Author Topic: Mechanic north of sixty  (Read 466 times)

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
Mechanic north of sixty
« on: March 21, 2024, 08:02:54 PM »
Gents, I've been awol for over a year whilst riding and tinkering and riding some more. Hope everyone is well.
I'm scheduled mid April for a right hip replacement. Therapists suggest I shouldn't lift my knee above my hip during recovery which means, in my climate limited season, it is likely a write-off.
"Mr.Guzzi" is a 2013 Special asking for new clutch plates. Not being fool enough to think I can pull the engine on my own under the circumstances; I am considering farming out the work.
Locally I know a VW/BMW guy who I'd trust but would like to explore all other options. I've heard there is a guy in Alaska who knows the marque and does quality work. Does anyone know who this titan of twins might be? I could have the bike trailered to this shop and apparently won't be in a rush to get it back this summer.
Two thirds the way to thinking it is time to consider a hack ... Will you still respect me if I source a used Ural?
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
Re: Mechanic north of sixty
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2024, 08:38:36 PM »
I'm riding 2 Guzzi and a Ural. Guzzi just didn't cut it in the ice and snow of Massachusetts winters. My Guzzi friends still smile and offer friendly greetings.
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2024, 08:58:29 PM »
I'm riding 2 Guzzi and a Ural. Guzzi just didn't cut it in the ice and snow of Massachusetts winters. My Guzzi friends still smile and offer friendly greetings.
And they possibly ask for a ride home when winter runs over their sedan's comfort zone? 
In the 1980's I rode a two wheeled bike through three winters in Calgary until an oncoming car refused to shift off the dry line and I high sided... oops.

I have a lot of research ahead with respect to Ural. It's like having heard of Moto Guzzi as a brand but not knowing there were roller issues on some production runs.
Nice to know I'm not painted as a pariah yet.
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2024, 09:02:44 PM »
I have a lot of research ahead with respect to Ural. It's like having heard of Moto Guzzi as a brand but not knowing there were roller issues on some production runs.
Nice to know I'm not painted as a pariah yet.
Soviet Steeds discusses reliability of the various years.
https://www.sovietsteeds.com
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2024, 09:02:44 PM »

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2024, 10:09:08 PM »
I really enjoyed my 2015 Ural for the half-year that I owned it. Reverse, 2-wheel drive, parking brake…stomping your foot onto the lever just to hop into the next gear like a true ‘agricultural’ machine, being able to simply swap a wheel rather than change out a tire if one blows…
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2024, 07:34:55 AM »

Two thirds the way to thinking it is time to consider a hack ... Will you still respect me if I source a used Ural?

Urals a great.  I like them so much, I own 2.  :laugh: My advice is to find either a late carburetor rig - 2011 to 2013, or a 2nd generation EFI (Keihin) 2019 to present.  The parts supply to support the first gen ElectroJet EFI 2014-2018 has dried up.  And most importantly only buy a rig that has been faithfully maintained with documentation.  Ural longevity and reliability are greatly influenced by how well they are maintained. 

Also if you are looking at a 2012 to 2017 make sure the rim recall (NHTSA Recall No. 22V431) has been performed.  Ural provides the new rims, spokes, nipples, rim strips, inner tubes and labor at a dealer.  You can reuse your old or buy new tires to be installed while the recall is performed.  I would not buy a 2012 to 2017 that has not had the recall completed.  It is a hassle with long waits for parts and requires taking the rig to a Ural dealer for completion.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 07:46:03 AM by Dave Swanson »
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Offline ccoli

• Gaggle Hero
  • What? Me Worry?
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2024, 09:30:05 PM »
Maybe just train one of your dogs (Bernese Mountain dog) to do the heavy lifting.
Any sidecar you choose will be fun and people will make fun of. Just do what you want and screw everyone else.
Wisconsin MGNOC Rep
03 EVT/EML hack, 99 Bassa, SPIII, 3-78 Robins, 75 T3, 74 Eldo, 32 Sport15, Ambo custom.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here