Author Topic: Suzuki bergman vs Moto guzzi convert  (Read 5770 times)

Offline gearman

• Gaggle Hero
Suzuki bergman vs Moto guzzi convert
« on: August 14, 2018, 06:35:43 PM »
I am having balance issues and am wondering if a different ride would give me more confidence.The bergs are about the weight as the Guzzi but maybe the cg is lower on the berg.I have to have an automatic tranny.  Ideas?

Offline m13

• Gosling
Re: Suzuki bergman vs Moto guzzi convert
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 06:59:10 PM »
seriously not trying to seem mean but with balance issues, is any 2 wheeler safe? Having said that a Bergman is a good option.
Leonardtown, Maryland
'69 Manky V700
'60-something?(who really knows) Chang jiang 750

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PORS0y5exgY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B24-c-rJM_Q

Offline gearman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 07:05:51 PM »
You are not mean. I have been asking myself the same questions. Thats why I built the two trikes,but they really dont float my boat,  Thanks

Offline twodogs

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 07:11:54 PM »
Had both, the scooter is better.
2-2023 Yamaha TW200
2022 Triumph 850 sport

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 07:11:54 PM »

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 07:13:25 PM »
If you want to ride and not wrench,get the Burgman. Burgman will have better storage, easier mount/dismount,better options for any electronics  you may want.  Guzzi has better handling at speed, but not in the parking lot.  A 400cc  Burgman will run at about the same speed as the Connie. Burgman will have better weather protection.  You can park the Burgman for longer periods of time without clogging up the fuel system.
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 07:35:01 PM »
Even a old Bergman is a hunnerd years newer than a Connie. My bro in law has a Bergman as well as a Goldwing which he never rides now. I'm impressed at how well that little scooter keeps up and it's easy to ride. It's not for me though, I'm scared to death on it.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

oldbike54

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 08:06:42 PM »
 Piaggio MP ?

Dusty

Offline Guzzi relic

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 08:40:42 PM »
I'm a tech for a multi line dealership including Suzuki. The Burgmans give us very little trouble. But they are a supreme pain to do any repairs to just because of the body work. If you do your own maintenance invest in a shop manual. There is a sequence for removing the plastics and you just can't do it any other way. That said, they ask very little of the owner. I've only seen one engine failure and that was on a 400 with lots of miles, being ridden on the freeway in the heat.
The 400 has a lower seat height and is considerably lighter; two things that might be better for your situation. But the 650 is much more capable on the highway and is the only one to choose for two up if that's in your plans.
As far as c of g is concerned I've never sat on a Convert so I can't compare but if I were you I'd try to find someone with a Burgy that will let you take it for at least a short ride. Or even if you could straddle one off the stand. I'm 5-7, 30" inseam, 150lbs and 59 years old. I find the 650's a bit of a handful at low speeds.

Ken
I wonder where this goes?

1974 Eldorado
1976 Convert

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 08:51:26 PM »
If you like the motorcycle stance I would check out the Aprilia Mana. Not very heavy and pretty easy to work on.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

pete roper

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 09:13:06 PM »
If you like the motorcycle stance I would check out the Aprilia Mana. Not very heavy and pretty easy to work on.

Actually Steve they're as heavy as buggery! They just don't feel it particularly because the fuel is under your bum. In this case though I wouldn't recommend one for the simple reason their seat height is quite tall and it sounds as if the OP is looking for something low.

Pete

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 09:15:20 PM »
The 650 is more capable of a ride than the 400.  Lower cg for both.  Rode both and the 650 has the power edge for long distance and packing a passenger/groceries/camp gear.   :thumb:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Warren Rhen

• Hatchling
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2018, 01:04:22 AM »
Well for 14 years now I've always had a scooter in the garage with my motorcycles and actually end up putting more miles on the scoots. I started with a 600 silverwing but like the burgmans I didn't like all the bulk and my piaggio/vespa have been at least as reliable as anything Asian. However with balance issues I'd look at that tri-king or just get a Miata. That would be my choice.
Cheers,
Warren
16 Piaggio BV 350
86 Citroen 2CV6 Dolly
18 Dodge Charger R/T

Offline azccj

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2018, 03:05:28 AM »
I currently own a 2013 Burgman 650 that I bought new in 2014. The bike currently has 20k miles on it and was my daily commuter rain or shine, until I retired a couple of months ago. The only thing I've had to do on the bike were tires, and basic maintenance. It drives just as nice today as the day I drove it out of the dealership. It will do over 100 mph and smoke most cars in acceleration. I installed a large Givi top-box and that along with the large under seat storage, allow it to carry lots of stuff. I've often told folks if I could only own 1 bike it would be the Burgman, especially if I was just going to ride around town. Although I've ridden the Burg long distance on the interstate I find it a bit uncomfortable after about and hour, so I usually ride one of my other bikes when I go long distances. But when I need to run around town the Burg can't be beat.

Something to consider if you decide to get a Burgman and are trying to decide between 400 or 650. The 650 has a CVT that is much like what you'll find in a CVT car. The belt has metal links and is made to last pretty much the life of the scooter and the CVT is control by a computer. The 400 uses the typical scooter CVT rubber belt and weights, that need replacing after so many miles. So the 650 needs less maintenance, unless something fails inside the 650's CVT, at which point the bike nearly needs to be disassemble to remove the CVT to fix it.
Current Bikes
2022 MG V85TT Travel
2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
2019 Suzuki Vstrom 650XT Touring
2017 Honda African Twin DCT
2014 BMW F800GT
1972 Eldorado. Which someday I will restore.

Moto Guzzis now gone but not forgotten
2007 Norge
2003 V11 Le Mans
2000 Jackel
99 EV

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2018, 04:18:30 AM »
If your thinking burgman take a look at the Piaggo bv350....16" wheels, goes 90

>

It begins to make the burgman look a little frumpy w small wheels

Definitely my around town go to...I have 23k on a 250 version.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 04:22:36 AM by chuck peterson »
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2018, 04:53:34 AM »
Here you go...way overpriced. It'll sit there unsold. Everyone wants a burgman! Lol...

https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/mcy/d/2015-piaggio-bv350/6665036636.html

"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2018, 05:52:12 AM »
How about a tilting trike?
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline gearman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2018, 07:15:22 AM »
How about a tilting trike?
Is that an inside joke? :grin:

oldbike54

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2018, 07:43:22 AM »
 Maybe we should clarify the problem . Are you having balance or strength issues ? Maybe you should address whatever problem you are having instead of worrying about what type of motorbike will solve the issue , because no matter what type of 2 wheeler you choose won't really matter until you fix the underlying problem .

Dusty

Offline gearman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2018, 09:22:05 AM »
Maybe we should clarify the problem . Are you having balance or strength issues ? Maybe you should address whatever problem you are having instead of worrying about what type of motorbike will solve the issue , because no matter what type of 2 wheeler you choose won't really matter until you fix the underlying problem .

Dusty
You may be right.I have nph and had a shunt put in two years ago. It helped but I never was back to normal.My doc doesn't know whats wrong.The brain is a mystery to medicine for the most part.I AM 71 YO.

Offline rider33

• Gosling
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2018, 09:53:04 AM »
a lower COG matters, a lot, but so does absolute weight and as scooters go, Burgman�s tend to be on the heavy side.  You might want to look at the large frame Vespas.  I have the 200cc variant, it tops out at 75MPH and feels positively feathery compared to my V7 (which isn�t really heavy for a bike)
J1dpAz.jpg
"some journeys continue long after movement in time and space has ceased"  -Steinbeck

oldbike54

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2018, 10:03:43 AM »
 Fellas , I had some serious balance issues , it doesn't matter whether it is a MoPed or a Gold Wing , the motorcycle can't solve the problem .

Sorry Gearman , I know you really want to ride , and it is truly unfortunate that balance problems are preventing you from doing so , but until you get that problem sorted my best advice is stay away from anything that will fall over .

Dusty

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2018, 10:10:50 AM »
What Chuck P. said about the wheel size is why  I don't like the Bergman. the small wheels make it feel scary to me. probly get used to it, but its not for me. There is a lot that can be causing balance problems, maybe there are some adaptive techniques that can help you ride. don't quit but make sure you can do it safely
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2018, 10:59:55 AM »
Rider 33 , the Vespa and V7 look absolutely beautiful together. The Vespa in black sure looks stunning! :thumb:
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline Lee Bruns

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2018, 12:22:49 PM »
Mechanically the Burgman is excellent. But the seating position was a deal breaker for me. I just cant' do the 'foot forward' seating. Traditional scooter seating works better for me. Vespa!!

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2018, 12:31:20 PM »
A former Guzzi rider bought a 650 Burgman and ended up completing an iron butt on it when he in his upper 60s or so. He thought the seating was great. Each to their own.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2018, 01:01:17 PM »
Is that an inside joke? :grin:

Check it out.  http://www.tiltingmotorworks.com/

Also the new Yamaha   https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport-touring/models/niken

Just about any bike can be converted to automatic.

2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline gearman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2018, 04:19:37 PM »
Piaggio MP3 would cost less.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/PIAGGIO-MP3-500-SPORT-3-WHEEL-2018-MOTORCYCLE-SCOOTER-ABS-GREEN-585-MILES-MINT-/253807930990
I test rode this at a dealer. I hated it.It did not feel like a motorcycle to me.I could not get back to the dealer soon enough.But it maybe just be me. Fifty five years of bike riding.

Offline gearman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2018, 04:24:01 PM »
a lower COG matters, a lot, but so does absolute weight and as scooters go, Burgman�s tend to be on the heavy side.  You might want to look at the large frame Vespas.  I have the 200cc variant, it tops out at 75MPH and feels positively feathery compared to my V7 (which isn�t really heavy for a bike)
J1dpAz.jpg
Both rides are pretty. I have a friend who has a black 150 Vespa like yours. I rode it a few years ago. He tells me that he doesn't feel safe over 55mph.

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2018, 04:31:37 PM »
Three wheeler

I plan on going sidecar first then adult trike when I have to give up my license.

My biggest problem will be getting a leg over it and not forgetting how wide it is.

Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here