Author Topic: V65 Lario for sale  (Read 2982 times)

Offline Chesterfield

• Hatchling
V65 Lario for sale
« on: August 10, 2017, 06:58:47 PM »
What do you guys think about this? It`s close to me and looks nice. Even the price seems reasonable. What would be the things to be aware of?  Thanks!
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcd/d/1986-moto-guzzi-v65-lario-red/6220248591.html

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V65 Lario for sale
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 07:13:57 PM »
Seems damn nice at a great price.

I wonder if the history of these is such now that a fella can predict and stay ahead of them grenading?

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 07:16:46 PM »
The main thing to be aware of is the valve train. At 17K miles, it's either already blown or ready to.  :evil: That will require new valves and springs at the very least. It looks like quite a bit of new paint, for whatever reason. The right carb is tilted weirdly for whatever reason, and is leaking fuel. That fuel stain probably won't clean up. It'll need the rear drive mod and the transmission breather mod. If the transmission was run low on oil per Guzzi's recommendation, (because it didn't have the breather mod) 5th gear will probably whine. If it does, it won't get any better.
That's the worst of it.  :smiley: It has the very desirable Euro turnsignals, and generally the antique parts are there.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 07:25:45 PM »
The main thing to be aware of is the valve train. At 17K miles, it's either already blown or ready to.  :evil: That will require new valves and springs at the very least. It looks like quite a bit of new paint, for whatever reason. The right carb is tilted weirdly for whatever reason, and is leaking fuel. That fuel stain probably won't clean up. It'll need the rear drive mod and the transmission breather mod. If the transmission was run low on oil per Guzzi's recommendation, (because it didn't have the breather mod) 5th gear will probably whine. If it does, it won't get any better.
That's the worst of it.  :smiley: It has the very desirable Euro turnsignals, and generally the antique parts are there.

Looks like fuel on the starter too now that you mention it.

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 07:25:45 PM »

Offline Chesterfield

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 07:59:33 PM »
Thanks, looks like the last time it was licensed was 2010, so it`s been sitting a few years.

Offline danomar

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 08:05:02 PM »
The same Lario was discussed in a different thread a few months ago when it came up. There are several obvious signs that this is one to slowly back away from. It might be perfectly fine, but the assortment of different parts and questionable modifications (plus the fact that it has not sold after several months) suggest it is one to look at but not own.

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 12:04:09 AM »
Hey, Stay away from my possible Lario!

Once I sell my house and move to something cheaper forced retirement I can actually buy it.

As my son say's you have to be "All In" for the Lario.  I fully expect to pull the heads first thing and find someone who can flow & redo the valves with something that lasts longer than 15,000 miles.

Then there's the cam.

Also the small block Bevel Box should be rebuilt.  I've had a bad experience

Then there's the ignition upgrade.  more bad experience

Carburation.

Bearings.

And get rid of those God forsaken APES.

If I wasn't such an idiot I'd just get a newer V7 racer to renovate.  reshock, respring, big bore, 4 valve???

Actually you'd probably be doing me a favor by taking it off the market.

Mark
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline cwiseman

• Gaggle Mentor
    • C&D Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 03:44:25 AM »
My friend Jesse here in Southern Illinois has a nice Lario that has fresh heads that were completely reworked by Ace Malott, rev limiter and the thing is quite impressive to ride. He's been toying with the idea of selling it to buy a loop from me & he threw out a very nice price he had in mind.
Moto Guzzi Robinson/C & D Motorsports
618-544-RIDE
Moto Guzzi dealer in South Eastern Illinois
Personal rides 2007 Calvin, 72 Eldo, V7 Classic, 75 RD350, GasGas Pampera 250 + a few others
2-stroke street bike enthusiast

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 06:28:33 AM »
A Lario that has had some lovin is a fine thing.. as Mark says, you need to be all in. Mine was much worse than this one when I found it.
This is when it was still a 4 valve..
003 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 08:20:24 AM »
Hey, Stay away from my possible Lario!

I fully expect to pull the heads first thing and find someone who can flow & redo the valves with something that lasts longer than 15,000 miles.

Mark

Ed Milich in SanFran / guzzipower.com
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 08:35:35 AM »
Ace Mallot. He has a *lot* of experience with the Lario from back when he was a dealer.
Or.. do it yourself. Flowing isn't necessary, the heads actually flow well enough to need bigger carbs. Nevada springs, good valves, don't run it past the redline no matter how good it feels up there.  :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 01:03:43 PM »
Duh. Just remembered that Todd at GuzziTech and Mike Wrenn have been collaborating on putting 4V heads on the new V7s. They would probably be the go to guys for the latest on Lario heads.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline danomar

• Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 04:44:27 PM »
Also the small block Bevel Box should be rebuilt.  I've had a bad experience

At the other end, the u-joint in my old V50III let go one day as I was coming home from a romp in the mountains. Forget the cardan shaft, rebuilding the transmission (because the tunnel in which the joint fits was torn apart) was the FUN part. No, wait, PAYING for it all was the fun part.

That experience lead me to buy my first new Ducati. But I still love small-block Guzzis.

If I wasn't such an idiot I'd just get a newer V7 racer to renovate.

You and me both. I keep wondering it the new V7 motor would fit in the the Lario's frame...

Something to consider: The trapezoidal brake master cylinder on the Lario and LMIV is no longer available in any form. No rebuild kit, no replacement brake cylinder, nada. No worries, you think, just replace it with a round or square master cylinder. Hm, nope, that part of the handlebar is integrated with the throttle assembly and switchgear.

I love my Larios past and present, but it is a commitment to own one.

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2017, 05:26:42 PM »
At the other end, the u-joint in my old V50III let go one day as I was coming home from a romp in the mountains. Forget the cardan shaft, rebuilding the transmission (because the tunnel in which the joint fits was torn apart) was the FUN part. No, wait, PAYING for it all was the fun part.

OK -- I get the hint.  note to self, purchase a new u-joint and have the boy replace it.  heck of a lot better than buying another case

A 2013 or new V7 racer just keeps looking better and better.

Mark
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 07:48:16 PM »
OK -- I get the hint.  note to self, purchase a new u-joint and have the boy replace it.  heck of a lot better than buying another case

Mark

Yep.

Cue Perazzimx14's plug for his 2012 Racer with the Breva 750 wheels....
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2017, 07:51:30 AM »

Mark

I did a tutorial on making a steel sleeve for the u joint tunnel on the Lario Rehab thread, but PhotoBlockit is doing that..
Yes, a Lario is a labor of love. Casual owners need not apply.  :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here