Author Topic: If you could  (Read 6608 times)

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
Re: If you could
« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2018, 08:03:52 AM »
A good example on this conversation is my first experience with EFI and on board computer systems was with the HD brand. My ridding buddy and I both had 03 Electra glides. Mine came factory with EFI and his was a carb, last year for them so both was available. Both started without issue, on cold mornings he pulled out his choke according to how cold, both got almost the same fuel mileage, and woukd neck to neck during heavy acceleration. The difference started to show when we both decided to install mid range cams. The same shop did both of them. His simply needed a jet charge, mine required a 200.00 computer add on and a ride on the mechine to tune it, another 200 bucks. However both ran great afterwards and were still equal in every way. Go figure.

Online larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2018, 08:29:40 AM »
I remember when electric starters were considered , er , well , a lack of masculinity  :shocked:
 Dusty

That's right. If you can't kickstart it, you shouldn't be riding it. That's the way it was. Pity the poor sod who someone put a piece of cigarette pack cellophane in the points of his Panhead... "Come on, man, get that thing started, we gots to go!"
Larry
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 08:32:51 AM by larrys »
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2018, 08:35:20 AM »
The only thing the carbs can't due is safely approach the lean conditions required for best catalytic converter operation.

Kev, thatīs not necessarily true. There is a small company in Stuttgart that provides solutions with Kats (in Germany called G-Kats or regulated Kats) for cars like e.g. really old Volkswagen Beetles (even Split Windows) by using the carburetors. How do they do that? Well, they add Lambda probes, a small by a computer regulated air valve and the Kat of course. The carb is tuned a bit too fat, the air valve (sitting behind the carb) adds air according the computer, which evaluates the Lambda probe. They have for years now astonished a lot of people.

Admittedly, to my knowledge they have only worked on cars. For those who can read German here the link: http://www.wurmkat.de/
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Offline Daleroso

• Gosling
« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2018, 08:35:35 AM »
The cosr factor of parts needing replacing is more expensive EFI/ECU's/electronics (not counting economic/labor increases). I've had parts associates I'm familiar with apologize for a modern parts cost & help out where they could.
It's harder cost wise for a Dad to find a small non running used bike for an enthusiastic child & try to bring it back to life. ( Even if it's pre EFI etc.)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2018, 08:35:35 AM »

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2018, 08:47:19 AM »
Problem is you need a computer to go along with them. Then comes the sensors.
Properly jetted, carb. bikes warm up pretty quick, and your oil warms and circulates in the mean time.
BAZINGA!

I've gotten over 125,000 miles on EFI Guzzis and have never required a computer to keep them running and have never had any kind of sensor fail (knock on wood). I keep the throttle bodies cleaned, synched and run a little seafoam once a year or so.  Heck, my wifes '01 CalSpec has 140K on the clock and has never had any type of malfunction related to the EFI. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I cannot say the same thing about my carb'd bikes in the past.
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2018, 08:57:09 AM »
I've gotten over 125,000 miles on EFI Guzzis and have never required a computer to keep them running and have never had any kind of sensor fail (knock on wood). I keep the throttle bodies cleaned, synched and run a little seafoam once a year or so.  Heck, my wifes '01 CalSpec has 140K on the clock and has never had any type of malfunction related to the EFI. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I cannot say the same thing about my carb'd bikes in the past.
I think it's safe to say that when the EFI ECU bikes works it does a great job but I can attest when something goes wrong with that system it can be a nightmare if one, like myself, hasn't kept up with that technology and this is the well kept secret on the issue. Back in the day I could fix issues because my simple mind could comprehend the basics of the internal combustion engine of AIR, FUEL SPARK.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 10:10:58 AM by Ncdan »

Offline Furbo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2018, 09:45:20 AM »
Carbs & points, It'll be the only thing running after the large sunburst happens.
:thumb:
Killeen, TX
'96 Sport 1100
'72 N. Falcone
'72 Eldo

Eccl 9:9,10

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: December 27, 2018, 10:21:56 AM »
Fuel injection and electronic ignition
I just hate smelling gas from carbs or like the old plungers you had to prime and got gas on your thumb!
Call me weird but would rather not smell or touch gas at my age........ :huh:

inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2018, 10:31:19 AM »
Carbs & points, It'll be the only thing running after the large sunburst happens.

And mechanical pump diesels...
Charlie

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2018, 10:58:02 AM »
the basics of the internal combustion engine of AIR, FUEL SPARK.

Which hasn't changed in the slightest, 125000miles the carbs will have worn out needles seats possibly slides and some cases bodies.

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2018, 01:22:21 PM »
I guess this sounds lame, but I don't miss adjusting my idle mixture every time I climb or descend another 3500 feet in the Rockies. I can live with carburetors (I even prefer them on some things) and I still have my timing strobe and dwell meter, but I find that electronically controlled injection and ignition is clearly  a better system...from a standpoint of performance, reliability, and convenience. I loved my old '60 BMW, but I don't miss the constant maintenance.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here