Author Topic: I need cataract surgery. Any advice?  (Read 4645 times)

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
I need cataract surgery. Any advice?
« on: February 14, 2018, 11:43:54 PM »
Hello Folks, my vision has been getting progressively worse over the last few months to where I stopped driving at night, and now I am not driving at all, or  even riding any of my Guzzis.( Guzzi content  :grin:) As most of you know I had radiation for throat cancer the summer of 2015. I have also been getting hyperbaric oxygen treatments or "dives" as they call it after dental complications /multiple extractions due to radiation caused damage.I have done 21 "dives" over the last 5 weeks, and have 9 more to go.
Apparently both the radiation, and hyperbaric oxygen can cause or exacerbate existing cataracts, and today the eye doctor said I have very advanced cataracts....heck I could not even see the huge " E" at the top of the eye chart with my glasses on!
The plan is surgery with intra ocular lens ( IOL)implant. they wont do both eyes at the same time, but about 3 weeks apart, and I have to choose between different IOL implants , some for distance vision, or some to correct astigmatism that cost $2400. more out of pocket, etc.
 Unfortunately,they cant get me in for surgery until april, so I have some time to review all options, etc.
I come here for advice on everything from smoking meat to shimming a 5 speed tranny, and the advice  on many subjects from our diverse group is always excellent.
What can you folks tell me about your experience, suggestions, advice, anything to watch out for, ect.as always,
 Very much appreciated
Rick.

"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
Re: I need cataract surgery. Any advice?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 12:30:19 AM »
They can put various strength lenses in your eyes. I would suggest you get them both set to a similiar strength. I have had both eyes done now. One about 15 years ago, one over recent  Christmas holiday. The newer lens in my left eye is close to 20/20, without correction, at distance. It has a focal length of about 24 inches for close up work. The other eye can focus much closer in. This means I need my glasses on to do benchwork or use a computer. My brain has still not "caught on", and now I have to change the way I do my job, read, etc. Since they are doing both of yours in a relatively short time, you might adjust better to having both eyes working about the same. I do have inner ear troubles that cause dizzyness, so the differing lenses may affect me more than others, as some of my trouble is triggered visually. Free advice, worth every penny. Good luck!
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 12:35:25 AM »
I had both eyes done about six years apart with Toric lenses to correct nearsightedness and a slight astigmatism.  As a result, I now have 20/15 vision in both eyes, but I need glasses to be able to read the computer screen or anything closer.

It's a compromise, but 90% of the time I can get along without glasses, and the glasses I need are less than $10 at the pharmacy or grocery store.
1990 MilleGT

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 05:21:14 AM »
 I get my right eye done next week, then the  left eye later....one eye is near sighted ,the other far sighted...The doctor recommended a mono lens and a Lasek type procedure for the best results in my case. Using reading glasses are not an issue for me...Every situation is different, if you trust the doctor take his/her advice..Cost me 1250 bucks per eye beyond what Medicare pays for...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 05:22:40 AM by Rough Edge racing »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 05:21:14 AM »

Offline webmost

• Gosling
  • Safety Third
    • The Sotweed Factor
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 06:04:53 AM »
This is the quickest, easiest, most instantly effective surgery you will ever get in your entire life. I timed the lady in the curtained cubicle beside me. From the time they rolled her down the hall until the time they rolled her back & fetched me was ten minutes. Truth. I have taken more time digging out a splinter. On the way home, we stopped for late breakfast cause I was famished. Tested out the eye -- clear as a freaking clear ass bell. Just like that. All that butterscotch color everything instantly gone. Terrific.

Here's a couple caveats they don''t tell you about:

Lotta people get wet eyes. My right took years to stop running. Don't matter ... worth it.

A few people get double vision. The lens doesn't always stay exactly planted where they first set it, so it can wander as it heals in. That's a pain in the azz. I'm going the 26th to see what they can do to reset it.

Otherwise ... It's magic!
Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 07:16:06 AM »
My father-in-law had both eyes done within the last year and a half and is thrilled with the outcome!  He was unable to drive in the dark and now has no issues.  My mom-in-law has macular problems, so I don't think this is an option, or she would have done it already.   

I had laser surgery for extreme nearsightedness 14 years ago and my vision was 20/20 for about 12 of those.  I now need OTC reading glasses, but my distance is still so close to perfect that glasses aren't worth the trouble.  If the time comes to replace my lenses, I won't hesitate to have it done.     
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 08:31:12 AM »
I had both eyes done about six years apart with Toric lenses to correct nearsightedness and a slight astigmatism.  As a result, I now have 20/15 vision in both eyes, but I need glasses to be able to read the computer screen or anything closer.

It's a compromise, but 90% of the time I can get along without glasses, and the glasses I need are less than $10 at the pharmacy or grocery store.
I had similar surgery, choosing  Toric lenses instead of standard, to eliminate astigmatism.  I see my ophthalmologist in about a month, so I'll see if I need to add glasses at this time.   Mine have been in place since 2009, and my vision today isn't quite as good as it was when first installed, but I was advised at the time that I might have to add glasses at a later date.  The Toric lenses cost came out of pocket (your insurance may vary) and the surgery is slightly different, in that the Toric lenses must be anchored in place so there is no movement (lens rotation) since in my case the goals included eliminating astigmatism.

I could've chosen the 'monovision' approach, but didn't.  (one lens for closeup work, the other for distance.) I chose 'good distance vision for both eyes, and use 'cheaters' for reading and computer use.  Mildly inconvenient, but I personally wanted good distance vision in both eyes.

Had my work done at Cole Eye Institute, part of the Cleveland Clinic.

Bob

EDIT:  there is also a 'cleanup' procedure using laser that can be performed after cataract surgery, if vision becomes hazy.  This can happen in a matter of months, or longer, perhaps a matter of years after the initial surgery.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 04:53:24 PM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 08:55:45 AM »
WG actually has an eye doctor one step away at Kev m's house.   She'd probably say "Find an eye doctor you trust .... "!   That's what I would do ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 09:04:52 AM »
My father had this procedure. In addition to the correction he was able to achieve, he also reported that his vision was brighter and colors were more vivid. Best of luck to you, Rick.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 09:20:04 AM »
I've always worn glasses since the first grade, my left eye is nearsighted (my strong eye) and my right is farsighted.  I was talked into getting a cataract lens in my right eye.  They told me there was a new lens (Crystalens) that would allow full focussing and would improve my vision to 20/30.

In my case, I did get 20/30 vision and for the first time my life I could drive and swim without glasses.  I don't recommend it but I could get by without glasses (until the double vision makes it too hard for me to concentrate).  The big deal was being able to swim and see.   And my "weak eye" is now stronger than my left eye.

But the $3000 I spent for the Crystalens didn't really work.  I am still farsighted in my right eye.  So for a few hundred bucks I would have been just as well off as spending big bucks.

Now in my case, it took me two weeks for the eye to stabilize.  It was changing every day. I actually had two glasses prescriptions in two weeks just so I could function.  And the strange part is the white balance.  My new eye sees much "whiter" than my old eye which has yellow tint.  Together they work. 

They want me to get my left eye done.  I am reluctant.  The end result was worth it but considering the risks and the difficult transition,I don't want to do it for now.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline trippah

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 10:03:26 AM »
Had my lenses done a few years back, bout a 3 week interval.  First time I didn't even know it had been done, was still waiting for the surgery when they rolled me back into the recovery.
I went for distance vision correction, and having worn glasses since 7th grade, I still wear progressive glasses with no distance correction but reading correction.  Mono vision as my wife has is difficult for some to get with.....; and I chose not to have to put on (carry with me in my pocket reading glass), having them on my face makes it easier.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 10:10:17 AM »
I had bifocal implants in both eyes several years ago. Over a period of time, my vision began to decay a bit and had Lasic. The doc said, "this won't last forever." I said, "I don't have forever.."  :grin:
I'm back to 20-15 close and 20-20 distant. Don't need glasses, but... there is an area from about 18" to 36" that isn't *quite* in focus. No big deal, really, and pretty amazing when you think about it.
Mother's dad died in his 90s and was blind. No doubt, just cataracts. Mother had cataract surgery and coke bottle glasses..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline gvw

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 10:11:09 AM »
The eye doc I see here is getting both lenses in his eyes replaced at the same time - I thought he said trifocal implant  - he said it is that good now.

In case someone else here has the same thing, I went from Florida to Canada and had some eye surgery late last year for a condition in my left eye called Keratoconus - a bulging due to a weakness in the cornea. Could read the big letter on the top on a good day but my other eye is 20/20 so got by fine without glasses.  Was always told to hope it did not worsen as the worst case was a corneal transplant.  I have had bad vision in that eye for near 30 years and was not aware they could correct it now so if you have something similar go and visit your eye doc.

As the operation was just FDA approved in the US, I figured I would go to Canada where they have been doing the operation for 10 years - better a surgeon who had done thousands than one here who was in his first 50 operations.  Unlike Lasik, they don't peel back a flap and then do the laser and then put the flap back over with little pain and instant results.  They remove the top layer completely, do the laser and then apply Riboflavin and UV light for a few minutes which causes collagen crosslinking strengthening the cornea to stop it progressing.   It has to heal back and was out of this world painful for a day or two but I went from 20/200 to 20/25 in that eye. 

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2018, 01:58:41 PM »
Hi Folks, Thanks for all the very informative responses. I feel alot more relaxed going through this, after "seeing" that this surgery is just short of Magical!
The info you all gave me will help me make the right choices as to what lens to get implanted, etc.
At this point I am really looking forward to getting the surgery done. I am going to try and get both eyes done at the same visit, if they will do it that way.
thanks again,
Rick.

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2018, 02:27:37 PM »
Hi Folks, Thanks for all the very informative responses. I feel alot more relaxed going through this, after "seeing" that this surgery is just short of Magical!
The info you all gave me will help me make the right choices as to what lens to get implanted, etc.
At this point I am really looking forward to getting the surgery done. I am going to try and get both eyes done at the same visit, if they will do it that way.
thanks again,
Rick.
Your doc may not choose to do both eyes at the same time, although things could have changed since I had cataract surgery 9 years or so ago.  I recall my doc had suggested a 2 week interval, I asked if we could do a week apart, and I think that's what we ended up doing.
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline jdgretz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Proud Owner of a Red Norge
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2018, 03:26:06 PM »
Great discussion, and I'm following along.  I was told last year by my Ophthalmologist that I have a cataract beginning in my left eye.  I've been wearing glasses for the last 40 years, so continuing to wear them with a different prescription is not a big deal for me.

My question to my (soon to be chosen) eye doctor is, should I wait until it becomes a real issue or can I have it done now?

Besides riding motorcycles, I'm also a photographer, so I'm a bit concerned, although having the cataract in my left eye is probably less of an issue than if it was in my right one.

Keep the advice and updated coming.

jdg
2007 Norge Sophia The Fast Red One
1999 Honda Helix - Zippy
2008 Honda Goldwing

Offline centauro

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2018, 03:54:02 PM »
I had both eyes done last year, with custom made lens implanted. The surgery is completely painless and it only takes 15 minutes per eye.
 I am now at 20/20, and only use reader glasses (+1.5) for the really small print. In true Guzzisti cheapness spirit, they only cost $10 for 3 pairs at the Dollar store!

Go for it!
Val Barone
1984 1000 SP/NT (sold)
1973 Benelli 650S Tornado (sold)
1985 Vespa PX150E
1973 Honda CB 350 Four

Learn from other's mistakes ; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.  Eleanor Roosevelt

Moto

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2018, 04:34:33 PM »
I've had mine done, and my equally old sister has too.

She had one eye done short-focus and one distant, and seems to love the result. I wonder if I should have done the same.

My corrected vision is 20/20 in both eyes, but this is a disappointment since 20/15 is what good, young eyes should be and what mine once were. The amount of correction that new lenses should incorporate is hard to determine since it depends on the shape and density (I suppose) of the cornea which lies above the lens. My doctor didn't get it quite right. I recommend doing your non-dominant eye first, and then discussing how it went with your doctor, before doing the other one. If I had thought about it I might have sought information about the correlation of cornea thickness between left and right eyes, and in any event I would have suggested modifying the calculated correction for the second to account for the deficiency in the lens for the first eye. Hope this makes sense.

I'm dissatisfied with glasses that I find myself wearing. I have progressive lenses for everyday use, but they aren't satisfactory for reading texts since the in-focus area is so narrow up close. I also have various fixed-focus and bifocals, but I don't like the very limited range of focus in them -- I feel like I have to hold things at a particular number of inches away to get good results, and this is a real pain.

Good luck. I don't know what to suggest except getting younger, but I don't know how.

Moto

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2018, 04:56:47 PM »
.. and my equally old sister has too.

In the interest of word conservation, don't we usually shorten "equally old" to "twin"?    :wink:   :laugh: 

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2018, 05:26:30 PM »
I had both eyes done last year, with custom made lens implanted. The surgery is completely painless and it only takes 15 minutes per eye.
 I am now at 20/20, and only use reader glasses (+1.5) for the really small print. In true Guzzisti cheapness spirit, they only cost $10 for 3 pairs at the Dollar store!

Go for it!

Reading posts like this one gets me real excited to get this done as soon as possible. Very encouraging!
Thanks, Centauro.
Moto, thats good advice to get my non dominant eye done first. After thinking it over, I think it may be foolish to try and push for having both eyes done the same day.
thank you Sir!
Rick.

Moto

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2018, 05:32:28 PM »
In the interest of word conservation, don't we usually shorten "equally old" to "twin"?    :wink:   :laugh: 

Lannis

Nah, in this case it was wishful thinking or removal of unnecessary detail. She's a year younger.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2018, 05:32:58 PM »
Reading posts like this one gets me real excited to get this done as soon as possible. Very encouraging!
Thanks, Centauro.
Moto, thats good advice to get my non dominant eye done first. After thinking it over, I think it may be foolish to try and push for having both eyes done the same day.
thank you Sir!
Rick.

That's what I did, too.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2018, 05:35:57 PM »
  I'm getting the non dominant eye done first in two weeks.....I told him want depth perception with out corrective lens for distance, you know, bike rider. The Doc races sport cars , he fully understood..

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2018, 06:13:54 PM »
I'm legally blind w/o lenses(near sighted) and wore hard contacts (gas permeable) for years but finally in my late 40's my eyes  began to change their accuracy.  A hard contact changes the shape of your eye so you see correctly and the contact forms a mote around your eyeball where the contact resides.  So it sounds like this cataract operation puts a lense under your pupil/skin of your eyeball versus a contact like I wore on top of it.  :huh:  With glasses the best I can see is 20/30 vs. 20/20 w/contacts.  I have a partial cataract in my left eye and my long distance focus now is worse.  For years now I've worn glasses getting tired of dealing w/contacts & riding a MC.

Moto

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2018, 09:02:05 PM »
I'm legally blind w/o lenses(near sighted) and wore hard contacts (gas permeable) for years but finally in my late 40's my eyes  began to change their accuracy.  A hard contact changes the shape of your eye so you see correctly and the contact forms a mote around your eyeball where the contact resides.  So it sounds like this cataract operation puts a lense under your pupil/skin of your eyeball versus a contact like I wore on top of it.  :huh:  With glasses the best I can see is 20/30 vs. 20/20 w/contacts.  I have a partial cataract in my left eye and my long distance focus now is worse.  For years now I've worn glasses getting tired of dealing w/contacts & riding a MC.

Yes, cataract surgery removes your cloudy lens and replaces it with an artificial one of the right focal length for your desired use, say long-distance vision. You'd need glasses for close up work. Sounds like what you'd want.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 09:03:33 PM by Moto »

Offline stonelover

• Gosling
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2018, 09:49:44 AM »
Rick, You'll be glad to get the cataracts gone.  Great vision improvement!  Be aware that the risk of retina detachment is increased after surgery.  Be attentive to any post surgical anomalies such as increased floater activity, light flashes or an "oil on water" impression.  My right retina did detach a few years after surgery, but was successfully reattached by a retina specialist.  Very happy without cataracts.

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2018, 01:47:22 PM »
The replacement lenses have serial #'s.  If needed, they can do an autopsy on you and determine who you are.   :grin:    Added benefit  :shocked:  Got it done.  One eye at a time.  The cataracts were from working outside on the airport ramp area plus Kona is sunny all the time.  Insurance covered everything. 

3 options.  Bi-focal, long distance and near sighted.  I chose near sighted lenses because reading was way more important than the distance.  I heard the bi-focal would cause headaches.  If needed I can wear glasses for distance.  Turns out my distance vision is decent.  I can drive and ride without wearing glasses.

After having the left eye done first, I was able to read aspirin bottles.  The right eye done completed my vision "repair".  I always wear sunglasses outside.   :thumb:

The doc that did the work did his residency at Walter Reed hospital and got favorable reviews.  This I don't get.  I had to strip and put on the hospital gown.  2nd eye.  I could leave my undies on and my socks.  :grin:

I was half asleep when they started the procedure.  1st patient of the day with the eye lids totally open.  Woke up when he started.  All I could think was "That's a nice shade of fuschia.  Wait, WTF....oh that's blood."   :grin:  It is possible to sleep with your eye totally open.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2018, 02:19:18 PM »
Lots of great info ,Folks! Tom, the last paragraph about being "asleep", with your eyes open, and seeing whats going on sounds kinda crazy!  Man,I hope I am mostly asleep through the whole thing, but I am more than ready to get it done asap.
I remember when my mother had hers done over 20 years ago, they made a VHS video to document the whole procedure, through the microscope they use, and they gave Mom a personal copy. Did any of you guys get a video like that?
Rick.

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2018, 03:37:26 PM »
I got the vid running in my head.  :grin:  Left and right.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2018, 04:51:49 PM »
I got the vid running in my head.  :grin:  Left and right.

Wow Tom, you had the same experience with both eyes? I thought the anesthetist let you get a little "light" on the sedation, and you woke up a bit.Its weird that it happened twice.
I will be sure to tell them that I have taken meds for pain for many years, and have developed a tolerance ..."please anesthetize me like they are doing a horse!"
Rick.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here