Author Topic: 1100 cali engine in Loop Frame  (Read 425 times)

Offline lazlokovacs

• Gaggle Hero
1100 cali engine in Loop Frame
« on: June 01, 2023, 02:48:15 PM »
Though I'm sure this has been covered a number of times, here's my question...

In doing this conversion is the basic game plan to essentially build a bracket for the front engine mounting, find a way of generating voltage that doesn't foul the front fender and then mate the engine up to the loop frame shaft at the u-joint?? does the loop swingarm fit with the tonti frame?

I'm in an airport with a huge delay ahead of me so go on... feel free to help me in my idle explorations...

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: 1100 cali engine in Loop Frame
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2023, 03:06:38 PM »
There is a pic of dimensions of a block that was made but was weak as I remember. Made By JB maybe for his loop/EV's.
You got the right idea though. Loop & Tonti swing arms are exact same width at frame pivot pins.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2023, 04:09:08 PM »
There is a pic of dimensions of a block that was made but was weak as I remember. Made By JB maybe for his loop/EV's.
You got the right idea though. Loop & Tonti swing arms are exact same width at frame pivot pins.

I believe you're thinking about Mike Tiberio's first version of adapters.
https://www.thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_loopframe_brackets_to_mount_a_tonti_timing_cover_in_a_loop_frame.html
Those cracked, so Mike made them in two pieces, which solved it. I have a pair I don't need if anyone is interested.

One can use the crankshaft mounted alternator, but the fender brace will need to be rotated up or down for clearance, and possible the crown of the fender flattened as well (like Guzzi did on the Cal 1100 fenders). If you want a generator or alternator in the "V", swapping on a Loop timing cover is possible (timing chain Eldo will bolt right on, earlier will require removal of internal webbing). That eliminates the front engine mount issue, but then you'll need to figure a pulley hub/crank adapter. Plus the crank will likely poke out through the Loop belt cover unless it was shortened somehow.

Was there ever a Cal 1100 engine that came with the Bosch or Saprisa alternators? The 1100s are a little past my focus. If there is an 1100 with the short, tapered crank nose, then there is a ready made adapter. The top of the crankcase where the generator/alternator bracket mounts may require machining flat (if it's as-cast), holes drilled and tapped for the mounting studs.
Charlie

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2023, 04:13:22 PM »
I knew you would be along, yes, Mike made those. I knew you did the Norge.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2023, 04:13:22 PM »

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2023, 05:09:09 PM »
I knew you would be along, yes, Mike made those. I knew you did the Norge.

Yep, still working on that one.
Charlie

Offline MattP

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2023, 07:31:18 PM »
Im thinking put loop crank in 1100 block use eldo timing cover ect all this. Bolts rite up rite machine the bottom of cilinders. You would have a nice running engine with nickasil clinders and oil filter plenty beeeg power.

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2023, 10:00:40 PM »
Im thinking put loop crank in 1100 block use eldo timing cover ect all this. Bolts rite up rite machine the bottom of cilinders. You would have a nice running engine with nickasil clinders and oil filter plenty beeeg power.

Eldo crank is 78 mm stroke vs. 80 mm for the "1100", so with 92 mm pistons you'd have 1037 cc.
Charlie

Offline MattP

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2023, 11:11:25 PM »
Thanks for the math. My point all he needs s gasket set and bolt the prick together and have one of the nichest runing guzzi engines

Offline lazlokovacs

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2023, 06:34:51 AM »
Thanks guys!!

I have a spare 1100 crankcase and a spare 750 loop engine with flaky bores, could be an option to use the old crank in the new engine.

I'm also the owner of mike tiberio's eldovert so will have a close look at his brackets when I'm back in the country.

This is all just speculation at the moment!!!

Will report back if it ever gets off the ground

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2023, 08:32:50 AM »
Thanks guys!!

I have a spare 1100 crankcase and a spare 750 loop engine with flaky bores, could be an option to use the old crank in the new engine.

I'm also the owner of mike tiberio's eldovert so will have a close look at his brackets when I'm back in the country.

This is all just speculation at the moment!!!

Will report back if it ever gets off the ground

The 750 crank is even shorter stroke - 70 mm, so one would need to remove 5 mm from the bottom of the cylinder (not sure if that's feasible) or have custom connecting rods made. Displacement would end up 931 cc. Might as well use a 949 cc engine in the first place at that point, and save all of the hassle.
Charlie

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2023, 08:36:57 AM »
Thanks for the math. My point all he needs s gasket set and bolt the prick together and have one of the nichest runing guzzi engines

I'm betting the Eldo crank and 1100 crank are balanced quite differently, so it would be a good idea to have everything rebalanced. Not as simple as "bolt the ____ together"...
Charlie

Offline lazlokovacs

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2023, 09:06:57 AM »
yes, will probably just use standard 1100 engine parts

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here