Author Topic: ...to the Woody Guthrie Center in Oklahoma  (Read 2014 times)

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
...to the Woody Guthrie Center in Oklahoma
« on: December 10, 2018, 05:20:01 PM »
This isn’t so much Guzzi related (and the day I was here was too cold to be riding), but as many folks who don’t live in the central plains states might not know of any reason to stop as they pass through, here’s another reason to look around a bit more:

It's not, perhaps, surprising that the Woody Guthrie Center and Archives is in Oklahoma, but it took years for that to happen.  It's safe to say that he was not (and is not) as universally popular in his home state as you might expect--particularly being the man who wrote “Oklahoma Hills.”

Oklahoma

The museum is in the old Brady Theater district of Tulsa, which has been revitalized and restored into a vibrant area that includes people living here.

Today's signboard in the lobby.

The theater is playing a short summary of his life and works.  I’d assume that this same theater is also used for guest performers and speakers.

The dustbowl is integral to is life, so there's an exhibit that covers what happened (and why).  This reconstructed old farmhouse is part of a Virtual Reality program; put the headset on and wait for the show to begin.   It's quite remarkable; a realistic dust storm will blow in while you look out over the prairie.  Occasionally an animal (rabbit) will run by.   Look up; look down; you're sitting on the porch someplace out in Oklahoma.

It's a modern building with all the latest multi-media exhibits, but, they're all done with a purpose.  The listening stations on the left (below) cover each stage of his life.

As long as he could, he drew and wrote and played music every day of his life.

The archives contain the enormous amount of material that he created and gathered.  He wrote thousands and thousands of songs.

It was Huntington's Disease that he died from.  His symptoms were misdiagnosed as alcoholism and schizophrenia and more.  Through the foundation in his name, progress has been made in understanding this genetic disease.

jwinwi

Re: ...to the Woody Guthrie Center in Oklahoma
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 05:50:45 PM »
Thank you for posting. Always look forward to your photos! :thumb:

oldbike54

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 06:05:32 PM »
 It really is a cool museum , appropriate for a man of Woody's importance .

Dusty

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 08:11:38 PM »
The place has a really nice vertical platform lift, supplied by Country Home Elevator, Brighton, mo.  :thumb:

Also enjoy son Arlio and nephew Hoyt Axton.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 08:11:38 PM »

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 07:54:50 AM »
Woody was a national treasure.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 11:19:13 AM »
1:42 from Cedar Vale. Sounds like a plan.. :smiley: Thanks again, Daniel.. :thumb:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 11:28:39 AM »
1:42 from Cedar Vale. Sounds like a plan.. :smiley: Thanks again, Daniel.. :thumb:

I'd do that!

oldbike54

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 11:57:50 AM »
 I can do the Cedar Vale to Tulsa run in about 85 minutes , then again I have some practice with it  :grin:

Dusty

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 01:23:19 PM »
I can do the Cedar Vale to Tulsa run in about 85 minutes , then again I have some practice with it  :grin:

Dusty

Those Oklahoma roads can be soooo challenging  :rolleyes:

oldbike54

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2018, 03:07:19 PM »
Those Oklahoma roads can be soooo challenging  :rolleyes:

Obviously you are unaware of highway 11 , we can explore it next year , or you can ask Paul and Prescott  :tongue:

Dusty

pete roper

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2018, 03:20:38 PM »
It's a great museum, we were there in 2013. Somewhere I've got a 'This machine kills fascists' sticker that is going on the Griso next time I get it clear coated again or re-paint, that I bought there. It seemed like an admirable sentiment.

Pete

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2018, 06:37:40 PM »
It's a great museum, we were there in 2013. Somewhere I've got a 'This machine kills fascists' sticker that is going on the Griso next time I get it clear coated again or re-paint, that I bought there. It seemed like an admirable sentiment.

Pete

Pete, you must have been one of the first to visit the place since it opened in 2013.  There were a few of Guthrie's guitars (and other instruments), but none of them had the famous "This machine kills fascists" sticker.  I asked about that and they said that his guitars passed through his hands easily, and there's no telling where it ended up.  They have never found one with the sticker that could reliably be traced back to Guthrie.  Of course, I think Woody would only smile and say "I think you're missing the point."

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2018, 06:46:41 PM »
From Daniel:
Of course, I think Woody would only smile and say "I think you're missing the point."
:thumb:
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Devildog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2018, 08:20:00 PM »
It is funny how a Broadway musical is more well known for creating the state's identity than the work of a native folk hero....on the subject of famous Okies, the Will Rogers museum in Claremore is well worth the trip out there.
'93 Daytona 1000
'95 Sport 1100
'98 Ducati 900 SS Final Edition
2002 Aprilia RSV Mille R
'10 GasGas e250 FE

oldbike54

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2018, 08:39:12 PM »
It is funny how a Broadway musical is more well known for creating the state's identity than the work of a native folk hero....on the subject of famous Okies, the Will Rogers museum in Claremore is well worth the trip out there.

Oklahoma was based on an earlier play *Green grow the lilacs* written by a man from Claremore OK . The weird thing is how the Rogers and Hammerstein play focused on Central and Western OK , when the original story was set in the Ozark plateau of NE OK . It is doubtful that Rogers or Hammerstein were actually ever here before writing Oklahoma .

Dusty

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2018, 10:29:19 PM »
.........and soon we'll get the Bob Dylan museum in T-Town
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here