Author Topic: Anyone using Windows 10?  (Read 59104 times)

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Anyone using Windows 10?
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2015, 02:20:13 AM »
Charly, it was just reported that several SONY machines have driver problems with Win 10 and will not be successfully updated for two months or so.

Todd, I also wait for Win 10 mobile. But it is interesting how similar Windowsphone 8.1 is to Win10.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 02:21:48 AM by fossil »
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

guzzimike

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2015, 09:56:11 AM »
Win 10 suxx donkey dixx...

Everything is slower, and if I get on one of my long term sites ( such as this one ) and follow any thread for longer than 3 -4 minutes, the site often freezes and up pops the "Recover"  prompt. When I hit that, I have a 50 /50 chance that it will reload the page, or kick me out completely...as in out to my Home Page.

Also it seems to take longer to load pages with adverts and often gets stuck there too...

Yeah, everything takes longer.

One positive to take from all this is that I am online quite a bit less, because I am tired of waiting for the system to do its thing.

Lately, if my patience is tested beyond my existing tolerances,  I just say "Fukk it" , turn the computer OFF and go do something else.

And that's my take on Win 10.

-

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2015, 10:12:59 AM »
I guess I don't see that cause I still use Firefox on Win10.

Thanks Thorsten.  I'll try my Sony again in a few more months.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Bill N

• Gosling
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2015, 03:16:28 PM »
Installed it last night. It's fast. I like it. 

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2015, 03:16:28 PM »

Kentktk

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2015, 04:32:33 PM »
Win 10 suxx donkey dixx...

And that's my take on Win 10.

-

Did you really expect something that works. At least it`s free so you can put it were all MS products should be.......the dump.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2015, 04:50:07 PM »
Did you really expect something that works. At least it`s free so you can put it were all MS products should be.......the dump.

It's still better quality than your comments.   :rolleyes:

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2015, 04:55:09 PM »

That's OK.  It can join my old mac laptop and ipad.  :)
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

canuguzzi

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2015, 05:46:57 PM »

Most people who install Windows 10 will like it and it will work just fine for them.

No worries about the MS bashers, they've got the new Cook sponsored ultra low flow shower heads hooked up to their iPads. Explains the smell and the very dark looflah.

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2015, 05:56:00 PM »

A broken Windows device is still more productive that any Apple product I have ever seen.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2015, 07:28:46 PM »
I have been quite productive using each of the following platforms or operating systems:
  • System 36/38/360 and their successors (through AS/400, iSeries, and so on)
  • OS/390 and the zSeries successors (thanks to my PROFS)
  • Sinclair, Altair, and the other Zilog era devices
  • Star series Xerox networked computers
  • Lisa, Mac and so on
  • DOS
  • PDP
  • Windows from version 1.03 through current
  • GEM
  • OS/2
  • UNIX, POSIX, LINUX, and any other NIX you might name
  • Tandem and other specialized high availability systems
  • Various SCADA systems and other purpose-built or highly tailored systems

But after all, the real point is not that there is a right system - there is always more than one that can do the job - the trick is picking the best system for that requirement, and that customer, at that time. I really can't get into all the OS and platform religion.

Then again, I'm a Unitarian-Universalist!  :grin:
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2015, 07:37:32 PM »
I did quite a bit with IBM system 36/AS400 DEC and PDP11 back in the day.  Before that it was Honeywell, IBM, GE6 and Sperry mainframes.  For me the personal computer is a recent thing.  Remembering the big iron of yesteryear, the mindlessness of modern computing is both amusing and sad.

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2015, 07:50:35 PM »
I started developing software and hardware on PDP-8s, and Intel 4004s.

GEM

I thought I was the only nut case to use that system.

And you forgot CPM and MPM. (insert beer icon here)

And there is my first glitch with Win 10 and the Edge explorer (which works well IMHO). Clicking on a smiley icon does not insert them.

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2015, 07:58:53 PM »
GEM, Xerox 360 and OS/2 . . . . the first workable GUI's.

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2015, 08:52:42 PM »
I had almost forgotten about my GEM days.  No wonder I went on to Linux.  :)

Sinclair.  Fond memories, including the little thermal printer that went with it.  You forgot the Radio Shack TRS-80.  I did my master's thesis on a Model I.  First thesis at Ariz State accepted from a personal computer and dot matrix printer.

And you left out the Cray's.  :)  The last one I used was an XMP.

At the test site we had two PDP-11's that ran the hardware up into the 90's.  One was replaced in the late 90's.  The other kept on running until the test system was mothballed in early 2000's.  We literally had to kick start it.  We think one of the memory boards was in a socket that had some faulty fingers.  If it didn't start up right away someone would walk through the tunnel to the rack and give it a hard kick.  System would start right up.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline homebrew

• New Egg
  • New rider
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2015, 09:20:55 PM »

And you forgot CPM and MPM. (insert beer icon here)
Ha! I had an Epson QX-10 running CP/M, complete with the Valdocs package.  Damn near turned me off to college, that Valdocs was so bad.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2015, 09:26:09 PM »
My first laptop was a TRS80 model 100.  Ran on 6 AA batteries and had a 300baud modem, serial port and printer connection for the Epson FX.  What more could a guy need?  Professors didn't like it in their lectures because they thought it would be a distraction.  I've still got it.

CP/M and Appledos were what I used on my old Commodore and Apple II(x)'s.  Before floppies they ran on tape.

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2015, 09:43:13 PM »
My first laptop was a TRS80 model 100.  Ran on 6 AA batteries and had a 300baud modem, serial port and printer connection for the Epson FX.  What more could a guy need?  Professors didn't like it in their lectures because they thought it would be a distraction.  I've still got it.

I had a floppy drive for my M100. It let it run CPM.

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2015, 04:01:31 PM »
OK, so here's the addendum for my other early systems - TRaSh 80 Model 100 (with acoustic couplers, my first machine as a reporter), Kaypro (both CP/M suitcase and Kaypro 2000 DOS versions), TI 44/A with cassette recorder interface, ARCnet, JANet, and early token bus networks, various Commodore machines and networks, Network Courier and early NetBIOS/NetBEUI network operating systems, NetWare, VINES, DESQView and QEMM...

Maybe it would be faster to say which ones I didn't use at some point!
ITSecurity
2008 Norge GT - Silver

Offline Markcarovilli

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2015, 08:07:20 PM »
just installed it - went well too early to tell how I'll like it, but like all thinks computer I'll get used to it....

everthing is at least working  :boozing:

Mark

canuguzzi

« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2015, 09:28:25 PM »
GEM wasn't an OS it ran on top of DOS (pick your flavor) and sorry but the LISA truly was a disaster.

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2015, 04:24:36 AM »
I have updated two computers to 10 yesterday, an 6 year old Asus eeePC atom netbook. And my recent i5, both work only the netbook needed one newer driver(for w8) for the special keyboard keys. The netbook is the lowest that w10 will accept, it had w7 and was slow with it, and with w10 it's still slow. No wonder, but I only use it for holidays and guzzidiag, and that is fine. But it has an ssd and 2gb memory

Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2015, 07:26:33 AM »
I just re-installed my yellow legal pad and Bic pen. seems to be working just fine.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline lorazepam

• Gosling
  • Almost ready for suspenders
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2015, 07:28:05 AM »
My laptop died last night, and I will be looking to replace it today. Cat knocked a glass of water over on it. I was using Vista, and I was very happy with it. My question is if I want to continue to use Vista can I load it on to a newer machine, or am I going to have to use the newer OS and figure out how they work?

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2015, 08:38:42 AM »
You aren't going to find anything new with Vista, thankfully.  :grin:
Look for Win 7, that would have the least learning curve. Win 10 is most like 7, Win 8 - 8.1 would be the most to learn.

Penderic

« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2015, 11:09:00 AM »
I think I have a couple of Apple II 16kilobyte Memory expansion cards around.

Had a real nice keyboard ... almost like a Selectric Typewriter!

Those were much better than the humongous 1k Digital Company's PDP8 Commercial Computer memory card.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 11:12:12 AM by Penderic »

canuguzzi

« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2015, 12:58:58 PM »
My laptop died last night, and I will be looking to replace it today. Cat knocked a glass of water over on it. I was using Vista, and I was very happy with it. My question is if I want to continue to use Vista can I load it on to a newer machine, or am I going to have to use the newer OS and figure out how they work?

Since you asked, why change from something you are happy with? Get another computer, used just like what you had.

Would any of us tell someone to get a motorcycle other than what they liked and what worked well for them just because? No, we'd tell them to ride what they like and what they are comfortable riding. This is no different.

Change just to change is a waste of resources, usually money and time and in the end, satisfaction and enjoyment.

If you liked Vista, you don't need to change from that. If you liked your computer, you can find another on the used market, probably for very little money. Then you don't spend a lot of time having to change to something that had the accident not happened, wouldn't take place.

Do we throw away a bike because it needs work? No if it's a MG right? We fix them.

Computers aren't motorcycles but there is no need to make up a completely different set of rules because it is a computer.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2015, 01:17:47 PM »
Listening to Kim Komando on the radio this morning.  She suggested waiting a month, or two, to install Windows 10.

Was talking about several security patches released this week.

I think I'll take her advice and wait, despite the continuous prompting I've been getting on my machine.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2015, 01:44:10 PM »
Since you asked, why change from something you are happy with? Get another computer, used just like what you had.

Would any of us tell someone to get a motorcycle other than what they liked and what worked well for them just because? No, we'd tell them to ride what they like and what they are comfortable riding. This is no different.

Change just to change is a waste of resources, usually money and time and in the end, satisfaction and enjoyment.

If you liked Vista, you don't need to change from that. If you liked your computer, you can find another on the used market, probably for very little money. Then you don't spend a lot of time having to change to something that had the accident not happened, wouldn't take place.

Do we throw away a bike because it needs work? No if it's a MG right? We fix them.

Computers aren't motorcycles but there is no need to make up a completely different set of rules because it is a computer.

Good theory, but MS dropped support for vista some years ago.  You can reload it but you can't do any updates -- it will never be secure on the net and it will only be as up to date as the disk it's loaded from.

An alternative would be to find as identical a computer as possible and install your hard drive in it.  I do this with XP platforms with good success.

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2015, 02:09:38 PM »
GEM wasn't an OS it ran on top of DOS (pick your flavor) and sorry but the LISA truly was a disaster.
Actually, GEM ran on top of several OSs, if you consider the DOS-like TOS systems for the 68000 sufficiently different. The Lisa was great for early desktop publishing, as it pointed the way for a revolution in pre-press. As a general purpose machine? It was a prototype for most purposes, but it set the stage for the Mac and all that followed.
ITSecurity
2008 Norge GT - Silver

Offline roofus

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I must remember to cancel my turn signal!"
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2015, 07:42:42 PM »
Windows peaked at "Windows 98" and it has gotten worse with every "upgrade" since then.

I switched to a mac a long time ago and I have never looked back!
2010 V7 Cafe, 2013 V7 Special, 2013 Norton Commando 961SF, 2016 BMW R1200GS

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here