Author Topic: NGC Opinion on older DSLR camera  (Read 3309 times)

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
Re: NGC Opinion on older DSLR camera
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2018, 08:48:32 AM »
Actually Low Nikon still sells (or was it sold) the F6 up until very recently. And there is a project to make a new SLR thats started shipping new cameras I believe.

I might get a digital camera for my creative stuff one day, but I'm cool with HP5 and Kodak ProImage 100 for the time being.

My cameras (5) range from 1968 and my Olympus Trip35, to my Canon EOS10 from 1991 or thereabouts. Workhorse is my Nikon FE that I use for arty black and white stuff. Mostly bikes, boats, etc......old buildings in decay......

Ahh the good old days of film when i didn't load hundreds/thousands of digital pictures on my computer to then have to sort through
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
  • Banjo pickin' bagpipe playin' fool
    • South East Massive
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2018, 08:53:30 AM »
All that being said, digital photograpghy has been a boon to my line of work. I use a little digital thing for my inspections, both the invited ones, and the court approved forced entry ones.
Scotty

My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
Thomas Paine

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2018, 03:50:31 PM »
Actually Low Nikon still sells (or was it sold) the F6 up until very recently. And there is a project to make a new SLR thats started shipping new cameras I believe.

I might get a digital camera for my creative stuff one day, but I'm cool with HP5 and Kodak ProImage 100 for the time being.

My cameras (5) range from 1968 and my Olympus Trip35, to my Canon EOS10 from 1991 or thereabouts. Workhorse is my Nikon FE that I use for arty black and white stuff. Mostly bikes, boats, etc......old buildings in decay......

So the key phrase here is "until very recently".  Which makes my statement 100% correct? 

I have a few obsolete cameras stored away too.  And I suspect when I go to mirrorless cameras I'll have another batch.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Matt Story

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Flint, MI
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2018, 05:03:56 PM »
To wrap this up, I ended up picking up a Nikon D-3200 that I found it on CL.  I came across a website by a guy named Ken Rockwell which pretty much had an in depth review for every camera I was interested in.  Ken showed a lot of respect for this particular unit.  We got the camera, the kit lens 18-55mm as well as a 55-200mm lens.  Came with a double battery pack which also works as a handle for portrait shots, a carry bag, handful of filters.  I paid $300.  I just spent 45min figuring out how to use it.  It has a pretty intuitive user interface even for me a casual photographer at best.  Son has been away since i picked it up.  It should be a hit.

Link to Ken Rockwell's camera review of the D3200:https://kenrockwell.com/nikon/d3200.htm

Thanks for all the input

Matt
'75 850T - First & only owner
'77 Honda CB750 Supersport
'02 BMW R1150RT

Flint, MI

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2018, 05:03:56 PM »

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2018, 05:59:48 PM »
To wrap this up, I ended up picking up a Nikon D-3200 that I found it on CL.  I came across a website by a guy named Ken Rockwell which pretty much had an in depth review for every camera I was interested in.  Ken showed a lot of respect for this particular unit.  We got the camera, the kit lens 18-55mm as well as a 55-200mm lens.  Came with a double battery pack which also works as a handle for portrait shots, a carry bag, handful of filters.  I paid $300.  I just spent 45min figuring out how to use it.  It has a pretty intuitive user interface even for me a casual photographer at best.  Son has been away since i picked it up.  It should be a hit.

Link to Ken Rockwell's camera review of the D3200:https://kenrockwell.com/nikon/d3200.htm

Thanks for all the input

Matt

Ken, My daughter has the 3200. Great picture taker. Pretty durable it's been dropped on concrete and still kept shooting. Lens has issues due to an overzealous son-in-law cramming stuff on top of it in there car, but it kept taking pictures. Just died after developing a shutter issue after 6 years or so. Based on that camera, I'd buy a Nikon in a heartbeat if I didn't have a bunch of Pentax stuff. Good choice and good luck.
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2018, 09:03:45 PM »

Thanks for all the input

Matt

sounds like a great deal
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here