Author Topic: V7 sport headlight question  (Read 1595 times)

Offline PerryT

• New Egg
V7 sport headlight question
« on: December 15, 2020, 03:07:24 PM »
Help!  My 73' V7 sport needs to get back on the road.  I thought I took pictures of everything before I taking them apart.  The tear down and rebuild has been a multi year project.  I'm looking at the inside of the headlight bucket and don't remember how the wires connect.  Can someone tell me how the wires should be connected.  The pictures are what I thought I remembered but doesn't figure electrically.  :violent1:

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V7 sport headlight question
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 03:50:08 PM »
I don't have any pictures to help you with but if you have a test light just ground the alligator clip to the shell, pull off the wire leads to the lamp socket and then turn on your light switch high and low beams while looking for the corresponding shell lug that will cause the test lamp to illuminate. Black is ground. Once you know the high / low lugs the other one is the park light, black ground. Then plug the headlight socket into the bulb, ground the socket black wire to the frame,  take a jumper wire to your battery and prod the two other lamp leads to determine which is the high and low beam then connect the high and low from the lamp leads to the corresponding lugs on the lamp shell.
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 05:09:56 PM »
A bit of trivia.  Benelli and Moto Guzzi used the same supplier on the headlight shell for the 650 Tornado and V7 Sport.  IIRC.  So, yeah interchangeable.   :boozing:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 05:30:13 PM »
A bit of trivia.  Benelli and Moto Guzzi used the same supplier on the headlight shell for the 650 Tornado and V7 Sport.  IIRC.  So, yeah interchangeable.   :boozing:

Yep Benelli used the same CEV headlight but cheaped out on the chrome and opted for a black painted shell. The 1st gen Tornado 650 (kick start models) had a similar shell, rather than a common black plastic lug with four spade terminals there are four individual holes in the back of the shell with a colour coded hard plastic grommet (red, white, blue, black) and a terminal.

48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 05:30:13 PM »

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 06:05:16 PM »
I did notice the 650S Benelli in your bike line-up. :thumb: :grin:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2020, 08:22:11 PM »
My Morini 3 1/2 Strada uses the same (chromed) shell.
Charlie

Offline PerryT

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2020, 09:59:43 PM »
My confusion comes from the red and black connected together in the lamp plug.  I assumed those to be ground but it could be power and switch move the ground.  Huh.
Well, I think I'll put the wiring diagram under my pillow and have the answer by morning.  I was hoping for a quick answer.  I guess a little more studying is in order.
I'll still take the easy answer if someone has it.
Thanks for the clues and pics.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2020, 10:28:23 PM »
If the Black is ground the Red with it may be the ground for the park light.
Its shown as a black wire on Carls drawing, perhaps a previous owner changed something.
https://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/schematics/1971_V7_Sport.gif
Never mind I see what you mean, looking at your picture, does your bike have a park light?
If the Black is ground the Red with it may be the ground for the park light.

https://ibb.co/DryPtzJ
If you pull all the connectors at the back of the bucket it should be quite easy to sort them out.
It seems to me the forth wire coming into the bucket must be the park light, using a voltmeter or test light see if it turns on in the park position.
Trace that wire back to the Distribution Block (24)

« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 10:54:28 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline PerryT

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2020, 08:27:10 AM »
I love that schematic.  The shop manual does not show the connections in the bucket.  It appears I do have it connected correctly.  Now I need to make sure I have everything connected at the bus block and fuse block.  I know it's a simple thing but that's what happens when starting from scratch.

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2020, 09:36:01 AM »
Help!  My 73' V7 sport needs to get back on the road.  I thought I took pictures of everything before I taking them apart.  The tear down and rebuild has been a multi year project.  I'm looking at the inside of the headlight bucket and don't remember how the wires connect.  Can someone tell me how the wires should be connected.  The pictures are what I thought I remembered but doesn't figure electrically.  :violent1:

Reverse the red and yellow wires in this picture. 

From the throttle side of headlight- black on end is ground (mine is grounded to regulator/rectifier board(?).  Blue and red are hi/lo and go to dimmer switch on handlebar.  yellow is on end and goes to a junction block where it joins with three other yellow wires.  I just looked at mine.

I went through the same with my V7 Sport long ago, but without any pics or info beyond a photocopy of the wiring diagram. PO had partially disassembled bike before it came to me, with parts scattered and stashed all over a small storage warehouse and wiring harness was toast...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 09:37:38 AM by cliffrod »
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2020, 01:03:16 PM »
I didn't have to hook mine up.  Curtis at Harper's did.  The bike got traded in w/Vetter fairing.  I found the bucket on the MGNOC classifieds and had it shipped to him.  I was at home in Hawaii at the time. 

It became part of the collection that was in their shop till I could ship them to Hawaii.  (V7 Sport, 1000S greenie and LeMans V)  The 850 LeMans had already been shipped to the Pacific Moto Guzzi Refuge in Kona.  🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Offline motospotter

• New Egg
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2020, 10:18:07 PM »
I recently opened the headlight on my V7 project. Though I cannot say if this is correct but here it is...

Stephen P
79 1000SP
81 Monza
72 V7 Sport

Offline centauro

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2020, 03:30:57 PM »
Reverse the red and yellow wires in this picture. 

From the throttle side of headlight- black on end is ground (mine is grounded to regulator/rectifier board(?).  Blue and red are hi/lo and go to dimmer switch on handlebar.  yellow is on end and goes to a junction block where it joins with three other yellow wires.  I just looked at mine.

I went through the same with my V7 Sport long ago, but without any pics or info beyond a photocopy of the wiring diagram. PO had partially disassembled bike before it came to me, with parts scattered and stashed all over a small storage warehouse and wiring harness was toast...

Same headlight as on my old 650 Benelli Tornado. The headlight bulb 3-terminal connector has the blue for ground, white for low-beam and black for the high beam. The red attached to the black is for the optional world-spec parking light bulb. The connections colors on the back side of the bucket should match the colors of the wires inside the bucket.
Val Barone
1984 1000 SP/NT (sold)
1973 Benelli 650S Tornado (sold)
1985 Vespa PX150E
1973 Honda CB 350 Four

Learn from other's mistakes ; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.  Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2020, 03:58:13 PM »
You missed the previous replies.😱😀😀😀

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here