Author Topic: Hit and Run  (Read 8999 times)

Offline Markcarovilli

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Hit and Run
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2017, 06:35:58 PM »
So glad that you and your daughter are OK - hope they get the purp...

Mark

Offline analog kid

• Hatchling
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2017, 06:55:11 PM »
Glad you're all ok.
If it's worth anything, a few weeks ago an acquaintance was run into a ditch by a pickup pulling into the road. Broke his leg and the only description he could muster was: red Chevy pickup, king cab. Rural crash, so no witnesses and no security cameras anywhere.

Took about a week, but they found and arrested him.
90 Mille GT
03 Aprilia Caponord
84 LeMans lll (project)
07 Breva 1100 (sold)

Bonaventure

« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2017, 07:12:53 PM »
El Paso PD likely has a dedicated H/R unit, and hopefully will take this on as a special interest case since it was car vs. motorcycle and the resulting elevated risk of serious bodily injury or death in such accidents. 

Your daughter being aboard makes it a potential public interest case, I would ask around if anyone your know has a contact in the local broadcast media and see if you can get a reporter interested in an interview.  Film rolling of your destroyed V9 at the tow yard or wherever it is, with the interview sound bites voiced over.  Makes an impact.  Perhaps even your daughter saying something on camera about how the driver shouldn't have left-- that will peak public interest and increase the likelihood of both a more through police investigation as well as possible tips from the public. 

Good luck with it and very glad you are both okay.  As for the ass clown responsible, I hope he comes forward or if not, then runs from the police and they release a K-9 to take him down.  He wants to run from the scene of the accident, then let him try to run from a rather athletic German Shepherd and see how that works out for him.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 07:17:09 PM by Bonaventure »

beetle

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2017, 07:13:38 PM »
The bike is just stuff. You and your daughter are irreplaceable. Glad you�re OK, and hope they catch the arsehole.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2017, 07:13:38 PM »

Offline dcardo021

• Gosling
    • moto guzzi
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2017, 07:30:55 PM »
El Paso PD likely has a dedicated H/R unit, and hopefully will take this on as a special interest case since it was car vs. motorcycle and the resulting elevated risk of serious bodily injury or death in such accidents. 

Your daughter being aboard makes it a potential public interest case, I would ask around if anyone your know has a contact in the local broadcast media and see if you can get a reporter interested in an interview.  Film rolling of your destroyed V9 at the tow yard or wherever it is, with the interview sound bites voiced over.  Makes an impact.  Perhaps even your daughter saying something on camera about how the driver shouldn't have left-- that will peak public interest and increase the likelihood of both a more through police investigation as well as possible tips from the public. 

Good luck with it and very glad you are both okay.  As for the ass clown responsible, I hope he comes forward or if not, then runs from the police and they release a K-9 to take him down.  He wants to run from the scene of the accident, then let him try to run from a rather athletic German Shepherd and see how that works out for him.
Would love see a Shepard wasting on him!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2017, 08:58:18 PM »

Good idea. {Pedant mode ON} That word in this context is "pique" by the way {Pedant mode OFF}

Some of my favorite COPS footage.   There'll be some berserker whacked out of his mind on drugs, out in the middle of the street shirtless with a knife, screaming for the cops to come and get him so he can kill ALL of them, come get me you #####s .... and then they turn the dog loose.   Next move is generally the bad guy dropping his knife, and running and squealing like a little girl as the dog grabs his arm and takes him down .... !

Probably won't be the outcome here though.   Guy's long gone, I'll bet.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2017, 10:09:39 PM »
Another example of why I avoid riding at night.  :cry:

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2017, 12:06:42 AM »
Glad you and your daughter are OK.  Sounds like you were alert to the situation and controlled it admirably. The dirtbag that ran off has dropped himself in the sewer of society and can never comeback. He will die of self infection and disease. If they get him - and they probably will - he might have a chance to pay you back and clean himself off a little. 

Best wishes for a full recovery for your daughter and you. (and a new bike!)
1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Offline Socalrob

• Gosling
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2017, 01:38:37 AM »
To the OP, fantastic that you and daughter survived relatively unscathed.  That is all that matters.

But it would be extremely satisfying if they catch that FF who hit and ran.

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2017, 08:03:11 AM »
Oh man.  Glad you and your daughter got out of that in pretty decent shape.  With whiplash, you'll likely feel it for a bit yet but walking away is a beautiful thing.

I have very fond memories of riding with my grandad on his full dress harley when I was about your daughter's age.  Had a blast and wouldn't trade it for the world.  Not only because I loved the experience but also I got to spend time with my grandad.  Don't feel guilty for sharing something you love with your kids. 

Offline stevet

• Gaggle Hero
  • What would Mr. Happy Puppet do?
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2017, 10:11:20 AM »

I see people today riding in shorts and sandals, but the roads are so much more crowded than they were back then.

Sorry to read of your accident, I hope recovery is quick and full.

Regarding unsafe riding gear, Google search the term "motorcycle accidents sandals", then near the top of the results page click the Images tab.  Nothing but aftermath photos of what used to be feet after pavement turned them to ground beef.  Sickening photos.

Below ankle shoes of any kind are not much better.  Nor are pull-on cowboy or engineer boots, which can disappear from your feet in a tumble.  Secure fitting over-the-ankle boots (buckle or lace secured, and keeping laces secured themselves to avoid tangling with foot levers) are the only way to go.

Steve.
Steve T.
Twin Cities, MN
Sophia, '16 Moto Guzzi V7 II Stone
Feejer, '10 Yamaha FJR
"Il Viaggiatore", The Traveler. A.K.A. Via. 2017 FIAT 124 Spider Classica

"What we do during our working hours determines what we have; what we do during our leisure hours determines what we are."
-George Eastman.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2017, 02:19:45 PM »
I am pleased you two made it out alive, other than the whiplash reasonably unscathed. I really don't know how that was after looking at the bike photos! :shocked:

I think Pete summed up how most feel.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

bpreynolds

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2017, 05:57:38 AM »
OMG.  When seeing the pics of the bike, so amazing and fantastic that you both were basically unharmed.  That is cause for no small measure of celebration. 

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2017, 06:02:38 PM »
I think about how we rode in the late 60's and 70's with very minimal protection protection. T-shirts, Jean jackets, combat boots, gloves if cold. But bikes were slower but handled much worse. Stopping power...joke!

Some of us rode with other minimal protection.  I wore a heavy Bates Jacket, Chippewa motorcycle police boots, Shoi ZG and heavy motorcycle gauntlets unfortunately I wore black nylon slacks to work.  I was working at a bar at the time

The Bates and chippewa's saved me many times.  The Shoi I had to replace.

Never hit by a car though.

My youngest son can wear the old Bates.  I really "outgrew" it in the last decade.

I always knew I'd take tumbles when I first started riding. 

As a father I'm very thankful you're daughter didn't get hurt.

Mark
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline Rusty goose

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2017, 10:49:13 PM »
Wow, I'm glad to hear you both are still around. Scary stuff how fast it all happens. Karma will take care of that suck-egg...
Rusty
" A situation is never so bad that it can't get just a little bit worse."

Offline Chesterfield

• Hatchling
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2017, 11:13:05 PM »
Carrying a 10 year old daughter on a motorcycle is serious lack of judgement. Glad you are OK, but it`s close to reckless endangerment of someone who is under your protection as a mature adult
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 11:15:24 PM by Chesterfield »

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2017, 12:03:56 AM »
^ I encouraged son #2 to go to Afghanistan and fight the Taliban. Check out “Restreppo.” That’s my son, the mortarman with the pirate ship tattooed on his left forearm. 300 fire fights in less than a year at the tip of the spear in the Korenghal Valley.

Life is full of decisions, choices, judgments... I decided to ride 300 miles today. I am blessed/fortunate/lucky to be alive. So is my son.

If I had a 10-year-old daughter, I would happily allow her to ride behind me on my Norge or Vespa and share the joy of riding.
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Online Calculon

• Hatchling
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2017, 12:44:23 AM »
Carrying a 10 year old daughter on a motorcycle is serious lack of judgement.

More than smoking Chesterfields?  You can't take all the risk out of life, so if you enjoy it, it's worth the slight increase in risk.  The vast majority of rides end without incident and bring much pleasure to those who partake, which must be weighed against the small number who get hurt.

Very happy all is relatively well.  My guess would be they were on their cellphone.
2015 Honda Forza 300 ABS

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2017, 05:26:09 AM »
Carrying a 10 year old daughter on a motorcycle is serious lack of judgement. Glad you are OK, but it`s close to reckless endangerment of someone who is under your protection as a mature adult
That's obnoxious.

I wonder what's "safer" riding with Dad or:

* Driving with a new teen behind the wheel
* Lack of car or booster seat for children
* Trampolines
* Skiing/snowboarding
* Playing team sports (read up on soccer and concussion injuries)
* Living a sedentary life (obesity)

Life is full of choices, risks, and rewards.

But there are FAR worse choices people as parents make every day.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2017, 06:54:25 AM »
That's obnoxious.

I wonder what's "safer" riding with Dad or:

* Driving with a new teen behind the wheel
* Lack of car or booster seat for children
* Trampolines
* Skiing/snowboarding
* Playing team sports (read up on soccer and concussion injuries)
* Living a sedentary life (obesity)

Life is full of choices, risks, and rewards.

But there are FAR worse choices people as parents make every day.

:1: :1:
My Dad let me and my siblings drive a farm tractor  at age 10, Among my fondness memories of being a kid. I'm glad the OP and daughter are ok,and can see no error in judgement from my perspective.
And as far as the coward who left the scene, what goes around comes around.  :copcar:

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2017, 07:42:31 AM »
No advice or invective , simply very glad you are both alright . Let's hope they catch the driver .

Dusty

Hear Hear.

hopefully your daughter's takeaway is that prudent application of available safety devices works, and driving a cage (or anything) is serious business.
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2017, 10:39:14 AM »

Judgmental crap.

I taught my daughter to ski when she was four, and to ride a bike at five. Rock climbing at seven. She began riding pillion with me as soon as she could reach the passenger pegs, and loved it. Her only broken bone came playing basketball at 12. At every step she learned and internalized the safety rules. Today, at 27, she's one of the strongest skiers at Jackson Hole, a hard-core rock climber in the Tetons, has traveled around the world on her own as a freelance photographer, and in general is the toughest, cheeriest, most self-confident person I know.

Coddling kids does them no favors.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 10:39:59 AM by Testarossa »
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline dcardo021

• Gosling
    • moto guzzi
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2017, 11:58:04 AM »
Judgmental crap.

I taught my daughter to ski when she was four, and to ride a bike at five. Rock climbing at seven. She began riding pillion with me as soon as she could reach the passenger pegs, and loved it. Her only broken bone came playing basketball at 12. At every step she learned and internalized the safety rules. Today, at 27, she's one of the strongest skiers at Jackson Hole, a hard-core rock climber in the Tetons, has traveled around the world on her own as a freelance photographer, and in general is the toughest, cheeriest, most self-confident person I know.

Coddling kids does them no favors.
Thank you for your support all my kids ride motorcycles, including the 10 year old. Started with my son at 6. I have 8 kids. 12 grandkids that we are starting in the dirt. Self confidence and pose. Never seen a generation gap among kids who ride with parents.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here