Author Topic: V85TT Center stand install  (Read 4289 times)

Offline richthib

• New Egg
  • Lifetime MGNOC #5
V85TT Center stand install
« on: September 17, 2019, 11:25:03 PM »
Has anybody self installed the center stand kit for the new V85TT?  I'm picking up the part from the dealer tomorrow and they want $200 to install, so I thought I'd give it a go.  Any special tips or tricks?
13 Moto Guzzis since 1975  Currently 2014 California 1400 touring and 2014 V7 Special.

Offline slopokes

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: V85TT Center stand install
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 12:51:49 PM »
Can’t be too hard—- my dealer did it for the price of the stand.... :boozing:

Offline Trialsman

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 01:00:42 PM »
Do it yourself and take the $200 and spend it on your wife.
2010 FE570 Husaberg
2019 Alta Redshift EXR
2019 Alta Redshift EXR - clone
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Centenario
2024 Stelvio V100

Offline NWrider

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 03:25:16 PM »
If you don't get the instructions with your center stand, see if you can get a pdf  from AF1 Racing.  It's a very tight fit and three hands are better than two~!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 03:28:22 PM by NWrider »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 03:25:16 PM »

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 06:40:51 PM »
Can’t be too hard—- my dealer did it for the price of the stand.... :boozing:

Me too.  Dealer installed accessories pre-delivery.  Kev an I put one on my V7.  Springs are a bitch, so have some sort of puller.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline NWrider

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 10:56:35 PM »
Speaking of the center stand springs - I used a brake spring puller (almost like a hay hook) attached to a come-along and my Kendon trailer as an anchor and I still had to chock the wheels on the trailer to prevent it from moving toward the bike as I pulled ---  those springs are tough!!

Offline wyno

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 03:44:34 AM »
I just watched a video of an english guy who was detailing the things he likes and doesn't like after 4000 miles on his V85. He tried to put the centrestand on himslef but found it too hard and had to get the dealer to do it. He said that the mechanic who did it was not happy.
Wyno

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 06:26:56 AM »
I take the centrestand off my Norge to grease the pivots at service and replace it by hooking up the springs, then using the leverage of the stand to install the pivot bolts.
Don’t know if that’ll work on the V85...(yet)  :clock:

Offline DesertPilot

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2020, 05:26:29 PM »
Installed the center stand today using a folding lugnut wrench I'd saved from an old TR-8, some 505 cord, a cable clamp to keep the cord from slipping, and lots of vinyl pipe tape to prevent scratches.  Once I got the cords sorted, it was fairly painless.  Here's a photo.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2020, 06:49:07 PM »
On tonti frame bikes I put coins or washers in the spring to lengthen it until I can clip on a needle nose vice grip and slip it over the pin. I’m sure it’s more complicated on a new machine. But everything is😄
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline DesertPilot

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2020, 07:52:54 PM »
On tonti frame bikes I put coins or washers in the spring to lengthen it...
That was Plan A (actually it was more like Plan G, but who keeps count of these things?).  Unfortunately the springs were too stiff and those protective rubber tubes covered too much of the coils for me to make it work.  People on the Advrider forum recommended any number of other good schemes (those were Plans H through N), but these seemed to have issues too.  I was going to fabricate a puller from an eyebolt and an angle bracket (Plan O), because members of my tribe are genetically coded to devise complicated solutions to simple problems.  Then, when I was rummaging through my old tools, I noticed a forgotten lugnut wrench that would fit perfectly into the loop at the foot of the stand and just screamed to be used as a lever (Plan P).

After that, the rest was easy.  No muss, no fuss, no cursing, no bloody knuckles, no "If this bit slips, life sucks," moments  :grin:  I hope this scheme is of some use to someone else.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2020, 12:25:29 AM »
Well you don’t need to know how I did mine then..
Well done.  :thumb:

Offline Pfestus1

• New Egg
    • Twin Valley Rally
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2020, 08:29:53 PM »

I like your method to stretch the springs. My Postal Gal delivered a big box today that contained my center stand and engine guards. I got right on the center stand installation. I removed the muffler and cat because I didn't think there was room enough to get the center stand bolts in place. I think it did make things a bit easier. When I got to the time to stretch the springs I contemplated some way to get a mechanical advantage. I ended up tying the stand in the up position, and put a long stout Philips screw driver thru the hole in the spring holder thing. Then I pried against the stand itself where the rubber bumpers are. I was able to get it close, just needed a bit more leverage. So I got a big long large box end wrench that was big enough to slip over the screw driver handle and give me more leverage. That was fairly easy to pull the springs back till the hook grabbed it's pin.

I would caution folks to be careful when removing the header pipe covers. The little hex head screws are easy to strip. I have one I have to deal with tomorrow to finish up the job.
Pfestus1
Roanoke, VA
2020 Moto Guzzi V85TT, 1973 BMW R75/5, 1984 BMW R100/Dnepr sidecar rig.

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2020, 07:01:51 AM »
I would caution folks to be careful when removing the header pipe covers. The little hex head screws are easy to strip. I have one I have to deal with tomorrow to finish up the job.

One of mine was totally stripped too.  I had to cut a slot with the Dremel do I could remove with a flat head screwdriver.  Replaced them all with new stainless bolts and washers.  Had the shields and bash plate Cerakoted while I was at it.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 07:03:13 AM by Cam3512 »
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline jrt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2020, 12:01:05 PM »
I took out the lower plug cover on the rear drive, threaded in a long bolt.  Then took an all-thread rod and put a eye-bolt on one end, looped it over said bolt.  Put on several washers at the other end (one with a hole drilled through it) and a nut.  Wired the spring holder to the washer with some baling wire (balin' war) and used the nut to suck it backwards on the threaded rod.  Pretty painless.  Had to cut the all-thread to fit (about 1.5 foot long).
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2021, 03:14:48 PM »
If anybody is still having issues with stretching the springs for centerstand installation on a V85TT, I found it very easy to use a tie down strap (ratcheting type not required).  First install the stand without the spring assembly.  Then install the spring assembly to the bike, not the stand.  Then connect one end of the tie down strap through hole in the aft spring hook, the other end wrapped around the rear wheel rim at the back, close to the ground.  Then just push the bike forward and use the mechanical advantage of the rear wheel to stretch the spring to be installed on the pre-installed centerstand.  Push the rear spring hook onto the stand and you’re done.  Make sure to protect the rear rim from the strap with a rag.  Super easy.

If you leave the bike in gear and pull the clutch when pushing the bike forward, holding the front brake and then releasing the clutch when the spring is stretched will leave the spring at the right length for installation on the stand.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 07:17:34 PM by Tusayan »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2021, 04:00:25 PM »
If anybody is still having issues with stretching the springs for centerstand installation on a V85TT, I found it very easy to use a tie down strap (ratcheting type not required).  First install the stand without the spring assembly.  Then install the spring assembly to the bike, not the stand.  Then connect one end of the tie down strap through hole in the aft spring hook, the other end wrapped around the rear wheel rim at the back, close to the ground.  Then just push the bike forward and use the mechanical advantage of the rear wheel to stretch the spring to be installed on the pre-installed centerstand.  Push the rear spring hook onto the stand and you’re done.  Make sure to protect the rear rim from the strap with a rag.  Super easy.

If you leave the bike in gear and pull the clutch when pushing the bike forward, holding the front brake and then releasing the clutch when the spring is stretched will leave the spring at the right length for installation on the stand.
Typically brilliant... :thumb:

Offline 9fingers

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2021, 10:05:55 AM »
That strap approach was pretty clever!
Scott
Current bikes:
V7 III Special - Sophia
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 Bullet - Guinevere
Suzuki V Strom 650 - Rita
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL250 custom
Honda TL125
Yamaha TY350

Online KiowaEagle

• New Egg
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2022, 08:14:18 PM »

I just installed my center stand and although I used a ratchet strap I didn’t tie it to the wheel like you did Tusayan. I think the idea is brilliant but I was afraid of damaging the spokes.

What I did do the same as you was install the stand hook facing down and when I went back to look at the directions it’s facing up like the one connected to the frame. Getting that thing on there was not easy and I do not look forward to taking it off, turning it around and putting it back on again. So tell me, has it made a difference? I can’t see why it would but then again I don’t want the thing flying off while I’m riding.
2021 V85tt
2020 1400GTR
2014 CB1100DLX
2015 Norge

Online brother dave

• New Egg
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2022, 08:04:13 PM »

I installed mine about six months ago using this technique discovered on WildGuzzi.  It was a snap.
2007 California Vintage (left the nest)
2018 V7 III Special
2021 V85 Centenario

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2022, 09:10:54 AM »
I flipped the hook so it is facing up shortly after figuring out the technique posted.  You can do it either way, although as I remember it was slightly more challenging when I flipped it.

Offline injundave

• Gosling
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2022, 03:59:03 PM »
Search for Cubbysue on youtube. Thie guy has several "how to" videos including how to fit a center stand. I followed his example after watching the video twice and had no trouble fitting the stand.
1975 850 T3
1980 V50 (Now belongs to my daughter)
2019 V85TT

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here