Author Topic: NGC/ poulan chainsaw carb adjustments  (Read 5499 times)

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
Re: NGC/ poulan chainsaw carb adjustments
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2018, 11:32:09 AM »
Come on now.   I have two Stihl saws and just bought a Stihl weedeater.   

I'm complaining about the gas caps (I'm the only one who's mentioned it so far) because they're a piece of nanny-state bullsh!t that have broken several times (it was actually a Stihl recall - my dealer replaced them for free with version 1.1) and which replaced very simple, very effective caps from the past.   Stihl owners in general, as well as the shop, complain about the things.

It's a problem these days.   If anyone presents a contrary opinion to one already expressed (like "Oh, what a beautiful chopper!" or "I really like this bike" and you say "Looks ugly to me"), then suddenly it's that you're peeing in someone's wheaties or being negative and there must be SOME reason why you're saying that.   I continue to buy Stihl stuff, but it's not perfect, and I'm pointing it out, not trying to "justify" anything ...  :violent1:

There, I've run rings 'round you logically ....

Lannis

Ok.

Then perhaps it's just me. Every piece of Stihl equipment I've ever owned (including the three pieces I bought this year) has had the slotted cap that requires a Skrench to get off... can't say I see it as a problem. Never had an issue, never needed to replace any of them.

As for the rest of your post ? Sure, you do you. "I've run rings around you logically"... whatever makes you feel good about yourself.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 11:32:28 AM by Toecutter »
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2018, 01:32:41 PM »
Ok.

Then perhaps it's just me. Every piece of Stihl equipment I've ever owned (including the three pieces I bought this year) has had the slotted cap that requires a Skrench to get off... can't say I see it as a problem. Never had an issue, never needed to replace any of them.

As for the rest of your post ? Sure, you do you. "I've run rings around you logically"... whatever makes you feel good about yourself.  :thumb:

The slotted cap that needs a Skrench to remove is now "the old kind" here, the good one that doesn't fail.

However, I expect that the country you live in is less litigious than the one I live in, and you can still get the old one.   We can't - it's now a tool-less "flip and lock" cap which isn't as effective.

So it's not just you; it's everyone around you!

And  ... well, watch this .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9bT4B1kEvc 

Not only do I waste brain cells memorizing "Mad Max" lines for every occasion, I use another set for Monty Python ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2018, 02:26:16 PM »
Well that would explain it, then. I've never seen this flippy cap thingy (had to do a search to see what the issue was)... which is not to say they aren't up here. I've just yet to see one. I think I picked up literally every damn brush saw Stihl makes... twice... early last summer, and not one of them has anything other than the standard slotted cap. Odd that I haven't seen them though... usually... where California goes, we follow (simply due to our small population... Canada just doesn't have the market clout that the U.S. has).

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2018, 03:08:51 PM »
Weird thread  :rolleyes:

Dusty
Naw, just weird reactions, lol. I was attempting to offer information as to how to tune and adjust carbs on chainsaws which our federal government has dictated we are too stupid to be given the option to adjust our own equipped. Lol, just hang on and enjoy the ride, we may all learn something for its over:)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2018, 03:08:51 PM »

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2018, 03:24:17 PM »
Naw, just weird reactions, lol. I was attempting to offer information as to how to tune and adjust carbs on chainsaws which our federal government has dictated we are too stupid to be given the option to adjust our own equipped. Lol, just hang on and enjoy the ride, we may all learn something for its over:)

While I understand the sentiment, and the (slight) outrage... one has to remember that EVERY law has been created due to the lowest common denominator. If nobody killed anyone by speeding... speed limits would never have been a necessity, as an example.

We've all seen what people do, in general, and given the opportunity. Sticking within the scope of environmental law... the *average* gearhead would burn 10 litres of gas per km if the price was right and they were allowed to, if it meant "more power, more noise, more BALLS!". So, yeah... Those of use who wish to tinker and tune and make sure things run right find it all very silly and "nanny-state". But the law wasn't made because of us, it was made because of that guy "rolling coal" in his lifted Ram.

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2018, 03:32:57 PM »
While I understand the sentiment, and the (slight) outrage... one has to remember that EVERY law has been created due to the lowest common denominator. If nobody killed anyone by speeding... speed limits would never have been a necessity, as an example.

We've all seen what people do, in general, and given the opportunity. Sticking within the scope of environmental law... the *average* gearhead would burn 10 litres of gas per km if the price was right and they were allowed to, if it meant "more power, more noise, more BALLS!". So, yeah... Those of use who wish to tinker and tune and make sure things run right find it all very silly and "nanny-state". But the law wasn't made because of us, it was made because of that guy "rolling coal" in his lifted Ram.
Acceptable  points Toe and point taken on the "rolling coal" vehicles polluting the atmosphere but in reality the fires in California has probably dumped more carbon emissions into the atmosphere than every vehicle in America has dumped in the past X number of years. No scientific data just speculation.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 04:19:38 PM by Ncdan »

oldbike54

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2018, 04:03:57 PM »
 Nope .Still a weird thread , and we know why , right ?

Dusty

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2018, 04:19:09 PM »
Tractor Supply and Atwoods both have the 18" Poulin on sale for $99.00. Most saw shops won't even work on a Poulin. For those that have good luck with the Poulin, I'm happy for you. Not all of us can make a 30 under rod bearing out of a tuna fish can Or use the intestines of a possum to replace burnt wires.

Tex

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2018, 07:39:31 PM »
The trick is picking the proper possum.  It's like cat gut that way.  Daddy liked using cat gut for what it was good for, DC wiring being one, but he said you never knew if you had quality gut until it was out of the cat.  That could be hard on all involved, since it took 6 weeks to cure the gut to find out if it was any good, but there was no cure for the cat.  So either way he had to start over fresh next time.  He didn't mind the expenditure in cats as much as the neighbors did, but the inconsistencies from batch to batch got on his nerves.  He found that possum gave better results, and there were more donors.  The possum's ability to take up food coloring for color coded wire was a plus.  I don't know how he got the little stripes on.

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2018, 08:16:31 PM »
Tractor Supply and Atwoods both have the 18" Poulin on sale for $99.00. Most saw shops won't even work on a Poulin. For those that have good luck with the Poulin, I'm happy for you. Not all of us can make a 30 under rod bearing out of a tuna fish can Or use the intestines of a possum to replace burnt wires.

Tex
Lol Tex, I just cut another truck load of red oak with my twenty+ year old 16" hardwood eating poulan today. If it would just realize how cheesy it is and have the respect to just die, I then could get my superior Echo out of the box that I've had for three years now waiting for that day:)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 08:18:55 PM by Ncdan »

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2018, 08:31:22 AM »
The trick is picking the proper possum.  It's like cat gut that way.  Daddy liked using cat gut for what it was good for, DC wiring being one, but he said you never knew if you had quality gut until it was out of the cat.  That could be hard on all involved, since it took 6 weeks to cure the gut to find out if it was any good, but there was no cure for the cat.  So either way he had to start over fresh next time.  He didn't mind the expenditure in cats as much as the neighbors did, but the inconsistencies from batch to batch got on his nerves.  He found that possum gave better results, and there were more donors.  The possum's ability to take up food coloring for color coded wire was a plus.  I don't know how he got the little stripes on.

Well, there's the issue. Everyone knows the only proper use of a cat is to make banjo heads.

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2018, 08:32:26 AM »

Tex

Ya know... change  a few words, here and there, and the "Poulan" references to "Guzzi", and the statement still works. Just an observation.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 08:33:56 AM by Toecutter »

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2018, 09:00:17 AM »
 I have three chain saws...two Husqvarnas and a Still...The Huskys I bought new around 2003 when we staring heating with wood. They are pro saws, not homeowner models..The Stihl is a 80s 039 my wife's uncle gave me...the saw fuel is always non ethanol and the oil is measured precisely..I often pull off the bars, clean everything and grease the clutch bearing...In all this time only the smaller Husky needed a slight adjustment of the low speed mixture screw one time...Chain saw issues are often lack of maintenance or fiddling with the  mixture  screws .

Online Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2018, 09:18:11 AM »
For what it's worth Stihl is a German company still wholly owned by the two sons and daughters of Andreas Stihl and currently run by Peter Stihls' son.
About 80+% of the products sold here in the US are made in Virginia Beach Va. by American  workers. Their dealers service what they sell and parts are readily available anywhere here. from an overall quality standpoint nothing comes close. in any of the product lines they make.
Husky owned by White consolidated the arab owned co also owns Poulan Jonsered, Partner, Jobo and others I've forgotten. They are stockholder profit driven.
If it was made 10-20 years ago by a company it probably isn't close to the same quality today. Nuff said!
Disclaimer, I worked for a Stihl wholesale distributor for 37 years.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2018, 09:37:56 AM »
Disclaimer, I worked for a Stihl wholesale distributor for 37 years.

And still on the job, I see ....  :evil:   :laugh:

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2018, 10:44:43 AM »
 My two 20 year old Husky pro saws are every bit as good as the 30 year old Stihl...Because they are 10 years newer they are lighter weight than the Stihl...And when new, in today's dollars, they cost about the same..
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 10:45:58 AM by Rough Edge racing »

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2018, 12:45:22 PM »
Well, there's the issue. Everyone knows the only proper use of a cat is to make banjo heads.

The banjo has a dark history that way.  A farewell toast in the British Army went "May the skin of your bum never cover the head of a banjo." 

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2018, 02:21:32 PM »
The sad truth is that for most of us guys in our 60's the best place to obtain chainsaws, weed eaters, hedge trimmers, push mowers and hand tools, are at yard sales that ole timers are having. There we can find 20 year old, made in America, quality made home power tools, for cents on the dollar and a lot of time find these treasures with little to no wear, penny's on the dollar compared to today's prices for foreign junk and no tax's. Many times it also greatly helps the folks holding the sales.

Online Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2018, 02:34:39 PM »
My two 20 year old Husky pro saws are every bit as good as the 30 year old Stihl...Because they are 10 years newer they are lighter weight than the Stihl...And when new, in today's dollars, they cost about the same..

so what you're saying is Stihl is 10 years ahead of Husky! About right i guess.
Yes Lannis when your lucky enough to sell a great product with fantastic support at all levels it's hard to completely retire.
L-196, L-197

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2018, 03:33:22 PM »
Yes Lannis when your lucky enough to sell a great product with fantastic support at all levels it's hard to completely retire.

My sister in law used to work for Stihl in Virginia Beach, VA and she was the same way.   Not a bad thing to be, I guess ... except that I expect that Herr Stihl, Jr. as a sole proprietor is just as profit-motivated as any meeting of stockholders .. !!   Or more.

Lannis

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2018, 04:48:35 PM »
No,not at all.... I"m saying the Huskys are 10 years newer and benefit from new design, as in light weight...The Husqvarnas sold in retails stores are not the same quality as their commercial saws... Commercial Huskys and Stihls cost about the same...We all know you get what you pay for..

Online Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2018, 11:01:37 AM »
Amazingly not. I have seen them stand behind products 10 years old that they knew they had had a manufacturing problem with. I've seen them hand out thousands of new units for units that wore out before their time in commercial use. customer care beyond any possible expectation. that's the best way to get market share and keep the best dealers. too bad a M/C company I know doesn't learn this!
L-196, L-197

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2018, 12:01:06 PM »

Got a laugh out loud out of that one, David.. thanks.  :thumb:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here