Author Topic: Birds  (Read 7439 times)

britman

Birds
« on: June 15, 2017, 09:57:21 AM »
Every morning lately I have been chasing a small bird out of my garage.  Apparently he has been entering through the window where I keep a fan.  I have feeders out, throw stale bread on the ground, and even keep a suet cage.  Still they continuously shit on my cars, bikes, and now this.  Anyone have an idea what new modular helmets are costing these days....

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Birds
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 10:00:02 AM »
You are providing an easy source of food so they are looking for nesting places.
Stop feeding them and they go away.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

oldbike54

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 10:09:32 AM »
 Buy a couple of old pudding bowl helmets , place them upside down in an easily accessible location, problem solved  :laugh: Oh , I like birds also  :thumb:

Dusty

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 10:25:36 AM »
Get a hat box. We have Cardinal that likes cat food and a big frog that comes in to eat bugs. Maybe it starts w/hair in the helmet.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 10:25:36 AM »

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 10:54:39 AM »
Oh that's hilarious. He looked at that helmet and thought "Why that big dummy does not realize he's got an unfinished home right here - I'll just put in some insulation, a little carpeting - chicks are going to dig this flat .... "

We have a hummingbird feeder, all manner of drama occurs around it. I tried seed in a feeder on the fence for a while but there was too much resulting drama, spillage and poop - now the seed goes out on the hill (apartment life), and the seed feeder holds water. We do this instead of television.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 10:55:37 AM by normzone »
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

britman

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 11:02:57 AM »
I have decided I am not going to mess with the helmet and window fan opening is going to stay in place. I guess eggs will be arriving soon, I always wanted more than one Grand-baby and they will be company for the "Goose".  After nature has run its course the condo will go to the landfill and head gear storage will moved to a more secure location....

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 12:14:31 PM »
That's a Phoebe, I'll betcha anything (unless it's really small, then it might be a wren).

They nest in my garage and shed, making the durndest mess crapping on everything.   They eat insects so they have no interest in our seed feeders or suet feeders.

You either have to run them off before they get their nest built by tearing it up as they build it, or you have to terminate them with extreme prejudice, or you have to put up with them.   

We usually just put up with them.   We're on the side of anything that eats insects around here ... !

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline screamday

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 12:52:28 PM »
Tony in SC
"Comfort the disturbed and Disturb the comfortable"
1988 R100RS
1998 V11 EV

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 12:58:12 PM »
After the chicks have fledged and left the nest, the birds will have no further interest in it, so you can retrieve the helmet.  I would, however, suggest making sure it's thoroughly clean before using it, since birds carry all manner of parasites, especially ticks.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline Lee Davis

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 01:15:28 PM »
I suppose I am very lucky when it comes to birds... I leave the back garage door open to my shop, which is loaded with motorcycles and project bikes. The birds that often come in are Roadrunners, and if I surprise them, I carefully wait till they leave on their own. I have a nesting pair that had three chicks this last year, and those guys are fully grown now, so I often see them around the place. But, that is good luck! I spread seed for the Doves, but the Roadrunners are not seed eaters... not sure why they come into the shop, unless it is to check out the Guzzis. But, since Roadrunners are very perceptive birds, they never leave any calling cards on the Guzzis.   Lee Davis,  New Mexico

Loopframe rebuilder and Erotic Farmer

Offline Pop

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 01:46:18 PM »
Go to the dollar store and buy several rubber snakes. Put them around. No birds. My brother had birds crapping on his new truck, he glued a snake to the rail and no crap,  but he did scare the crap out of a woman in a parking lot.
As for the babies, Happy Father's Day

Pop
Ride to eat, if there ain't food, I ain't goin'

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 01:58:01 PM »
you can hang up old CDs it scares the birds away. It works, I hung a couple on phone line going to my house where birds would perch and crap on the cars. No more birds on the wire! They think its the flashing eyes of a predator bird of some sort I have read.  At least its harmless..You may try hanging a couple with a piece of string from the rafters.... :grin:
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 02:47:13 PM »

..... but the Roadrunners are not seed eaters... not sure why they come into the shop, unless it is to check out the Guzzis. But, since Roadrunners are very perceptive birds, they never leave any calling cards on the Guzzis.   

Oh, I know why they come to the shop ... and they're not hoping to find a Guzzi.

They're hoping to get at THIS guy ....

They ARE very perceptive birds ....

Lannis

Offline nyITguy

• New Egg
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2017, 05:15:09 PM »
Birds

Okay, when I see people commenting with references to Belew songs, I know I'm in the right forum!

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2017, 07:52:11 PM »
We have an airplane hanger. I've seen birds sitting on rubber snakes. They pay no attention whatsoever to dangling CDs. A big owl seems to spook a few.. but..
I don't care. Anything that flies is a kindred spirit. I like em. I feed em. I watch em. I *love* listening to them. <shrug>
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Pop

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2017, 08:11:36 PM »
Oh! I don't dislike birds, I spend a ton on food for the winter. I even mix my own feed for them. I simply passed on info that worked.
If birds nested in my helmet, they would die.
Pop

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2017, 01:48:20 AM »
Great thread!
Guzzi content? Above average, I'd say.
Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2017, 05:37:36 AM »
Oh! I don't dislike birds, I spend a ton on food for the winter. I even mix my own feed for them. I simply passed on info that worked.
If birds nested in my helmet, they would die.
Pop

We mix our own too ... most birds here like sunflower seeds, but some like cracked corn and millet so we mix it about 80/20 sunflower/other.

Our feed barrel holds about 90 pounds, and we fill it every three weeks or so to supply the 4 feeders (winter and summer, it never slows down), so we LITERALLY use about a ton of feed every 18 months .... !   And that's just birds - we finally outsmarted the squirrels!

Lannis

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2017, 06:12:08 AM »
We have a pretty good variety, and lots of windows. This year has been good for sightings-decent uptick in bluebirds, eagles, pileated woodpeckers, too many others.

A feeder? Maybe in squirrel season, but the bears like 'em too!

ps-chickens love to kill snakes.

Offline Captainjos

• New Egg
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2017, 06:13:38 AM »
Hmmm....this is for the birds
The only things worth learning are the things you learn after you know it all

2007 Nevada Classic Corsa Red

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2017, 06:26:29 AM »
We have a pretty good variety, and lots of windows. This year has been good for sightings-decent uptick in bluebirds, eagles, pileated woodpeckers, too many others.

We use a galvanized 30-gallon trash can for outside seed storage, it holds about 90 - 100 pounds.

Of course, to a bear, that represents about 150,000 calories, which is quite a temptation.    We made the mistake of leaving the house for a week with our dog, and left the can outside ... and Mama Bear apparently was making seed porridge that week and ate it ALLLL up.

So now, if we leave the house for a day or two or more and take the dog, we pull the can inside.    When we're here, the dog is patrolling outside and bears hate dogs, won't come around at all.   And the squirrels have to take what the birds spill on the ground, they can't get to the feeders.

Lannis

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2017, 07:09:41 AM »
I wish Road Runners would come to my shop. Or Super Birds or Super Bees.....
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline Pop

• Gosling
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2017, 07:51:56 AM »
Hey, no birds and bees! Sexual content is frowned on.

Pop

Offline Lee Davis

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2017, 08:46:30 AM »
I walked into the shop early this morning and there was a Roadrunner standing on one of the old Moto Guzzis. Now, that is certainly good luck. I hear them around the place quite often, calling "brrrakaack", I suppose to each other. No beeps here... 

Loopframe rebuilder and Erotic Farmer

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2017, 11:38:45 AM »

Yeah, I think it was the very mild winter. We've seen bluebirds, too. Brown Thrashers. Rose breasted Grosbeaks.. rare around here. Pileated woodpeckers??  :shocked:  I've seen two in my life. I certainly don't expect to see one, but you never know.  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2017, 11:46:34 AM »
Yeah, I think it was the very mild winter. We've seen bluebirds, too. Brown Thrashers. Rose breasted Grosbeaks.. rare around here. Pileated woodpeckers??  :shocked:  I've seen two in my life. I certainly don't expect to see one, but you never know.  :smiley:
A Pileated couple decided to nest near us, quite a treat seeing those birds up close.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

britman

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2017, 11:53:01 AM »
Just a quick update.  I had not seen any activity around the helmet condo since initial discovery.  I thought maybe I had gotten lucky and the bike noise and CD player had made the new resident move on.  I checked at 4 am this morning with a flashlight and was met with a beady eyed stare.  She must have been out partying prior to dropping the maternal load............

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2017, 12:23:27 PM »
A Pileated couple decided to nest near us, quite a treat seeing those birds up close.

We have quite a few, they are BIG raucous birds!   Startling to see one take wing from a tree near you ....

Lannis

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2017, 12:53:21 PM »
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

oldbike54

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2017, 01:19:23 PM »
 We have owls , a couple different varieties of woodpeckers , tons of crows , hawks , bluebirds , cardinals , pigeons , Eastern and Western something or others , the occasional eagle , and a whole bunch of little brown jobs . (technical term) . Some mornings it sounds like an aviary just outside our door . Squack , tweet , honk , and that isn't counting the neighbor's parrot who sounds a bit like Archie Bunker on speed  :shocked:  :laugh:

Dusty

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here