Author Topic: A Rant for Christmas  (Read 4849 times)

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
Re: A Rant for Christmas
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2017, 09:32:46 AM »
It’s easy for me to not fall into any of the TRAPS involved in the Christmas season. I just st keep the real meaning front and center.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2017, 09:39:07 AM »
:1: Around here, the everchanging road condition update signs are displaying "Join the rebellion, use your signal!".
 :thewife: When my kids hit driving age I'm positive that my near constant ranting whilst driving will be so burned into their soul that they will use blinkers if they're even considering a lane change/turn!  This, along with proper lane choice, 4 way stop/traffic round etiquette, and watching for the ever vulnerable two/three wheelers should make them polite users of our highways and byways. 

In 46 years of driving, I've never been involved in an automobile crash, fender bender, or even dented one, because I was taught well.

When my boys came along, I started teaching them early.   It was Driving Boot Camp ... I told them "You will brake when I do, you will take the same line through turns that I do, you will drive the same speeds I do.   If I'm riding with you and my foot reaches for the brake pedal on the passenger's side out of reflex, then you are Following Too Closely or not braking soon enough, and I'll drive the rest of the way ...."

It's worked, because they've been driving 31 years aggregate between the two of them, and neither one of them has dented a car or been hit by anyone.

You can always unavoidably be crashed into by someone you can't possibly avoid, like you sitting at a light, but you can lower the odds in your favor a LOT with proper training and attitude!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2017, 04:58:37 PM »
Not much to rant about here either in SW Florida. If I were back in Minnesota I would be crabbing about the snow and cold and why no one slows down on slippery roads. The only drawback of being here is that there is no Grain Belt beer to be found. Guess I will have to survive on Yuengling instead.
Merry Christmas to all and a Happy and safe New Year.

Earl

Never fear Earl, UPS or USPS can and will deliver. The two years I had the privilege of Xmas in USAF at RAF Lakenheath UK my mother sent me twelve pacs of Grain Belt. If you get desprate send up a flare. I think I saw Nord East on sale. Or maybe that was Spotted Cow in Wisconsin.
07 Norge, 05 Baby Breva, 04 Stone  Touring , 03 EV, 82 650 Maxim 79 XS750 Special 78XS1100 Teraplane side car

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2017, 05:19:34 PM »
We live out in the country and buy quite a bit online. Our UPS driver is at least in his upper 50s I would guess. I always go out to meet the driver to save him some time and steps, same with the mail gal. The UPS guy always seems upbeat even though we are close to the end of his route and he always has excellent classic rock playing on a bungie corded old boom box. :thumb:  He the the mail gal will be getting some homemade pepper nuts.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2017, 05:19:34 PM »

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2017, 07:26:50 PM »
I think our mail guy is getting a bottle of wine.  It's up to the "Boss".   :grin:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2017, 07:48:43 PM »

Middle lane drivers:- I could save this country billions of pounds not building 3 lane motorways given that SO many people sit in the middle lane 1MPH under the speed limit and not on the inside lane where the law says they should be

Grrrr -  MERRY CHRISTMAS

In my area there are only middle lanes when around larger cities.  I was always told the middle lane is for the through drivers who don't want to speed in the left lane and are leaving the inside lane open to mergers and departers.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2017, 01:18:23 PM »
getting the place ready for the family coming over for Dirty Santa around 4.   :wink:

Heating up the Chili Verde.  :drool: 

Fireplace and Christmas Lights on.  Got the music out: Nat, Jingle Bell Rock, BB King, Elvis, Bing and playing Brian Setzer now.....next will make a batch of Bloody Marys.... :boozing:

rant on.     :grin:

Merry Christmas     :thumb:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2017, 01:19:52 PM »
Rant on?

ok

I just discovered that among my sister's dog's multitude of sins, the damn thing doesn't like snow, either.  What kind of dog doesn't like to go for a ride, won't fetch, thinks mice are cute, shits on the rug ON PURPOSE, puts it where the people walk if you force him outside, will only respond to input that has food attached, AND HATES SNOW?   :thewife: :violent1: :whip2: :evil: :evil: :shocked: :boxing: :angry: :Beating_A_Dead_Hors e_by_liviu :Beating_A_Dead_Hors e_by_liviu :violent1: :thewife:

oldbike54

« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2017, 01:21:56 PM »
 ^^^

A smart dog ?

Dusty

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2017, 01:31:29 PM »
We're not talking okie dogs.   :rolleyes:

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2017, 01:37:22 PM »

What kind of dog doesn't like to go for a ride, won't fetch, thinks mice are cute, shits on the rug ON PURPOSE, puts it where the people walk if you force him outside, will only respond to input that has food attached, AND HATES SNOW?   

An ill-conditioned, untrained, unhappy dog that's never been told by its master (in language he can understand) what its master expects of it?

Our Jack is never happier than when he knows he's doing what you want and expect him to do, whether it's waiting quietly in his pen for our return, or running stray dogs off the place, or guarding the garden at night, or letting us know someone is coming up the driveway, or playing tug with his rope toy, or putting his toys away in his box when we ask him, or doing a good "potty" down inside the edge of the woods, or "heeling" as we walk down the street ....

Lannis

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2017, 01:44:25 PM »
An ill-conditioned, untrained, unhappy dog that's never been told by its master (in language he can understand) what its master expects of it?

Our Jack is never happier than when he knows he's doing what you want and expect him to do, whether it's waiting quietly in his pen for our return, or running stray dogs off the place, or guarding the garden at night, or letting us know someone is coming up the driveway, or playing tug with his rope toy, or putting his toys away in his box when we ask him, or doing a good "potty" down inside the edge of the woods, or "heeling" as we walk down the street ....

Lannis
Jack Russel Terrier ?

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2017, 01:51:49 PM »
Going out to mow the grass.
Feels like it was 2 days ago that you last had to do it.
No fuel in the Victa, none in the tin.
Siphon some from the Mk 2 and drink a teaspoon full.
Spill a cup full on the tank, drop the cap and it rolls 10 feet under the bench where I can't get to it.
Chuck the juice in the mower and give the starter a pull, cord breaks and whack my knuckles on the wall.
Shove the mower back under the house and then get asked..
"Aren't you doing the lawns today ? Mum's coming around, they look tatty"...
 :thewife:
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 01:54:30 PM by Huzo »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2017, 01:57:21 PM »
Jack Russel Terrier ?

I like Jack Russels, but nope, Jack�s a Border Collie, the bestest one ever �

When he was 12 weeks old �

8 years later �

A really great companion and family member.   Spends about half the night at the foot of our bed, and the rest of the night outside, patrolling the place.   Hard to imagine living with a dog that was �hard to live with�, tearing things up, pooping everywhere, annoying people.   Why would anyone let themselves in for that �. ?

Lannis
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 02:13:05 PM by Lannis »

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2017, 02:01:04 PM »
 :1: on the training.  In some parts of the world, that dog would be an alternative protein source.  It's not doing the job of a "dog".  Unfortunately, it's more like livestock.  :tongue:  IMHO.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2017, 02:02:20 PM »
Jeez Lannis, he's absolutely gorgeous !
Hats off to you for your input to him, he looks happy.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2017, 02:12:14 PM »
:1: on the training.  In some parts of the world, that dog would be an alternative protein source.  It's not doing the job of a "dog".  Unfortunately, it's more like livestock.  :tongue:  IMHO.

Shows how different cultures can be.

Like horses.   In Europe, horses were owned by the nobility and used to oppress the commoners, so it became no problem for regular people to kill and eat horses - they were just tools of the people beating them up.

In America, most people, even poor formers, owned horses.    They were companions and helpers and pets, and people established relationships with them.   VERY few people here in the US will stomach killing and eating horses.

Or dogs.   The relationship between man and dog is different in the West and East of the world ....

Lannis

oldbike54

« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2017, 02:19:38 PM »
 Then you have the dog who lives at this house . We call him the Tri-Terrier of Doom , about 25 lbs  highly independent , has his own agenda . He came from up the street , he didn't want to share a yard with pit bulls , so he didn't . He basically lived an independent life for a couple of years , charmed the neighbors and a local cafe into feeding him , and caught the occasional rabbit or squirrel to supplement his diet . We don't put forth too much effort controlling him , other than making him come in at night and during the hours when deliveries are being made ( 10 AM until about 1 PM) . He has more than once placed himself between a stranger and the kids who live on this block , and in no uncertain terms has made it clear that any attempt to get any nearer said kids would be met with force . In return , he has a place of honor among all of the neighbors . Yeah , he is a giant pain in the butt , however his willingness to protect our entire hood , and the way he interacts with anyone he considers a friend earns him some real respect . Fortunately he has good doggie manners , kind of like some Guzzi riders I know  :grin:

Dusty

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2017, 02:50:30 PM »
Shows how different cultures can be.

Like horses.   In Europe, horses were owned by the nobility and used to oppress the commoners, so it became no problem for regular people to kill and eat horses - they were just tools of the people beating them up.

In America, most people, even poor formers, owned horses.    They were companions and helpers and pets, and people established relationships with them.   VERY few people here in the US will stomach killing and eating horses.

Or dogs.   The relationship between man and dog is different in the West and East of the world ....

Lannis

Cute dog.  My neighbor gave me one when I still lived on Oahu.  It loved the rain.   :grin:

The ancient Hawaiians brought dogs with them.  They were kept and raised with the pigs and got the same food.  Vegetarian.  Some were kept for guard duty.  Most were livestock.  No horses.  No cows.  They were brought in later.  Of course, since Hawaii is a state some practices are not done now.  Beef is a cheaper source of animal protein.

Chinese, eat anything as long as it's cooked.  They don't care what color the dog is.

Filipinos, like black dogs.  Supposedly because of the perceived flavor.  I won't tale you how they prepped them for cooking.

U.S. soldiers ate the mules during WWII.  Just depends on the supply chain.   :tongue:

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2017, 05:53:41 AM »
Cute dog.  My neighbor gave me one when I still lived on Oahu.  It loved the rain.   :grin:

The ancient Hawaiians brought dogs with them.  They were kept and raised with the pigs and got the same food.  Vegetarian.  Some were kept for guard duty.  Most were livestock.  No horses.  No cows.  They were brought in later.  Of course, since Hawaii is a state some practices are not done now.  Beef is a cheaper source of animal protein.

Chinese, eat anything as long as it's cooked.  They don't care what color the dog is.

Filipinos, like black dogs.  Supposedly because of the perceived flavor.  I won't tale you how they prepped them for cooking.

U.S. soldiers ate the mules during WWII.  Just depends on the supply chain.   :tongue:

All you have to do is look at the way people live in those countries and you can understand why they eat just about anything.  It is that or starve.  No society safety nets like in 1st world countries.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2017, 07:06:16 AM »
Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2017, 11:51:49 AM »
What is that horse?  I forgot to mention that most of the Hawaiian dogs being raised as livestock evolved to be bark-less.   :shocked:

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here