for somebody that thinks they will instantly like it and what I have posted is over simplified for sure. A complicated situation and people tend to go with what they know. The ex pats I have met in Europe either have large family ties or have worked for a company that took them someplace long enough for it to be home.

I like the life style.

One of the great things about the USA..we have a bill of rights .

FWIW
mike :-)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #183 on: February 06, 2015, 11:48:06 AM »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #184 on: February 06, 2015, 12:01:18 PM »
The following is in no way trying to promote living ex pat. I will continue to go back and forth and eventually stick some where, having said that there is no place like home and we all tend to head that direction sooner or later.

I guess there is no one answer why folks don't "go back to the old country". (for lack of a better way to describe it)

The life style in Europe for an example differs significantly form the States and has to sorta grow on you.
I like the life style.

One of the great things about the USA..we have a bill of rights .

FWIW

I probably would like the life style too, based on the things you've mentioned.   

I hate WalMarts and fast food places and I don't go in them.   I'm getting to be more of a "locavore" and try to buy fresh and locally all I can (which isn't much but you can get your beef and eggs and such that way).   I don't use "drive-thru" anythings.   My "fleet" MPG averages over 40 (bikes and Festiva) so $10/gallon gas wouldn't be a deal-stopper.  I don't like the uncontrolled growth of strip malls and cookie-cutter neighborhoods full of SUVs and soccer moms, which means, I suppose, that I sort of like the kind of "government intrusion" that keeps developers from trashing up the countryside for money.

I'm not sure how I'd like living without a Bill of Rights, but I'd have to evaluate that and see if I could stand it if I ever considered an ex-pat retirement.   

Who knows ... like the Ferrari owner in "Gumball Rally" ....   "AAAY, you make a good Italian!"   :D   :D   :D 

Lannis

kirby1923

« Reply #185 on: February 06, 2015, 12:08:44 PM »
I don't know of course, but my guess would be that you would really take to it..like I did.

All my family have visited  and they usually said..its different!?( didn't want to insult my choices).

'nuff said.

oldbike54

« Reply #186 on: February 06, 2015, 12:11:23 PM »
I don't know of course, but my guess would be that you would really take to it..like I did.

All my family have visited  and they usually said..its different!?( didn't want to insult my choices).

'nuff said.

Is good Mexican food available in Paris ? ;D

Dusty

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #187 on: February 06, 2015, 12:16:42 PM »

Dusty

Well, you would think it would be ... they're supposed to be very cosmopolitan and worldly-wise and diverse and all like that ....

"Jean-Luc Gonzales' House of Quiche Lorraine and Tamale Blaster", you'd guess it might be very popular.

Lannis

kirby1923

« Reply #188 on: February 06, 2015, 12:21:28 PM »

Dusty

"ANYTHING" is available in Paris!!

:-)

oldbike54

« Reply #189 on: February 06, 2015, 12:25:16 PM »
"ANYTHING" is available in Paris!!

Catfish and hushpuppies ? :D Hmm , is there a market ? ::)

Dusty

kirby1923

« Reply #190 on: February 06, 2015, 12:51:45 PM »
Catfish and hushpuppies ? :D Hmm , is there a market ? ::)

Dusty

Don't forget the FROG legs (no pun)!!!

Offline GearheadGrrrl

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #191 on: February 06, 2015, 01:26:45 PM »
South Florida is nice to visit in the winter, but the rest of the year? Temps AND humidity in the 90s, too much traffic, no trespassing signs on what look like public roads, and 80 year olds with 20/80 vision in the good eye driving 80 plus on the interstate!
Guzzi: Quota with Motorvation 'hack
BMWs: F800S, R100GS, R80ST with Motorvation Spyder 'hack, R65LS
Hacks: Motovation Spyder and Formula II
Buell: M2L, RIP Buell Motors Corporation
Yamaha: MX250 $25 auction find, "static display" for now, XS650 "on loan" from my brother, 'nother "static displa

Offline jcctx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #192 on: February 06, 2015, 02:27:38 PM »
South Florida is nice to visit in the winter, but the rest of the year? Temps AND humidity in the 90s, too much traffic, no trespassing signs on what look like public roads, and 80 year olds with 20/80 vision in the good eye driving 80 plus on the interstate!

I resemble dat

Offline donn

• Gaggle Hero
  • The thing is, I do want a pickle.
« Reply #193 on: February 06, 2015, 03:13:51 PM »

Tehachapi, CA?  (Looks like your profile has gotten out of date.)

Do you speak French well enough to hang with your neighbors?

Offline Mike E

• New Egg
« Reply #194 on: February 07, 2015, 09:45:40 AM »
fotoguzzi your youtube videos are masterful. You are truly skilled in video media. Sitting here looking out the window at snow piles I got my MC fix vicariously. I have been to Grand Marais a few times, fished Pigeon River Flowage. Wouldn't mind spending more time in the land of 10,000 lakes.

Mike Ehrhardt
Lisle IL

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here