Author Topic: The MoCo is failing merged threadfest .  (Read 20722 times)

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
The MoCo is failing merged threadfest .
« on: July 18, 2017, 08:50:36 AM »
...of the pirate era?  Maybe this is why HD is once again looking at the sport bike market to increase sales:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-harley-davidson-results-idUSKBN1A3126

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 03:17:27 PM by oldbike54 »
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline wavedog

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Is this the end?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 09:23:40 AM »
Ha- I thought you were quoting Dylan. Has not Harley done something like this before? Cut production, create demand, driving up the out the door cost per unit and by doing so this may increase the value of a bike on the secondary market, thus making the new bike purchase seem more attractive? I remember when there were waiting lists to purchase a new Harley. Prices on the primary (and secondary) market were high and so were dealer fees. Perhaps the economic situation driving the cut in deliveries/production is different this time?
 In Florida the Harley market is not just baby boomers. It is young men and older guys riding sportsters, young women riding big twins and everything in between. But that's just what I observe here about a half hour from Daytona and may not apply to the rest of the country.
 Interesting times we live in.

Offline screamday

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 09:33:30 AM »
...of the pirate era?  Maybe this is why HD is once again looking at the sport bike market to increase sales:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-harley-davidson-results-idUSKBN1A3126

The Milwaukee-based motorcycle maker, which had previously forecast flat to modestly down full-year shipments, said it expects to ship 241,000 to 246,000 motorcycles in 2017, compared with 262,221 a year earlier.

That's a lot of motorcycles. I think Harley's biggest mistake was getting into bed with Wall Street many years ago.
Tony in SC
"Comfort the disturbed and Disturb the comfortable"
1988 R100RS
1998 V11 EV

oldbike54

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 09:58:12 AM »
 My nephew the Harley salesman tells me that the MoCo is concerned . He bases this on the communication between the MoCo and the very large corporate dealership where he works . The dealership is getting pressure to "do something" because sales and overall market share are on the decline . Like Sears or K Mart , once a huge company begins to contract it can be tough to find equilibrium . HD rode the wave successfully for many years , but that wave may be dying on the shores of a shrinking market , and an unwillingness to look far enough into the future .

Dusty

PS . One thing my nephew has told me is that in his dealership sales of Motor Clothes have declined , T shirts and doo rag sales ain't what they used to be .

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 09:58:12 AM »

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 10:04:31 AM »
Perhaps the economic situation driving the cut in deliveries/production is different this time?
 In Florida the Harley market is not just baby boomers. It is young men and older guys riding sportsters, young women riding big twins and everything in between.

Yup, their clientele is diminishing.  At first you could blame the economy but it's clicking along at 2%.  The Conference Board Leading Economic Index� (LEI) for the U.S. Increased in May, Expansion in Economic Activity Will Continue Through 2017

I think HD is serious at keeping their dealer base stocked with product to sell that will attract a new audience. They are smart to think outside the box but their dealers have to accept it.

One thing I'm seeing is an increase in ladies joining the Guzzi facebook group listing recent purchases of V7's.  That's a positive for the home team!
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 10:19:12 AM »
"Harley-Geezers"....certainly never to be confused with...."Guzzi-Geezers!!" (lol)  :laugh: :grin: :wink:

image storage api

Since the joke is that Moto Guzzi..."has been going out of business since 1921"  :huh: :shocked:  HD can always sing this classic by The Doors!!  :laugh: :grin: :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VScSEXRwUqQ
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 10:21:58 AM by JJ »
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 10:27:43 AM »
With pick ups and SUVs running 50-60k and ya gotta have 1 for the wife and 1 foy self there is no money for a 25k bike.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Online kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 10:28:17 AM »
I spoke with a shop owner over the weekend. He has a couple of brands he reps new, and does some service. Personally owns 25 bikes. A couple hogs, a bunch of Ducatis, and his main interest, personally, a dozen Moto Guzzis. All between the years 1970 and 1985.

We talked about the lack of Guzzi shops and he shared that, as a Vespa dealer at one time, Piaggio was impossible to work with, and not worth for a small businessman who wants to be able to flip his shingle to "closed" on a whim, and go for a ride. He also attends corporate functions at HD in Milwaukee as a stockholder, if I understood him correctly.

He stated that HD is basically "getting out of" New Motorcycle business, in that they no longer see their long term viability as a business developing and selling new machines, although they'll never stop. They are shifting their focus to developing riders. They've even put numbers to their goals. 20 million regular riders developed, and a timeline to boot. Forgive me I don't recall the fine points, it was the overall re-adjust that was notable, and seems appropriate.  Build demand, and provide the network to feed it. They've built the network, they've flooded the continent with machinery, now they need more competent mile munchers needing everything 2 wheeled related, parts, service, attire.

Also mentioned that n addition to Ducati, they're looking at Royal Enfield.

Also worth noting that here in Indy, I'm running into women on bikes ALL the time. In fact at that little shop, the only other rider I met was a woman, guessing approx 50ish who rolled up on a ratty G5, her newest acquisition, and has been leaving Triumph at home.

I've got a good lady friend in Chicago who's been badgering me for info on bikes and she and a girlfriend signed up to take riding classes, and she'll be looking for a bike in the fall. Wants me to keep my eyes peeled.

The culture continues to have appeal, and more and more, HD is out of the equation.

'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 02:24:44 PM »
Well, if they want new riders maybe they should call Elton John back for a celebration.

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 02:36:44 PM »
Well, if they want new riders maybe they should call Elton John back for a celebration.

Sadly...it ain't gonna help.... :laugh: :grin: :wink:

'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
HD sales drop, Bloomberg News
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 02:43:18 PM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-18/harley-davidson-is-losing-its-cool

I am a gas powered dinosaur

"Registration of large bikes down 7%...."

"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
Re: HD sales drop, Bloomberg News
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 02:58:10 PM »
This also explains why the local south central ct craigslist is about 75% used hd...cheap, too...$3k can get you a nice sporty, etc on up the scale, but mostly I'm seeing them sit there a long time.
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
Re: The MoCo is failing merged threadfest .
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 04:05:06 PM »
was just reading this when I came over here.  The page was still open on the browser.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/harley-davidson-inc-hog-stock-165303854.html

Looks like Harley is learning what the Japanese learned in the 80s (and again since '08) and perhaps what Europeans might be learning soon: Growth in the motorcycle business doesn't go on forever.  The business end has to be able to cope with downturns and no growth. 

The fact that Harley hasn't diversified it's product line, perhaps couldn't to be true to it's clientele, doesn't give them a lot of flexibility.   I'd guess most of the baby boomers have had their Harleys and perhaps have one (two or three) in the garage with <5,000 miles on them.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 04:15:06 PM »
What, the LiveWire didn't save them?  Surely they have them on the floor selling like hot cakes by now?
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline drums4money

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 05:29:34 PM »
I was considering a Harley until just now.  I noticed one of the banner ads delivered to my Wild Guzzi forum is from F.C. Kerbeck Motor Cars.  They're offering .99% financing on any new Bentley.  I might just have to drive home a new Continental GT instead of a Sportster. 
hypocrite, four flusher, snake in the grass, just a swindler and wolf in sheep's clothing...liar

1200 Sport , Monster S2R, MV Agusta B3 800

Old School Audio:
http://oldschoolaudio.wix.com/headphones

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2017, 06:16:43 PM »
Read about this in the WSJ and really took from it less "failing" than simply being left behind by market shifts. They still do what they do better than anyone else and between changing trends and unprecedented competition, they were doomed to a "correction".

Doubtless the reason for the Ducati move.

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2017, 06:27:00 PM »
It's not just H-D, others in the industry are in the same situation and not meeting their financials goals.  It seems to be the current trend in the industry. H-D, is the largest manufacturer of street going bikes world wide, so its understandable they  are hit the hardest. The H-D brand is highly respected around the world and they are master at marketing. This isn't the 1st time they've been in trouble, don't count them out. 

Paul
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing " - Socrates

Paul M. in SW Florida: 318 miles, 11 curves and not a Guzzi dealer in sight!

oldbike54

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2017, 06:42:48 PM »
It's not just H-D, others in the industry are in the same situation and not meeting their financials goals.  It seems to be the current trend in the industry. H-D, is the largest manufacturer of street going bikes world wide, so its understandable they  are hit the hardest. The H-D brand is highly respected around the world and they are master at marketing. This isn't the 1st time they've been in trouble, don't count them out. 

Paul

Actually I believe Honda is the largest manufacturer of street bikes , and maybe Hero is number two .

Dusty
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 06:43:42 PM by oldbike54 »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2017, 08:25:14 PM »
Actually I believe Honda is the largest manufacturer of street bikes , and maybe Hero is number two .

Dusty

Heavy Bikes!  Not a rice grinder!   -Fender Roads (Basher Tarr, Oceans 13)

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 08:34:42 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline GearheadGrrrl

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2017, 08:45:22 PM »
HOG(NYSE) had a bike that appealed to young riders: Buell. Of course, they killed it...
Guzzi: Quota with Motorvation 'hack
BMWs: F800S, R100GS, R80ST with Motorvation Spyder 'hack, R65LS
Hacks: Motovation Spyder and Formula II
Buell: M2L, RIP Buell Motors Corporation
Yamaha: MX250 $25 auction find, "static display" for now, XS650 "on loan" from my brother, 'nother "static displa

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2017, 10:10:56 PM »
I'm in Milwaukee right now. Wandered over to the Harley Davidson museum - although closed, I intended to eat at the museum restaurant. But it was closed for a private party.

Got some funny looks, but no comments about my Ducati shirt.

This sign and the "ride" are right at the front door of the museum.

service images free

And look at this statue... How about a new Harley Davidson that could fit a sand-paddle rear tire? That'd be something.

1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline bacongrease

• Gosling
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2017, 11:04:42 PM »
  however,  when a dealership closes, it ain't a HD one.

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2017, 08:58:10 AM »
 Maybe they should bring back the Blast. :boozing:
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2017, 09:04:06 AM »
Maybe they should bring back the Blast. :boozing:

Let's all have........a "BLAST!!"  :rolleyes: :huh: :shocked: :laugh: :grin: :wink:

upload gif image
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2017, 10:25:44 AM »
I road a Blast, I was impressed with it.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2017, 01:35:18 PM »
Nice Valerie had one. Like the brakes like the suspension but it had a motor only a mother could love.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

canuck750

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2017, 01:56:47 PM »
Harley has been cashing in on selling a 'Life Style' more than selling a motorcycle. Like all trends in fashion, entertainment, etc, the 'Life Style' trend will pass and they will just have their bikes to rely upon. Much like Triumph in the 60's, refusing to adapt to a changing market, they will find themselves left behind. It may take another 5 ~ 10 years but its will happen unless HD moves beyond the big lumbering twin.

On a related note my long time riding partner, a Goldwing man since 1976 has always secretly hankered for a HD. Unfortunately a good friend of his was just diagnosed with a degenerative neurological disease that has cut his riding days short and was forced to part with a 4 year old Road King, all decked out and in like new shape. The RK ticked all my friends boxes, all black, lots of chrome added, upgraded exhaust etc... So my buddy purchases said HD and within 1 week he tells me its for sale. I suggest he give it a decent try, keep it for a year, take it down to his winter home in Palm Springs and enjoy it. No doing, he says other than making a lot of noise it is way too underpowered after riding his Valkyrie or GL1800, too top heavy, handling is sub-par compared to the Honda's and so on. Now if a guy who's 1st bike was a new 1965 S90, been riding ever since, +20K miles per year can't adapt to a HD what's the future for them?

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2017, 02:17:03 PM »
Harley has been cashing in on selling a 'Life Style' more than selling a motorcycle. Like all trends in fashion, entertainment, etc, the 'Life Style' trend will pass and they will just have their bikes to rely upon. Much like Triumph in the 60's, refusing to adapt to a changing market, they will find themselves left behind. It may take another 5 ~ 10 years but its will happen unless HD moves beyond the big lumbering twin.

On a related note my long time riding partner, a Goldwing man since 1976 has always secretly hankered for a HD. Unfortunately a good friend of his was just diagnosed with a degenerative neurological disease that has cut his riding days short and was forced to part with a 4 year old Road King, all decked out and in like new shape. The RK ticked all my friends boxes, all black, lots of chrome added, upgraded exhaust etc... So my buddy purchases said HD and within 1 week he tells me its for sale. I suggest he give it a decent try, keep it for a year, take it down to his winter home in Palm Springs and enjoy it. No doing, he says other than making a lot of noise it is way too underpowered after riding his Valkyrie or GL1800, too top heavy, handling is sub-par compared to the Honda's and so on. Now if a guy who's 1st bike was a new 1965 S90, been riding ever since, +20K miles per year can't adapt to a HD what's the future for them?

Life style +1

I have a lot of friends who rides HD because they enjoy the lifestyle of it.

But everytime when it comes down to what they REALLY enjoy riding when it comes to performance, they ended pointing to their Ducati, Triumph, and even Honda...

All because when it comes to "looking cool" & "style point", HD def wins in a lot of spots...but we don't all just ride for the style points as we would like that OOMPH sometimes...that is when HD falls short.

Don't get me wrong, HD does make some powerful bikes and i admit they do look cool, but when compare to other makes of bike, they are basically on par for 3 or 4 times the $$$...
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2017, 05:57:38 PM »
Meh,

Canuck's friend was never really the customer, not because the number of miles he rides but because of what attracted him to a GL1800 or Valkyrie in the first place.

And the lifestyle vs. performance argument is a non-starter on this forum.

My three Guzzis have not been any faster than equivalent model Harleys.

And even a Griso 8V is really nothing to brag about if it nothing but performance matters.

Frankly my new RK is faster than I need and it's bone stock.

Anyway there's no doubt that a shift is occurring in the market place and that Harley might do better if they diversified a bit, but I don't think the market for classics/cruisers/tourers is going away completely any time soon.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 06:07:40 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2017, 06:01:48 PM »
PS the money thing is BS too.

Sure you CAN spend ridiculous dosh on some top of the line models loaded with accessories.   

But equally you can buy models for similar prices to the competition if you look. Hell I just spent less on a new RK then I would have a Cali 1400.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here