Author Topic: Anyone using Windows 10?  (Read 59115 times)

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Anyone using Windows 10?
« Reply #300 on: July 29, 2016, 01:52:54 PM »
I have to chase down an alternate program for writing documents.  I still get the prompt to purchase Office.

LibreOffice is a complete suite with equivalents of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and so on. There is also a graphics program that combines features of CorelDraw and Visio, and an equation editor like the extension available from Microsoft. You can get versions that run on Windows, Mac, Linux etc. Download is available from http://www.libreoffice.org/
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #301 on: July 29, 2016, 02:20:07 PM »
Thanks, I'll check it out. :thumb:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #302 on: July 29, 2016, 04:17:16 PM »
I have to chase down an alternate program for writing documents.  I still get the prompt to purchase Office.

Try "Open Office".  It's free and will read new Office documents that my old MS Office XP won't.  Seems to work just like Office.  MS likes to make their old stuff obsolete, so this is great.  It works with the new stuff.

Got it from my son, who recommended this one-stop cite to set up any computer with the best freeware.  Save lots of time and identifies new options.

https://ninite.com/
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 04:20:00 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #303 on: July 29, 2016, 04:22:58 PM »
Cool!
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #303 on: July 29, 2016, 04:22:58 PM »

Offline jmac851

• New Egg
« Reply #304 on: July 29, 2016, 04:55:32 PM »
I installed it on 2 of my computers and it slowed down both of them on the internet.  It seems that the ads get priority over all else.  My internet speed is less than 1 mbs.  That's all that is offered where I live.  I'm thinking of dumping my land line and just go to a 4g set up. 
1967 V700
1969 Ambassador
1984 Cal 2
1996 Cal 1100
1998 EV 1100
2006 Breva 1100
1994 BMW R1100RS

Offline jumpmaster

• Gosling
« Reply #305 on: July 29, 2016, 05:07:39 PM »
I installed it on 2 of my computers and it slowed down both of them on the internet.  It seems that the ads get priority over all else.  My internet speed is less than 1 mbs.  That's all that is offered where I live.  I'm thinking of dumping my land line and just go to a 4g set up.

Out of curiosity, pls confirm what "it" you installed - Windows 10 or "Open Office"?  I don't need to slow down my computer any more!  On another note of probably little interest to most of you reading this thread, but irritating to me, Windows 10 just "changed the rules" on my solitaire game with no notice, no opportunity to keep the former structure, & no apparent way (or at least no instructions) to recover the statistics I had amassed on the original form of the game I was playing ("Klondike").  Just another little clue concerning how much contempt the MS staff has for the non-techie end-user...
JC
90 Mille GT (sold), 73 Eldorado, 75 Norton Commando, 46 Whizzer, 13 Harley Road Glide

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #306 on: July 29, 2016, 05:53:55 PM »
Try "Open Office".  It's free and will read new Office documents that my old MS Office XP won't.  Seems to work just like Office.  MS likes to make their old stuff obsolete, so this is great.  It works with the new stuff.

Got it from my son, who recommended this one-stop cite to set up any computer with the best freeware.  Save lots of time and identifies new options.

Open Office and LibreOffice are two forks of the same source product. Both are free, both work pretty well, but historically the LibreOffice branch has had a bit more frequent updates and more community support.

By the way, related to another issue raised by OMG, neither of these products are cloud services - they both install to your system and can be used without Internet access.
ITSecurity
2008 Norge GT - Silver

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #307 on: July 29, 2016, 06:36:26 PM »
Out of curiosity, pls confirm what "it" you installed - Windows 10 or "Open Office"?  I don't need to slow down my computer any more!  On another note of probably little interest to most of you reading this thread, but irritating to me, Windows 10 just "changed the rules" on my solitaire game with no notice, no opportunity to keep the former structure, & no apparent way (or at least no instructions) to recover the statistics I had amassed on the original form of the game I was playing ("Klondike").  Just another little clue concerning how much contempt the MS staff has for the non-techie end-user...

I've been moving the solitaire games forward from older operating systems since what W10 really wants you to do is buy stuff -- like their solitaire package -- which has all the features they're pulling from the gimme W10 versions.

Kentktk

« Reply #308 on: July 29, 2016, 07:04:34 PM »

I am amazed it doesn`t work perfectly like all other MS products.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #309 on: July 29, 2016, 07:43:20 PM »
I've been moving the solitaire games forward from older operating systems since what W10 really wants you to do is buy stuff -- like their solitaire package -- which has all the features they're pulling from the gimme W10 versions.

My son has it together,  go to this and get all the free stuff that works better and doesn't go obsolete after you buy it.

(you can load all the free stuff at once with a few clicks)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 08:00:09 AM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline jreagan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #310 on: July 29, 2016, 09:55:38 PM »
I know that GWX has been around for a while, but Never10 https://www.grc.com/never10.htm isn't as complicated plus the grc.com website has lots of goodies to use.

"Loud Valves Save Lives"

2004 Triumph Bonneville T100
2006 Breva 1100 (red)
Nicholasville KY USA

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #311 on: July 30, 2016, 01:46:29 AM »
I know that GWX has been around for a while, but Never10 https://www.grc.com/never10.htm isn't as complicated plus the grc.com website has lots of goodies to use.

Steve Gibson is an long-ago correspondent of mine, back to when he first wrote SpinRite (I have a paid license for it from about 1985-87 I think!). He does good work. Either of these two tools are worth using if you don't want to upgrade to Win10.

It will be interesting to see what happens next week when the free upgrade is no longer being pushed. Will MS just do a nag screen with no download unless you agree, or...?
ITSecurity
2008 Norge GT - Silver

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #312 on: July 30, 2016, 03:48:17 AM »
Spinrite was an essential tool back in the days of MFM and RLL.  How else could you get your sectors sectioned and your interleave left?

Offline jreagan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #313 on: July 30, 2016, 07:30:53 AM »
I used Spinrite a few months back.  Now that Steve is finishing up his SQRL project, he's going to work on the next version of Spinrite to deal with newer drives, better ACPI support, etc.  And if you want to listen to Steve talk security on a weekly basis, he does a podcast over at twit.tv. 

www.twit.tv/sn
"Loud Valves Save Lives"

2004 Triumph Bonneville T100
2006 Breva 1100 (red)
Nicholasville KY USA

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here