Author Topic: NGC Opinion on older DSLR camera  (Read 3307 times)

Online Matt Story

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Flint, MI
NGC Opinion on older DSLR camera
« on: December 21, 2018, 12:59:53 PM »
This would be a gift for my 16yr old son who is in an arts program and has taken an interest in photography.  This Pentax K-x model is on CL near me for what seems like a fair price $200 for a 12Mp DSLR.  I have only a casual interest in photography and know little.

https://annarbor.craigslist.org/pho/d/pentax-x-digital-slr-camera-18-55mm-f35/6776534034.html

Would this be a good choice as an entry level camera?  Is it in fact a fair or good deal?  Would it be particularly expensive to add accessory lenses?

Thank you sincerely o oracle of many things NGC!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 01:01:05 PM by Matt Story »
'75 850T - First & only owner
'77 Honda CB750 Supersport
'02 BMW R1150RT

Flint, MI

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
Re: NGC Opinion on older DSLR camera
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 01:28:39 PM »
Can't really address price, but otherwise it would be a great camera-especially for lenses.

But just start out with the basic 35mm lens.

I have a K100D that is really great for most uses.

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 02:08:38 PM »
I also have a K100D but, I hardly use it anymore. My smart phone takes excellent pictures, i can share them easier and I always have it with me.
Joe Walano

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 02:24:06 PM »
i think I've got a KX in red, no longer used since I also have a K3 and a K50. KX is a good camera, but you'll want to get some sanyo rechargeable batteries for it. It takes 4AA, but alkaline won't last long and lithium are expensive. Any pentax k mount lens will work on it and I've bought several on ebay. Most of mine are Tamrons. Cheap enough to pick up a 28-200 tele for walking around. Price is probably fair to high if in good condition. If you were closer I'd let you check out mine.
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 02:24:06 PM »

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 02:25:26 PM »
I also have a K100D but, I hardly use it anymore. My smart phone takes excellent pictures, i can share them easier and I always have it with me.

Isn't that amazing?  Many is the time I'll take my high dollar DSLR to shoot some pictures and a family member's iPhone shots of the same scene will beat mine for color, clarity, etc..  Frustrating, really...   :cry:
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 02:27:27 PM »
Isn't that amazing?  Many is the time I'll take my high dollar DSLR to shoot some pictures and a family member's iPhone shots of the same scene will beat mine for color, clarity, etc..  Frustrating, really...   :cry:

True but I'm still looking at a full frame camera over a new smart phone. But I'm old school.

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 02:32:15 PM »
True but I'm still looking at a full frame camera over a new smart phone. But I'm old school.

Oh, I'm not giving up my Nikon DSLR.  Just noting how darned good the smart phones are these days!
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 03:04:04 PM »
Oh, I'm not giving up my Nikon DSLR.  Just noting how darned good the smart phones are these days!
I'm with you, I still like my DLSR but, my phone is so much easier and convenient. I brought my DSLR on the Cannonball but, I didn't take that many pictures with it until I got to Oregon. By then, I was on vacation and didn't mind the hassle plus, I got some great photos.
Joe Walano

Online Matt Story

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Flint, MI
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 03:21:34 PM »
Thanks everyone.  The K-x is a little bit of a drive.  Looking around I'm starting to think I might do better on the cost vs function ratio.  I don't think it would be a disappointment.  I may consider a Cannon Rebel T3i that's also within range (price and distance) https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/pho/d/birmingham-canon-t3i-digital-dslr-slr/6750247956.html   It's all very complex.  I don't want to drop big dollars on something new, but want to provide the flexibility of a good camera.
'02 BMW R1150RT

Flint, MI

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 04:42:40 PM »
the new mirrorless cameras are the coming thing.  Unfortunately, the lens mounts are totally new vs the "old" DSLRs (although adapters are available). 

I am not sure you can go wrong for a couple hundred bucks but you might take a look at the used cameras at B&H or ebay.  And once you get hooked on interchangeable lenses, the costs of camera bodies is almost secondary.  Yeah, I am looking about upgrading to mirrorless but then I have to purchase new lenses and basically start all over.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2018, 05:23:02 PM »

That's a fact. I won a photo contest a couple of years ago. One of our friends is a camera nut and asked what I'd used. Held up my phone.  :grin: She gave me the  :rolleyes:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2018, 05:55:20 AM »
On a tangent....id suggest Photoshop classes to improve and understand what you can do with images after you shoot them. The cameras are amazing, and overwhelming....and antique six months later. 
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2018, 09:05:59 AM »
I see Canon Rebels on Facebook Marketplace under $100 all day long. One just popped up here for $50. Personally, for an intro camera, I'd go with a Rebel. Caveat, I am biased toward Canon.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Online Matt Story

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Flint, MI
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2018, 09:39:55 AM »
 :popcorn:

I'm tuned in.  Left a message for the Cannon with no reply yet.  I may go ahead with the Pentax, but I don't feel right about rushing into it for the false urgency of the holiday.  I'll have a look at B&H.  Not on Facebook for all the paranoid reasons.  I may join with a false persona just to have access to the marketplace.

My Samsung Note phones have taken outstanding pictures and the best thing is always to have it on hand.  I use it for utility purposes I would never have imagined.

Matt
'02 BMW R1150RT

Flint, MI

Offline craigclu

• Hatchling
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2018, 10:15:46 AM »
My brother had a K-x and captured many good images with it.  He eventually upgraded to a model that showed the focus areas/confirmation in the finder that the K-x lacked.  It was one of the better kit lenses (the bundled 18-55) of the day.  I just checked on eBay and this is priced on the high side of things but apparently has had little use so that's worth a bit, too.  The lens mount is quite common so after-market lenses would generally be available for the Pentax.  My brother picked the system because of having accumulated Pentax slr film gear and lenses that would mount to the K-x.  This turned out to not be too important as the legacy (film world) optics never really shined on the digital system.  Some great optics on film simply do not work as well when captured on the grid arrays of digital sensors. 
He who is without oil shall cast out the first rod...”-Detonations 5:72.

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2018, 10:33:12 AM »
Of course photography isn't about equipment, and photoshop, GIMP et al are going through the same upheaval as other aspects of photography-since my phone and my online storage have great, concise automatic editing features

Offline AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2018, 02:09:48 PM »
Pentax is a good camera. BUT.

If you are talking about just getting started and he's in a class, get Nikon or Canon. That's what his classmates will be using. That's what 90% of help guides will be geared to. Yeah the basics exposure, timing, flash, etc don't matter to the camera. But if he's working with other people in class, It'll be a lot more helpful if they have something in common. I started with a Rebel XT about 12 years ago. Then worked up to a 50D then a 5D now a 6D. If you look for a Rebel without video capability, it'll be cheap. No need to get the latest.

Also keep in mind, DSLR means a system. There's the Canon way of doing things and the Nikon way of doing things and then everyone else. People tend to be pretty loyal to the system they know.

Again, nothing wrong with Pentax, but let him choose being the odd man out in class himself. That's a good third or fourth camera.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Online Matt Story

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Flint, MI
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2018, 05:01:49 PM »
So, I happened on another camera which seems like great specs and a good deal on FaceBook.  Actually my sons FB because I don't do that. $300 for a Cannon T4i that comes with a spare lens, bag and accessories.  My local friend cautioned me about watching out for shutter count and to stay away from something worn out.  I did some research on the specs, and son likes the camera, and I try to initiate a dialogue.  So this guy on FB, I assume a youngster, prefers texting (at the exclusion of speaking I guess) and won't give phone number so I can have a verbal discussion about the item.  Clams up and won't answer my question (by text via sons FB).  Dialogue ends there.  Sons is miffed a bit since our situation is stuck.  Maybe he's mute.  I'm not driving 40 miles to look at a piece of equipment I can't have an open discussion about before hand - get a feeling for who I am dealing with etc.  I think if you want to sell something you go out of your comfort zone a bit.  Go figure
'02 BMW R1150RT

Flint, MI

Online xackley

• Gosling
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2018, 09:19:26 PM »
when thinking about slr cameras the lens is more important than the body. Nikon is a good bet.  One question is backward compatibility for lenses. Many modern Nikons can use lens from the 1970s.  It is good to be able to fit a Great old manual focus lens that are relatively cheap. The camera loses point and shoot capabilities of a modern lens,  and depends on the operator to focus and adjust light and time. But great glass on a lesser camera body will take better pictures that mediocre glass on a great camera body.
As said above, for a photography class it is important to have a the camera the instructor knows. DSLR are computers, every brand with their own operating systems.
If possible pay a fee to use the schools camera for the class. After the class would be a better time to decide which camera to buy. All are capable of taking a great photo, the big question is which brand of lens does one collect.
1958 R69 BMW, 1972 R75/5, 1980 yamaha XS650, 1982 GL1100, 2003 EV, 2007 Triumph America and 2017 V7!!!
All on the road, going nowhere in particular.

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2018, 10:17:45 PM »
Just know that DSLRs are obsolete.  So get a good deal, considering there will be plenty of used cameras and lenses in the future as customers change out their equipment.

All the new cameras are mirrorless and the lenses have different mounts.  Nikon was the last hold out until a few months ago.  Sony has been at it for about 5 years.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline earemike

• Lurker
  • Gosling
    • A place for me to park on the web
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2018, 03:28:48 AM »
the new mirrorless cameras are the coming thing.  Unfortunately, the lens mounts are totally new vs the "old" DSLRs (although adapters are available). 

I am not sure you can go wrong for a couple hundred bucks but you might take a look at the used cameras at B&H or ebay.  And once you get hooked on interchangeable lenses, the costs of camera bodies is almost secondary.  Yeah, I am looking about upgrading to mirrorless but then I have to purchase new lenses and basically start all over.

I bought a mirrorless a few years ago, smashing photos. I’m no expert but light room can reall make them pop!

Should be well priced mirrorless around now?
850 T3
850 LeMans killer goose or somesutch I’m told
850 LeMans
850 LeMans II (I've butchered it by fitting a round headlight & removing the front faring.)
SP1000 Stucchi
V11 Ballabio
V7 Sport (needs a little work)

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2018, 05:49:40 AM »
 I bought my wife a new Cannon Rebel SLR digital to replace here Cannon Rebel SLR film camera about 12 years ago....She no longer uses it and uses her Iphone camera...The phone camera is an equal for general purpose photos but I notice some or all phone cameras have a problem with perspective when shooting something like a bike from an angle...I use a phone camera because I can take photos and post them directly from the phone to internet hosting for displaying online

Offline AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2018, 02:27:46 PM »
If I understand the given variables, you have a 16 year old kid who may be interested in digital design that needs a camera for class. You don't want to invest in a lot of money in case he changes his mind.

Here's a used Canon Rebel, body only, fair condition, from a reputable company. 30 day guarantee. 60 bucks. You might have to buy a battery and charger extra. Check eBay.
Here's a used Canon base lens, fair condition, from a reputable company. Has a warranty if you buy EX or better condition. 60 bucks. Might have to buy lens caps.

Personally I wouldn't invest a lot of money on maybes. 

https://www.adorama.com/us%20%20%201073364.html

https://www.keh.com/shop/canon-ef-s-18-55mm-f-3-5-5-6-is-zoom-lens-116304.html

Good luck!

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2018, 04:23:47 PM »
Just know that DSLRs are obsolete.  So get a good deal, considering there will be plenty of used cameras and lenses in the future as customers change out their equipment.

All the new cameras are mirrorless and the lenses have different mounts.  Nikon was the last hold out until a few months ago.  Sony has been at it for about 5 years.

DSLR are as obsolete as Guzzis. Not everybody want's limited battery life because the camera has to light a screen instead of looking through a viewfinder. Biggest knock I'm hearing on the Sony mirrorless cameras is terrible battery life. Regarding cell phones there are photographers and picture takers. Haven't seen a wedding photographer yet that just used a cellphone.

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2018, 04:41:47 PM »
However, they're out there.

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2018, 05:59:25 PM »
DSLR are as obsolete as Guzzis. Not everybody want's limited battery life because the camera has to light a screen instead of looking through a viewfinder. Biggest knock I'm hearing on the Sony mirrorless cameras is terrible battery life. Regarding cell phones there are photographers and picture takers. Haven't seen a wedding photographer yet that just used a cellphone.

I wouldn't wager in 5 years time that they'll be any DSLRs on the market.  Even my legacy A-mount Minolta/Sony camera has a translucent mirror and is not a reflex camera.  Sony will soon get rid of the A-mount inventory and attendant lenses.  And then it will all be E-mount mirrorless. 

Canon has had it's new lineup for a year or so and Nikon just released it's new system.

There's nothing wrong with DSLRs.  They take great photos.  Really there's not much that can improved in them.  But you can just look at the product lines and see what is coming.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 06:00:48 PM by LowRyter »
John L 

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2018, 08:43:59 PM »
I'll believe in the final knell for the SLR when I hear only voices in press conferences in big cities.

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2018, 09:04:17 PM »
Kodachrome
They give us those nice bright colors
They give us the greens of summers
Makes you think all the world's a sunny day
I got a Nikon camera
I love to take a photograph
So mama don't take my Kodachrome away

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2018, 10:31:18 PM »
I'll believe in the final knell for the SLR when I hear only voices in press conferences in big cities.

I don't think there have been any SLR cameras sold in the last 15 years.  But yeah, Kodachrome.  Ektachrome too.
John L 

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
  • Banjo pickin' bagpipe playin' fool
    • South East Massive
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2018, 08:45:11 AM »
Actually Low Nikon still sells (or was it sold) the F6 up until very recently. And there is a project to make a new SLR thats started shipping new cameras I believe.

I might get a digital camera for my creative stuff one day, but I'm cool with HP5 and Kodak ProImage 100 for the time being.

My cameras (5) range from 1968 and my Olympus Trip35, to my Canon EOS10 from 1991 or thereabouts. Workhorse is my Nikon FE that I use for arty black and white stuff. Mostly bikes, boats, etc......old buildings in decay......

Scotty

My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
Thomas Paine

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here