Author Topic: What is more attractive to you about the Guzzi V-twin vs. the Harley V-twin  (Read 86484 times)

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
Just curious for those who have some experience with the Harley V twin's as well as the Guzzi. What is it about the Guzzi-V twin engine that captivates you more so then the Harley twin? Overlooking the cultural differences, is it the feel, torque, power delivery… What is it that causes you to choose the Guzzi over a Harley?
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
The Guzzi engine orientation is superior, from an engineering point of view, in that it offers better cooling.  With the crankshaft inline with the frame it's also more logical for shaft drive, which I like.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
Harleys are ubiquitous.
Moto~Guzzi is not.
I like that.
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
besides the brakes and the handling, if you're just talking the V-twin style engines, one term comes to mind:

RPMs.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Wildguzzi.com

Offline drlapo

• Gaggle Hero
Moto Guzzis don't shake and rattle
They have brakes and suspension
The chrome to power ratio is better

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
As hinted at above, the 90 degree layout has better natural balance, although the newer rubber mounted Harley engines feel pretty smooth to me when I'm riding them, which is really only when a friend tells me to try riding his.  I also like not having the same thing that so many others have.  And all my jeans are black, because so many people wear the blue ones.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
I like them both.

Compared to everything else out there they are more similar than dis-similar.

They both make generous torque and run at relatively low rpm.

The is about a 1k difference in general rpm range between a 2V Guzzi and a Sportster, and a 2k difference between the Guzzi and a BT.

That said the difference does mean enjoyable revving on the Goose and even more of a freight train strong pull on the Harleys.

The Guzzi engine orientation is superior, from an engineering point of view, in that it offers better cooling. 

This isn't necessarily true. I've posted data on it here over the years.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
Guzzi's 90 degree twin achieves near perfect primary balance without needing to counter balance the crank . Also the shorter stroke makes for a quicker and higher revving motor. As mentioned the cooling and shaft drive advantages are also big. Easy valve adjustments and the lack of having to  join a cult  are pluses  for me as well. Sure , dealer support is important if you want to ride a less than reliable motor bike.  :evil:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 01:53:08 PM by lucian »

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
Design and character. From the early years of the Guzzi twin, the Guzzi was more oil tight than the Harley. The crankcase is a box with a removable bottom sump, not an external tank with hoses. Also not split vertically. The rocker boxes, carbs, and spark plugs are where you can get at them for easier maintenance than HD, or Brit bikes. The shaft drive meant less oil being flung about. The overall gearing and superior cooling meant that the bike could be ridden further, faster. The primary balance meant that the engine could achieve much longer service life than HD or brit bikes. It was about the best you could buy.
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
Lucian , are we not a cult  :shocked:

Dusty

I think we're more like a quilt.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 02:53:43 PM by oldbike54 »

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
I think we're more like a quilt.  :laugh:

Fixed it for you.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
I like Guzzis but easy valve adjustments compared to a Harley?

Offline cleatusj

• Gaggle Mentor
Can reach the ton on a stock bike for less money.
'76 Convert with sidecar
'93 Cali III with sidecar
Granbury, Texas
"Error of Opinion may be tolerated where Reason is left free to combat it." - Thomas Jefferson

bpreynolds

Lucian , are we not a cult  :shocked:

Dusty

Cult of personalities.

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
The Guzzi engine orientation is superior, from an engineering point of view, in that it offers better cooling.  With the crankshaft inline with the frame it's also more logical for shaft drive, which I like.

Peter Y.
I do agree with you and personally prefer the Guzzi engine orientation (after all, that's why I have one), but if I wanted to argue the other side on these issues, I would point out that a chain or belt drive is more efficient than a bevel drive, and also that the inline crankshaft layout causes the whole bike to want to lean when the engine is revved.  Some find this disconcerting.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 06:55:27 AM by sib »
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
How about some quilted doo rag winter rocker covers?

Lcarlson

if I wanted to argue the other side on these issues, I would point out that a chain drive is more efficient than a bevel drive

Chain drive? H-D?

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
Maybe thinking about the chain necklaces.  :laugh:

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
Being so decidedly different other than the most basic descriptive elements - I find them hard to compare.

I recall that fella's lateral crank, Guzzi specials as being notably unattractive to me so, when the orientation is equal, the Guzzi fails for me.

Then too, there's exposure, so many Guzzis take little advantage of the overall visual appeal of the engine. This one, elsewhere on this page, really makes a point of what we're missing on Guzzi engines. Exposure and body/frame color choices truly make the engine stand out wonderfully.

Then to HDs: there are still times when I'll walk past a "big twin" and am distracted by how good looking and elemental it can be. Generally, it has to be in an FX/Dyna to not have a bunch of distracting crap all over the bike.

But the cake-taker for me is a proper XR motor; 750 or my own past 1000 in particular.

Anyhow - to directly answer the question - gots to go big Guzzi 2 valve, square head with carbs.

Todd.

Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline Bonafide Bob

• Gosling
In my opinion the Harley Shovel Head motor is on of the best looking motors ever built of any brand.
Bob
We have freedom of speech, as long as we don't say to much.

Offline fatbob

• Gosling
Ease of maintenance most certainly.
Bob Lower

'07 Norge
'01 K1200LT
'10 Thunderbird
'88 FLHS
'79 R100T
'03 R1150RT
'07 GTS 250

Offline Matt Story

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Flint, MI
I prefer the Raven for the best of both worlds :laugh:

http://raven-moto.com/
'75 850T - First & only owner
'77 Honda CB750 Supersport
'02 BMW R1150RT

Flint, MI

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
In deed. How many years do you have to go back to find a stock Guzzi that won't do the ton?

Compare that with how far you you need go back to find a HD that won't do the ton?
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Mile High Guzzi

What Kev said +...I own both, wonderful motors with character....alive, with some shake, total bliss!!

I like them both.

Compared to everything else out there they are more similar than dis-similar.

They both make generous torque and run at relatively low rpm.

The is about a 1k difference in general rpm range between a 2V Guzzi and a Sportster, and a 2k difference between the Guzzi and a BT.

That said the difference does mean enjoyable revving on the Goose and even more of a freight train strong pull on the Harleys.

This isn't necessarily true. I've posted data on it here over the years.

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
Funny story.

A coworker and I decided to ride our bikes to the office one nice spring day.  I was on my white Calvin, he rode (rarely) a blinged-out Road King.  We were stopped at a light, and he points down to the rocker cover sticking out of the right side of my bike.  He then asked "What is that thing, your air filter?"

Couldn't stop laughing as the light turned green and he and his bike got smaller and smaller in my mirrors.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
"IF YOU HAVE TO ASK"!
Many people want to "play the roll" or be part of the in crowd. they also seem to like their nuts cooked like a sweet potato. lots of money helps and it doesn't matter if they can't screw a cap onto the tooth paste. they can pay somebody to do it for them. and that's why Harleys still sell. and yes I've owned 5 and am still a life hog member.
But for me now I just like to ride with a big smile on my face in whatever riding gear feels just right to me and on a bike that doesn't weigh a thousand pounds but does handle and stop.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
I prefer the power band on Guzzis--enough grunt getting off the line but willing to rev quite happily.

Rich A

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
I like both, but admit that I prefer the Guzzi. I've always been partial to 360 or 180 degree engines for street bikes. Balance and scavenging are so much easier to maintain with evenly spaced firing intervals, though that Harley sound is pretty cool. Also, the Guzzi configuration deletes the primary case, provides better cornering clearance, and cools more evenly. HD's don't require much fuss under the rocker covers, but the Guzzi provides access that makes a valve adjustment a breeze. Lastly, I've always considered belt-drive to be a bit industrial. I know that it works okay but those big ugly sprockets and toothed belts turn me right off. In execution, both bikes are loaded with personality and fill a very fun niche. I just lean toward the sportier side, I guess.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline RayB

• Gaggle Hero
Other than depreciation, I like the difference in the cost of ownersip and maintainability.
01 EV
82 BMW R100

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
I like Guzzis but easy valve adjustments compared to a Harley?

You know that HD has been running hydraulic lifters for decades, right?  No valve adustment on Sportster or Big Twin.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here