Author Topic: Why aren't the health care providers pushing for mandatory helmet use?  (Read 3511 times)

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Why aren't the health care providers pushing for mandatory helmet use?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 03:02:47 PM »
Because dead claimants are cheaper than injured claimants. 
2008 Norge - Black Wing Squadron

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 03:04:42 PM »
True but when it involves kids.....just asking.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 03:08:27 PM »
 Our grand daughter recently graduated from Edinboro College with help from a full scholarship in Lacrosse...Women don't wear head protection but the men do...And women can hit that little hard ball pretty fast...

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 03:08:27 PM »

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 03:36:45 PM »
Why not a war on the King of Beers?  Killing 88,000 Americans each year.  You would think the insurance companies would be all over this single deadly consumer product. 

Oh, yeah, the $41 billion in Federal tax revenue.  I forgot about that.

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 03:52:37 PM »
newsflash....health care providers care about money, not your health. watch your premiums rise

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 04:39:54 PM »
I could see schools or teams mandating them for liability reasons. I do see kids wearing helmets much more than we ever did in all sorts of activities. I really think it's up to parents to insist on safety measures for their kids not corporations.

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 04:56:07 PM »
This thread should die quickly. Most Ins. companies encourage helmet use but that is a political minefield most don't wish to cross.
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

oldbike54

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 05:06:04 PM »
This thread should die quickly. Most Ins. companies encourage helmet use but that is a political minefield most don't wish to cross.

I agree .

Dusty

Kentktk

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 10:31:51 PM »
It`s always about the money, more so in this country than any other. If you ever wonder why "they" do this or don`t do that. Just follow the money trail you will soon find your answer.

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 01:41:22 AM »
The average person has no idea how sensitive their brain is to sudden impact.  I found out by falling off a ladder, cracking my skull, and still being alive afterward.   A lot of  fed. govt. $ was spent to keep me eventually to mostly have a normal life except no longer being able to work  as I once could.  I now have a  100% disability from my injury in `93.

I no longer watch boxing, football, or anything that allows head butting.  I'm sure young peoples brains are even more sensitive to sudden impacts than an adults brain.

Since young bicycle riders are required to wear helmets now, it sounds like the same should be required of soccer players if some players are being that aggressive.  Better safe than sorry.  :azn:
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 10:31:31 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 08:22:36 AM »
A friend of mine in HS had a permanent brain injury in a footbball game.  That was in 1970.  Took over 3 decades before it has been openly discussed as a problem.  Football helmets have been made better, but, that doesn't help in these impacts.

Hockey helmets were for wimps until just a little while ago.

Baseball helmets that covered the temple and ear were for wimps as well.  My baseball coach died from a ball that hit him in the temple, 1973.

Soccer has been a problem for many years as well, at all levels.  Just isn't talked about.  First, money.  Second, a soccer player can't be seen as 'wimpy' enough to worry about a head injury.

Most of these sports are much like gladiator times.  The players are "owned" by the team.  They are used up and tossed aside just to make money for someone.  Most of them are broken and destitute after their short careers are over. 

I stopped watching sports many years ago, mostly for that reason.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2016, 12:27:12 AM »
What do YOU think, Tom ?

Below age 18 helmets should be used.  Any of the interested agencies or associations have enough data to show that the head injury rate needs mitigation. 

"What do YOU think?"

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2016, 06:41:02 AM »
As a clinical psychologist in management, my head hurts enough without literally hitting it against anything.  I've tried to steer my children away from sports that are associated with head injuries but all life carries risk.  I remember James Blake the tennis player slid into a net post and got a severe head and neck injury.  My second worst head injury was in tennis when I fell backwards trying to hit an overhead as a teenager.  Worst was connecting a telephone pole to an Alfa.  But purposely having my brain slam into the inside of my skull on a regular basis?  Not by choice.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2016, 07:26:30 AM »
I totally agree.  Watch how this thread develops and you'll see an example of that.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2016, 01:36:45 PM »
Classmate from high school was playing a father/son hockey game a few years after he retired as a policeman. Young lad did a slap shot that connected with my buddy just behind the ear. Killed him. I don't know if he was wearing a helmet, but hockey helmet are not all that big so I kinda doubt the current version would have helped.

Sad, he was one of the good ones.  :sad:

Seems to me, when you're in a group to share the risk, but assume riskier behavior, then your share of the bill needs to be larger. Just like car insurance.
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2016, 02:00:06 PM »
I totally agree.  Watch how this thread develops and you'll see an example of that.

How so?

Offline pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '97 1100 Sport i, '89 Mille GT
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2016, 02:41:01 PM »
Never forget that the vast majority of laws are written either by, or at the demand of, lobbies.

Insurance lobby wants helmets. Helmet manufacturers want helmets.
Motorcycle lobby wants no helmets. Voters want no helmets.

This is why helmet laws vary from state to state, like waves on the lake.
Something wistful and amusing, yet poignant.

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2016, 02:58:29 PM »
I started riding MCs in 1962 in Caifornia when there was no helmet law requirement.  I didn't need a law to convince me I should wear a helmet for safeties sake.  I wore 1 anyway before a law required it.   I live in Arizona now where if you're an adult you're not required to wear a helmet if you ride a MC or scooter. I always wear a helmet.  :bow:

Actually after my head injury(`93) my neurosurgeon told me no more MC riding because my brain can't survive another hit.   Well in `01 I went down  at slow speed when a truck turned left in front of us I had to lay our Convert down to not hit the truck.   I went down face 1st w/full face helmet on. I went unconscious but came to in the ambulance.  :smiley:    My left knee got scraped up some but I was in better shape than my wife Judy.  So I've been riding for 23 years against Dr.s orders.  :grin:
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 03:01:39 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2016, 03:15:26 PM »
The helmet use issue for motorcyclists out here is considered a rights issue not a safety issue.  Most still use one.

For underage sports and back to the subject,  there is enough data that helmet use should be for sports that involve head contact.  Soccer mainly because of the involvement from a young age through high school.  Once someone goes on to college, Olympic or professional soccer, their involvement is as an adult and are aware of the risks while accepting them.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here