Author Topic: V7 - Tool Kit Minimum?  (Read 4640 times)

Offline Spokane2303

• Hatchling
V7 - Tool Kit Minimum?
« on: June 07, 2018, 03:01:55 PM »
I�m putting together a very basic tool kit to carry on my V7:

I�ve selected:

Leatherman Knife
Spark plug socket, extension and T-handle driver
6� Crescent Wrench
Combination screw driver - all in one type
STD. Pliers
Black tape
Assorted zip ties
Extra fuses
Shock adjusting tool
Shop rag
Disposable gloves
1- spark plug
1- spark plug cap

Anything else �critical�that I�m missing or something I don�t need on my current list?

I also have a flat plug and inflate kit with extra CO2 cartridges.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 08:37:59 AM by Spokane2303 »

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V7 - Tool Kit Minimum?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 03:06:44 PM »
You're gonna need some allen keys.
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Offline NC Steve

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 03:49:59 PM »
Cell phone and Visa card.  :thumb:
'16 Triumph T100
Past:
'19 RE Himalayan
'07 Honda ST1300
'00 Jackal,'89 Mille GT,'03 Cali Stone
4 Airheads, '88 K75,'99 BMW R1100R
___________________ ___________
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Mark Twain

Offline Spokane2303

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 03:52:05 PM »
I always have the cell phone, Visa and tow insurance!

What size Allen wrenches suggested?

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 03:52:05 PM »

Offline stonelover

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 04:04:57 PM »
Toecutter is right.  Must carry allen wrenches!

Offline rtbickel

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 04:08:33 PM »
Feeler gauge and plug gapping tool
2020 V85TT
2002 California Special Sport - The Black Widow
2014 California Touring - Stealth (Gone but not forgotten)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 04:33:57 PM »
I think you have it covered with the addition of some allen wrenches. Lets face it, you are not going to do a major overhaul on the side of the road. By far, the most likely failure you'll have is a flat. Make *sure* you can fix one. I've never tried a CO2 cartridge fix. My thinking, knowing me,  :smiley: is that it would not go well. I have a small compressor instead. If you are comfortable with the CO2.. go with it.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 06:13:41 PM »
Allen keys:-
3.5mm for the rear brake reservoir -  so you can access the positive terminal on 1TB V7s.
4mm for the side covers
5mm for most of the others
6mm for the muffler hangers & a couple of others
7mm for the front brake calliper
8mm for the rear axle & rear calliper & pin
10mm for the gearbox drain plug
14mm for the front axle - the V7C came.with a short length of hex rod in its tool kit, but the V7S didn't.

The spanners that get most use are:-
8mm
10mm
13mm
14mm (for the front axle hex rod)
17mm & 19mm (for the drain plugs, as well as others)
24mm for the rear axle

For only occasional use - 6mm, 9mm, 30mm, 32mm.

You've already got the plug spanner, the C spanner for the shocks, and the flat/Philips blade screwdriver. And the spare spark plugs & caps. And the duct tape.

On trips I also take along spare globes, a couple of 18i inch lengths of wire, a spare tube for the rear wheel, along with tyre levers (in the Beadbkr kit), a spare clutch cable & a set of spare levers. Once you pack the essential kit, these last don't take up much room, and have, on occasion, been useful - if not for me, then for someone else. In the middle of nowhere, where these things end up breaking, there's usually no convenient source. The small lithium jump starter is the back up power for the phone & tablet & sometimes starts other people's bikes or cars. If you camp a lot, it's handy.

I still haven't fixed permanently the V7C's side stand problem, so a small spray can of lubricant goes along too, and as the V7C also uses a bit of oil, 500ml in a tomato sauce bottle - these aren't necessary for the V7S.

There may be a few more, but with experience, you will develop your own preferences. Mostly, you will never need the stuff you carry, but when you do, it really handy to have been prepared.

A subscription to a roadside assist service with a free towing option has come in handy on more than one occasion. For the miles I put on these bikes, it's a cheap safety net.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 06:25:55 PM »
Must have all the common size of ring/open end wrench, get the stubby ones, you can join 2 together for extra leverage, for the wheel nuts file a hex spanner out of 1/8 or 1/4 aluminum about 4" long, beat it with a rock.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 06:37:26 PM »
I'd leave the 6inch adjustable out there might be three things you can it onto to round off on a motorcycle.

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 04:47:10 AM »
Must have all the common size of ring/open end wrench, get the stubby ones, you can join 2 together for extra leverage, for the wheel nuts file a hex spanner out of 1/8 or 1/4 aluminum about 4" long, beat it with a rock.

Get the full sized ring/open wrenches, but get them in titanium.  Softer than steel, but light enough to carry around.

If you don't have a centerstand, think about that.  It's worth it for roadside tire changes and other repairs. 

You have CO2 cartridges and plug kits, but if you have tube tires (for the older V7 series) then also get a can of tire inflator and sealant, the ones made for motorcycle use.  They are handy, and you can seal and inflate your tire without having the whole dismount wheel, pry tire off, etc.  Saved my butt once.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Online Matt Story

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Flint, MI
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 06:31:29 AM »
A tire pressure gauge is missing.

Also, I like to have the smallest multi-meter I can can find on board.  Craftsman makes one that's smaller than a deck of cards.

I would avoid the crescent wrench and carry the individual sizes, but only specific sizes.

Name brand ball ended allen wrench set such as made by Bondus.

A rag is probably included by default and doesn't need to be mentioned.
'75 850T - First & only owner
'77 Honda CB750 Supersport
'02 BMW R1150RT

Flint, MI

Online antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 06:53:27 AM »
I would not bother with feeler guages or plug gapper.
I always carry a small vice grip and a half dozen cable ties and some duct and electrical tape in addition to the above mentioned wrenches and allen keys.
It is an emergency kit, so you need to be able to improvise to get you back to civilization.

pete roper

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 07:12:02 AM »
What exactly are you expecting to do at the side of the road? In reality if your bike spits the dummy the chances of you being able to fix it at the side of the road are minimal.

Make sure before you set off that it is adequately serviced, take a tyre plugging kit, a phone and a credit card. Carrying extraneous shit is pointless. You aren’t likely to have an ‘Easily fixable’ break-down on a modern motorbike.

Offline Shiftonthefly

• New Egg
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2018, 07:21:36 AM »
Unless you're planning on riding through central America or you are traveling on back roads extensively, your list seems more than enough as is. I found a stubby crescent wrench and added that to the stock kit since it might be able to actually get into a nut/bolt. Ive never wanted to adjust my shocks on the side of the road. Usually that kind of stuff I do at home. I also wouldn't bother w feeler gauges or a plug gapper. You don't have points and the pre gap will probably get you home.

The whole point of a tool kit is to get you back to civilization if you have a problem. It's just me but carrying full size wrenches seems nuts. Or carrying 30 different Allen keys. I'd worry about a  flat and otherwise carry cell phone.

Offline timax

• New Egg
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2018, 07:49:37 AM »
What exactly are you expecting to do at the side of the road? In reality if your bike spits the dummy the chances of you being able to fix it at the side of the road are minimal.

Make sure before you set off that it is adequately serviced, take a tyre plugging kit, a phone and a credit card. Carrying extraneous shit is pointless. You aren�t likely to have an �Easily fixable� break-down on a modern motorbike.
Its amazing how many motorists like you i have helped over the years with a broken this or loose that. Personally i like to be independent and get home by Sunday evening .
Only a lame , underpowered piece of shit V7ll with a fake scrambler makeover  not really worthy of a Guzzi badge but its mine and i love it!

pete roper

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2018, 08:00:50 AM »
So do I. That’s why I ride a well maintained modern motorbike rather than a thirty year old half worn out piece of shit!

I’ve never been stranded by a Guzzi but I’ve been a lot closer with my old ones than my new ones. That’s fine though. I understand it doesn’t meet the hugely macho ‘McGyver Test’ so I’ll just hand in my man-card and live on tofu!  :grin:

Pete

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2018, 08:58:18 AM »
I'm with Mr. Roper. The only thing I beat him with is older.
I sold engineering time, process equipment and servicing. Most nights I was driving, flying, fixing or installing equipment. One day I decided to empty the trunk. For whatever reason my luck changed completely. I was no longer busting my a** trying to make people smile.
I won't take a mc with tubed tires out of town. Fixing a flat on a wire wheeled, late model Guzzi (SSSArms excepted), is best left to the next owner, IMNSHO. A center stand is nearly a hoax in itself; unless it's a chain drive; or is it just bad knees? 
Cripes! I've been lucky.  R3~ 

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2018, 09:01:51 AM »
Get one of those allen wrench tools (metric) that folds like a mini leatherman (I think they're $5 at HF).  Mini LED flashlight.  Air gauge.  Carry some spare relays and perhaps a headlight bulb.

Stop and Go tire plug kit and mini air compressor. (most important, hopefully you have tubeless tires)

I keep some spray cleaner and rags in my tank bag.

They're usually a lot of cool multi tools at HF and Cycle Gear that are cheap, useful and disposable. 

John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Dharma Bum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2018, 10:25:53 AM »
This is one of those threads that could quickly degenerate into an oil thread.  It seems like everyone's experience is different and is colored perhaps by what issues they have run into in the past.  I think you need to be realistic and in touch with what your actual capabilities to fix something on the road are.  When I toured on my Cali, it seemed like I carried enough tools to overhaul the whole bike and never had a breakdown until last summer.  My bike started bucking and misfiring during the Sturgis rally, and I rode twenty miles to my daughter's in law's cabin where we were staying running on one cylinder.  I pulled the bike into the garage and checked connections with my multi meter, fiddled with the relays and went to check the timing sensor.  I had a bunch of allen wrenches in my kit, but not the one I needed to remove the sensor!  luckily the in laws had a small set of wrenches that fit and I was back up and running.
With my new (to me) Breva, I plan on reviewing carefully critical maintenance needs and making sure I have the proper tools with me.  Things like the allen wrench needed to pull off the footpeg mounts to access the transmission end of the clutch cable.  Can't change the spare cable if you can't get to it.

Offline Idontwantapickle

• Gaggle Hero
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2018, 11:10:07 AM »
Leatherman
Tire repair kit if tubeless
Allen wrenches
Flashlight

If that won’t fix it take it to a safe place and do it right. I used to do road service and the first step is get the hell away from the road! It’s very dangerous to be roadside but y’all knew that already, right?

Lots of good advice here, I’m sure that you can sus out what’s right for you!

Hunter
There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2018, 12:08:13 PM »
I suggest a quart of water.  Seriously.  If you break down in the middle of nowhere and it is hot, you first need to take care of yourself.

It is my understanding that the two most common reasons for breakdowns is something to do with the battery (or some other stupid electrical problem).  And flat tires.  So if you cover those, you have covered most of the threat.  Keep your battery fresh, electrical connections clean and tight, and have a good tire patch kit.  I've been thinking about getting one of those remote battery jump starting things. 

I suggest you carry two spark plugs.  I've had to use two of them before, when a frog-drowning rain got water into my spark plug caps.  Of course, it is even better to seal the caps!

Definitely need a good flashlight.  Suggest a small coil of strong wire, along with the zip ties.

I personally disagree about the side-stand and more aggressive repair stuff.  If I cannot patch a tubeless tire on the side of the road, I am not going to attempt removing it.  That is hard enough to do at home on a lift with all my tools.  I figure it is tow truck time.
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2018, 12:30:03 PM »
For the newer bikes (Mille and F650) I carry the minimum. That includes a set of Allen keys to re-adjust the bars/levers/mirrors for comfort on a long trip (sometimes a small change in position can be a big relief).

For the older bikes a real tool kit is necessary -- at one time or another I've used pretty much everything mentioned above except the tire-patch stuff, and always gotten home without assistance.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2018, 01:02:56 PM »
And BTW: If you have to pull the rear wheel (OMG). Center stand or not, you should practice in a comfy place and catalog all the tools you need. W/out dismantling the final drive or deflating and re-inflating the tire I've not been able to extract the rear wheel from the bike. Just sayin'  R3~

Offline guzzimatic

• Gosling
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2018, 04:31:19 PM »
6 in.vice grip locking pliers! They fix stuff you can't even imagine ...
big Jim Walker bikes:'08 Norge,02'DR650,'84LeMans III,,'78 honda cb750k,'78 BMW R100S,'77 Ducati 860GT ES,'77honda XR75, '76 GUZZI convert,'75 850T cafe[project],'75 RD350 yamaha,'74 NORTON commando,'72 750 Norton flattrack replica,'72 250 Rickman-Montesa,'72 XL250 Honda Mosport[first bike

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2018, 06:09:29 PM »
This is a great thread!

I suppose it really depends upon how capable you are and how far you will be from civilization.

Me, I am not very capable, and I rarely venture far from civilization. Consequently, my cell phone, some cash, and my debit card are all I should ever really need (though I do have a tire patch kit and CO2 cartridges under the seat of my Norge).

I especially like the suggestions of packing duct tape and some bare wire!
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline timax

• New Egg
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2018, 06:46:29 PM »
What would be good to carry is dependant on where and for how long you ride.
Is this for morning rides close to home , day trips or overnighter well away from everyone?
Are you alone or with pillion or luggage?
My minimum is a good multi tool with pliers and 3 hex  keys. 4-6-8 i think it is.
With this i can tighten up most things that may rattle loose or twist some wire around something to bodge a repair.
Its dropping the bike more than breakdown i worry about. A simple bike laydown because you stopped  on uneven loose gravel or something stupid  can damage a gear lever or peg-exhaust etc. Being able to bodge up something to get home and fix properly is what i want. Some things take up no weight or room and so duct tapping some cable ties or allen keys to a frame tube under the seat or to the base of the storage compartment. Tape your spare fuses the same way if there are no spares in a holder under there??? I have no idea about that.
I have travelled with rear shock adjusters but only when we went on a 2 week ride with gear and a base for 5 days. I wanted to back off the springs once we were done with the luggage to have more fun on the roads where we were. They were alloy ones and didnt weigh much either.
  Then it comes to the main problem!!! How to fix a flat.
I have spoked wheels and have just made them tubeless with an "outex" kit so i can use plugs. More than that and im history. I do have a centre stand and have carried Motion-Pro alloy spoons with the right size spanner on one end plus a tube repair kit and mini hand pump for big tripswhen i had tubes. You also need to add a 7mm allen or t45 torx for the front calliper plus i think a 10mm allen and 14mm front axle one also. I practiced at home before that trip also so i knew i could do it. Travelling with wife on the back over a hard earned xmas holiday = being prepared to save disaster.
Tape some headache tabs under the seat also. Nothing worse than riding with a headache.
Only a lame , underpowered piece of shit V7ll with a fake scrambler makeover  not really worthy of a Guzzi badge but its mine and i love it!

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here