Author Topic: Broken Wires  (Read 1147 times)

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
Broken Wires
« on: December 27, 2018, 10:58:19 AM »

Someone posted this picture of an ignition switch so I thought I would use it to show first of all what the 2000 era switches are like inside. The switch block is held onto the key part by 2 Phillips screws, it takes just a few seconds to drop off.
Release the clip on the black body and tilt the white switch plate out.
In this one the grease looks quite fresh, often its hard almost like candle wax. Wipe the old grease out and replace it with fresh Vaseline.
Note how the green wire has snapped off, it did that because the wires aren't held at the back so they flex at the weakest part, next to the solder joint until the copper work hardens and snaps.
I don't think it is possible to put the switch together wrong, at least I haven't managed to yet.
When you put it back together, fasten the wires to the back cover and arrange them so the loom flexes gently over several inches, don't strap the wires tightly together.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 11:17:17 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
Re: Broken Wires
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 12:37:54 PM »
 Queer electrons blow fuzes.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
Re: Broken Wires
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 01:21:47 PM »
I have gotten the base with the wires and plug in where it goes into the harness. I think its pn 01 78 25 00.  The parts breakdown calls it starter switch but I'm purty sure its just the base. most of the time they can be easily repaired but sometimes they are melted if those queer electrons decide the fuzes are fine
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here